A different Axiom vs Ascend vs Aperion question

Username: Sandman

Post Number: 1
I'd hate to bore anyone regarding these three fine speaker manufacturers but I have one more question to ask before this horse, which has been beaten to death, decays. I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on the following configurations. I plan to mate them with a Marantz 5400/ 6400 receiver. Here goes:

1) Axiom Grand Master (kind of) with VP 150 for center, QS4s for surrounds, M22s for mains, and Hsu VTF-2 for the sub. This will cost about $1710 stands included. The guys at Axiom are discouraging the use of the Hsu. Any thoughts?

2) Ascend CBM 170 x4 for mains and surrounds with the new CMT340 for center (the new center is based on the CBM 170) and the Hsu VTF-2. This will run about $1670 stands included.

3)Aperion intimus 5.1 with 10" sub. This is the cheapest of the three and runs about $1580 with stands.

I will be using the system for 50%HT/ 50% music. I know all three are good, but if it were you Berny, Hawk, etc. and you were putting up your hard earned cash which would you get and why?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 445
with an excellent amp like the marantz, I would use the Axiom Grand with an SVS or HSU sub, hands down. You actually put it in the order of my preference. I'm surprised that Axiom discouraged the use of HSU sub, but then again they would recommend their own against another. Although the Axiom Sub is very good in its own right, the accuracy and quickness of the Hsu sub is far superior from my experience.
However, if I'm assembling the Axiom set-up, it would be the Epic 60 for the mains and the m22 for the surrounds. It's one of my set-ups, so I'm biased, heh! Don't get me wrong, I've tried the set-up you wanted on issue number 1 and it is nothing to sneeze at...a totally impressive set! I just preferred the mid-bass response of the m60s, plus the wife just authorized a bigger budget.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us