Preamp for the iPod?

SuperG
Unregistered guest
I currently play my iPod through the Aux input of my intergrated amplifier/receiver. The problem is I have to turn the iPod volume up to about three-quarters (after that it distorts) and the stereo's volume up pretty loud too just to hear it at the volumes I'd listen to if this were a CD. Wondering if I should get a pre-amp. Would this improve the signal from the iPod and potentially improve the audio I'm getting out of this thing? Or should I just continue to use my CD player and give up on mp3 technology?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6565

You already have a pre amp built into the integrated amplifier. The basic rule is don't worry about where the volume controls are set as long as you can drive the amplifier to full volume. This is nothing more than a bit of a mismatch between output voltage of the Ipod and input sensitivity of the integrated amplifier's pre amp section. Check your manual for the integrated. Some pre amps will have slightly different sensitivity specs for different inputs. If there is another input with a lower sensitivity spec, try it. Do not use the phono input.

Username: Harrypalmer

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 10
Ha Ha Ha. Preamp for a MP3 is ridiculous. Lower data rate = lower sound quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us