They say my speakers are popping cause I'm not getting a constant 120V current

Username: Urlacher

Post Number: 7
I spoke to vanns.com and they said that my jbl speakers are popping because I'm not getting a constant 120V current going through my Kenwood VR-7060. They said that maybe a power conditioner could remedy the situation. Is this something that could be the problem??? I know I have a ton of things plugged into one out let. Lets see my receiver,my cable box,my powered sub,my TV,my DVD player are all plugged into one outlet. Let me know what yall think. Thanks

Peter M
Unregistered guest
Does it pop when you turn the power on and off? If it does then they might be right. You'll need to bring in some power from another circuit, not just a neighboring outlet. You can find another circuit by turning off the only the one circuit breaker that feeds your system then getting the nearest outlet that still has power.

If it doesn't pop when you turn the power on and off then why would a less severe power fluctuation cause a noise? It would have to be bad hardware.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 159
David,

I'm no expert on this subject but maybe a test using seperate extension cords to various outlets or borrowing a power conditioner may determine if vanns.com is right. If so, then you can spend the money.

Post Number: 9
no, it only pops when its on and then it seems to stop in like 15 minutes. Maybe I should exchange the Kenwood for something else

Peter M
Unregistered guest
You're right - it has to be the receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 160
If you do have a power related problem, then exchanging for something else may be futile.

You asked people here for advice but don't seem interested, so why bother posting in the first place?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 501
David:

I am very skeptical of vanns.com's solution. Frankly, it doesn't seem logical to me, but I am not an expert. My reasoning is that if you are not getting a constant 120V current (possible), a line condiitoner does nothing to solve this. All a line conditioner does is to filter out the noise within the current. But if you are not getting enough current, then that requires a voltage regulator, which costs considerably more money (like nearly $1K as I remember). If you think you have a power problem, I would contact your local utility first to see if they have had any reported fluctuations in the power. Then, I would spend $60 to have an electrician test the voltage at my house before I spent $200+ on a line conditioner.

I think it is far more likely that you have a bad power supply in your Kenwood. Have it checked out at a warranty station. Or, you could take it to a friend's house and try it there with your speakers. If there is no problem at the friend's house, you may have some bad wiring in your home.

Good luck, my friend.

Post Number: 10
thanks guys, I'm just gonna exchange the receiver for another brand. I just have to figure out which one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I decided to trade the kenwwod in for a Onkyo TX-SR501. I think this go around with kenwood has scared me off.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us