Set up

Bronze Member
Username: Crazyhorse

Post Number: 11
hello, back again with another question.
I am loving my NAD T533/T743/Monitor Audio B2 setup
I am wanting to drip my feet into multi channel audio by adding a set of rear speakers, which is where the difficulty starts.
1. Budget - not very big
2. Room - not very big
SO with this in mind i was thinking about adding a pair of Tannoy Fusion R Speakers. These guys are in my price range, and I imagine would be perfect size. But I am wondering firstly if these are designed to work with a subwoofer in the system. At the moment I wouldnt be able to afford one, as they seem rather expensive to me. The documents that came with the NAD states that a speaker that is classed as "small" (a speaker not capable of response below 80hz) would need a sub. I dont know what these speakers are capable of. My second question is if a center channel speaker and sub is vital in the multi channel set up, as i cant see myslef getting it for a while. I really just want to concentrate on the front and rear channels. Any advice on cheapish (sub £100) rears that wouldnt require a sub, and arent too big??
I mainly use this system for music ie CD/DVD-A
You guys have been great on here, so I hope you can help again
cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2182
Unless you use full range speakers (that roughly means 20khz (+) in the top range and around 40hz or less in the lower ranges), to get the maximum benefit from DVD-A (and DD & DTS) you really need a subwoofer unless your speakers lower end are REALLY low. But this is something you can add later. I went from having smaller speakers for rears and finally ended up with the same (B&W 602 S3's) front and rear with an B&W LCR for a center. I had the crossover set at 80hz with speakers set to small but recently changed the setting to large and removed the crossover setting. I now get a much "fuller" more dynamic sound. It is wonderful - especially for the hi-res discs. Personally, I believe much is to be gained by having decent range speakers front, back and center and a sub, though there are a few on this forum who will disagree. As far as I'm concerned, the proof is in the listening. Hope this helps - though I know it won't with your budget. My advice - what you can't afford now - wait until you can. I know I lost money by not doing the same.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks mate. Not what i really wanted to hear!!
Prehaps I am jumping in a little fast

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2183
The advice I gave was not to say you shouldn't use smaller speakers for rears - just to say the larger - the better. Your room may not be suitable for that so if you do go smaller then a sub would definately be beneficial especially if your mains don't have a very low bass response. As a big fan of multi-channel hi-res, smaller rears are better than none. It also may depend on your musical tastes. Mine are Jazz, Blues, Jazz/blues and decent 70's & 80's rock. While most instruments don't go below around 60hz many recordings employ effects that can - and do.

Good luck with it and I'm pleased you are enjoying your NAD gear.

Username: Wavelength

Post Number: 9
I think a lot of people who are moving from stereo to 5.1 do it in increments - so your situation is common. I started with my old front speakers as my rears. They were Paradigm 11seMk3 and they stood 4 ' high. It was crazy but I could now here the rear channels and it was wonderful.

The Monitor Audio B2's have a pretty decent frequency range at 42Hz-22KHz. Set them to large to get the most bass possible. Set the Tannoy Fusion R to small and see how it sounds. Experiment - the Tannoy Fusion R's might sound better set to large. At least they are real rear speakers.

When I finally got my center speaker it made more difference than I thought it would - so yeah you have a way to go. As for a subwoofer - I still don't have one. But as I told you before - there's no way I'm going back to stereo. A subwoofer is a must and so is a center speaker and you're going to wish you had them but they'll just have to come later.

You are going to have 4.0 instead of 2.0. Configure the speaker setup on the dvd player - telling it what speakers you have and what speakers you don't.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
thanks for that. i was thinking of maybe stepping the rears up to a pair of tannoy fusion 2's for the rears. hopefully this will have a little more meat than the fusion R. As you say, at least 4.0 must be better than 2.0

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 419
Also, it's worthy trying to get matching speakers. I.e. having similar profile, otherwise some music can sound a little wierd, or at least lacking balance.

Good luck
AL

Post Number: 10
AL makes an important point. The 5.1 listening experience becomes most impressive when the speakers work together to produce a seamless multi-dimensional sound. A lot of this depends on the engineering behind the recording. But mixing different speaker brands might also work against acheiving the seamless sound that, as you listen to more and more 5.1 music, you will recognize and want to hear. That's the sound that makes it so different from stereo - it's what gets you truly hooked on 5.1.

The Monitor Audio BFX is the matching rear for the B2 but is costs considerably more than the Fusion 2. It's tough with so many speakers to buy. Basically you have to decide if you just want something to get you into surround sound that will get you by - until the time and place is right to build the system that will leave you with no regrets.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
you guys have been a great help, but its getting really frustrating!
I really cant afford anything too expensive, and really get afford to get a sub, i dont know if the MA BFX requires one. So if i wanted to keep the same brand would a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B1s require one?. I understand that this is more expensive than the fusion 2s, but at least i would be keeping it "in the family", and i admit i do like the sound of my monitor audios. thanks for your help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Okay Adam, 5.1 is confusing and requires some self-learning in order to minimize the frustration. Your idea of choosing the B1s instead of the BFXs is probably not a choice you'd be happy with. The B1s are not a rear speaker where the BFXs are. Get out there on the net and find some articles about surround sound. Get a handle on exactly what the different speakers in a 5.1 system do.

I really think that this is the best advice I can offer. Once you get a basic understanding I'm sure you'll find it a lot easier to make your purchasing decisions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
To address the specific question that you asked in your last post, whether you buy the B1s or the BFXs (or whatever), you're still going to need a subwoofer. In fact, you're going to need all 6 speakers to faithfully reproduce a 5.1 track.

But like a lot of us you can't buy all of them at once so you get what you can with the idea of one day ending up with the complete system that you really want. Just think, everytime you add to your system things just get better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
i think i have been convinced. i may have to wait a little longer but i think i will go for the MA BFX and the matching Monitor Audio ASW 100 Sub-woofer. I will have to wait a lot longer for the center. At least i will be on my way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Does the 5.1 mix on SACD and DVD audio allow for setps with less speakers then 5.1?. I understand that bass management redirects the LFE channel to other speakers if a sub isnt available, but does that also apply to the absence of a center channel speaker? I was always under the impression that a pair of decent front speakers was to produce a decent front sound stage anyway, especially in music. if a center isnt available, does the signal from that incorporate into the fronts, or is that signal just lost?

Rantz
Unregistered guest
The two fronts will be okay and although some may disagree, I believe a centre speaker (which can be put in the mix later) adds some weight to the overall sound. The LFE will also be directed to mains if a sub is not present.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
does this also apply to SACD, as i heard that SACD multichannel 5.1 mixes do require the full 5.1 speaker setup, and have poor bass management?

Rantz
Unregistered guest
I'm not sure, though I would think if a center was not selected the signal would still be sent to the mains as in any surround format. I may well be wrong - I'll have to remember to turn off my center and see what happens. If I do (remember that is) I shall report back.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us