Cart/stylus recommendations?

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 90
Seems I have to really crank up my NAD T752 receiver (-11 on the volume meter) up to get my records to play "loudly", now I'm not talking shake the house down loud (I'm not a 16 Yr old blasting Motley Crew lol, rather 48 and still enjoying old Steely Dan, CSN and Loggins and Messina) but for some good above average volume listening. I have a NAD T752 Receiver, NAD PP2 Phone pre-amp, Technics SL-Q2 Turntable and Paradigm Studio 20v3 speakers. -11 using my old Yamaha CDX710 CD Player equals shake the house down volume so I am thinking maybe my old Shure M97 cart w/N97he/ERA1V might be in need of replacement.. Would this be the case? The sound is ok but the volume difference has me a big concerned. The setting on my PP2 is correct at MM and ground is properly connected.. Any advice is appreciated..

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 91
Well before anyone had a chance to post a reply I cleaned the stylus and after a record or two it really opened up.... Cancel that need for a new stylus :-) .. I had a problem a couple months ago where I found when turning a album over there was oil all over it, it was on the rubber mat and some under the mat. I cleaned it all up and cleaned the album really well thinking my kids did something, well next day same thing.. I posted a question here on this forum asking you guys if the rubber mats on 70's Technics turntable could have been filled with a oil or fluid in for vibration dampening, the mat does look dried out where it the oil seemed tom come from. All said no, so I benched the turntable , literally, I put it on my work bench and just got around to really checking into what the story could be. Took off the mat the mat and underneath the mat had oil, I kept the mat off and cleaned the turntable platter, traced and cut a piece of towel to take the rubber mats place and ran record after record. Nothing, brought it up and put it back in my setup and been playing albums all day and not a drop of oil... wierd huh.. got a feeling oil must have gotten on the stylus too hence the reason for low volume but the cleaning and playing of albums have opened it up nicely..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us