Question about Denon DVD-2900 and maybe 2200

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 381
I noted on the display window of our DVD-2900 a fluro icon for HDCD. There is nothing in the specs or promotions about the player that suggests it has the decoder, but I am wondering if there is a 'secret' method of access - or is it there for future software upgrade. Or are all the displays the same and this accommodates the players that do have the HDCD decoder? Just a thought!

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 446
rantz i am pretty sure both the denon 2200 and 2900
do not have hdcd decoding built in but they will
play the cd's.maybe that is what they mean.

so if you have a reciever or some form of dac that
supports hdcd you can take advantage of it.

my hk supports hdcd so i can play hdcd cd's from
the digital out of the 2200 and have the hk do the
decoding.

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
Kegger

Thanks. But any DVD or CD player will play HDCD's in the plain format. I was really just wondering why "HDCD" appears on the 2900's window display. When playing a HDCD the icon does not light up nor is there any sonic difference so no it is not supported. Just strange that the icon is there.

BTW: the only glitch so far with the 2900 is that it won't select either DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 from the disc menu on Diana Krall's "Live In Paris" DVD-V. It reverts to DD stereo. The disc menu seems a bit strange: when selecting a format all three options light up, yet our other player (Luxman) still recognizes the selected option. Strange!
Everything else I've thrown at it is fine. Great Picture and sound. No sign of layer changes.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1451
My Rantz,

Displays can be generic. There is "jazz", "stadium" and even "Karaoke" on my NAD receiver's display. They never light up, of course, except if I make the whole display go on.

Re "Live in Paris"; have you selected the correct "digital audio out" option in the player's set-up menu? There is usually one which auto-detects DTS (Stream/PCM) or Dolby Digital 5.1. If you don't tell it, it could be using a default setting you do not want.

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
John A

Thanks. It selects any option on all other DVD-V's but I check that again.

Unregistered guest
The HDCD Icon is only there because de DENON 5900 has HDCD decoding, so I think the same display is used in both models.

Unregistered guest
The HDCD Icon is only there because de DENON 5900 has HDCD decoding, so I think the same display is used in both models.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us