Turntable playback problems

Username: Switch

Post Number: 1
I've got a Stanton STR8-50 turntable. I also have a surround sound system. When I plug my tuntable into the phono input and set the amp to phono, I don't get sound. I've tried many combinations of inputs and stuff, but no matter what I do I can't any sound to come out. The turntable turns on and spins and everything, and the system turns on and works. But together, they do nothing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Username: Uncle_fester

Transylvania

Post Number: 4
Can you give some more info please?

- Have you ever had the turntable working - on another system perhaps. (If so, do you have the old system to conirm that it is still working?)

- What make/model surround system are you plugging it into?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5614

Your surround sound receiver probably does not have a phono pre amp built into its circuitry. But, instead it has another high level input that can accept an outboard phono pre amp. Read your owner's manual.

Post Number: 2
Uncle Fester-
The turntable does work. I've played it through the aux on a different stereo.
The system is a Philips FR-968 digital audio/video surround receiver.

Jan Vigne-
I'm not sure about all that. >_>
I don't have the owners manual as it is years old, and used to belong to someone else (it was being used for a tv).

Thanks guys

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 488
The input most likely says Phono, but doesn't have a true phono input.

A couple of other questions -

Does it have an MM/MC switch? It could be set to the wrong one.

When you play records, hold your ear very close to the cartridge. Can you very faintly hear the music playing from the cartridge? If not, it may be the cartridge.

Did you double check the wires to make sure they are plugged in all the way?

Is the cartridge properly mounted?

Some food for thought...

Post Number: 3
It doesn't have an MM/MC switch as far as I can tell.

And yes, I can hear the faint music, so it's not the cartridge.

And yes, all the wires are plugged in, and working.

So I suppose it's the phono input. If that's not what it means, then why does it say phono? And does this mean that I can't use these speakers with the turntable? :-(

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 495
What do the speakers have to do with the turntable? Just because you can't get turn table sound doesn't mean anything in regards to using or not using speakers.

In regards to your turntable situation - You've eliminated just about every possibility. I'd have to say that you don't have a true Phono input. Why would they label it as such? I have no idea, but I guess it does happen.

I've seen phono pre-amps in Circuit City. I think the brand was ESA and it was about $30. I couldn't find it on their website though. I'd try this as an inexpensive diagnostic tool that you could return. What you do is plug the turntable into this pre-amp with RCA's, and then plug the pre-amp into the receiver using RCA's. Best Buy may have the same thing or similiar.

I don't know of any other phono pre-amps that start for less than $120. Judging from your equipment - please don't take any offence - I doubt you would hear any significant difference between the ESA and a $120 Pro-Ject Phono Box through the Phillips AVR. The build quality between the pre-amps would be night and day, and if you were to upgrade the receiver down the road, the Pro-Ject may be something worth looking into after you've confirmed that you need a phono pre-amp. But until then, I'd personally go with the ESA

Post Number: 4
Alright, I'll give that a shot. It's not a huge deal, because I didn't buy this system. Someone is lending it to me just to see if it will work with my turntable. I've got seven brand new NOFX records I'm dying to listen to.
Thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1040
Wait a minute guys. If the input says phono, it should be configured for phono. Why are you assuming otherwise?

Transylvania

Post Number: 8
I did not assume that, that is why I requested info on what the model was.
I have never come across an AVR which had a proper phono input though - but then again, they don't usually have RCA inputs which are actually marked as phono.
I cannot find any online documentation for the Philips FR-968, unfortunately.

It seems highly likely to me that an external phono amp will be required.

Transylvania

Post Number: 9
I have been informed that Sony AVRs usually have a proper phono circuit built in, but that does not help here.

There are various phono pre-amps which are available on Ebay, at all sorts of prices. Here is an example.
I've no idea if it is any good though!

Fester

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5640

Just because an input is labeled on the front of the faceplate, that does not imply there will be the curcuitry to accomodate the equipment suggested.

Try this on for size. First, a minor point, it looks good to have lots of inputs labeled on the front. People see that and think, "gosh, this does a lot." They do not think, "will I ever use all that?"

Second, if an input is labeled for phono, it can be meant for the convenience of knowing which input has your outboard phono pre amp plugged into it. Placing the phono pre amp into yet another "AUX 5" input is not convenient if you only use the turntable on occasion. If it is labeled "PHONO", you always know where to go even if it has been a year since you last used the input.

Phono does not imply there will be a phono pre amp inside the receiver. It is merely another marketing tool.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1051
I disagree with Jan for two reasons: 1)it is contrary to my experience (I've never owned equipment with a phono input that did not work) and 2)it would be deceptive advertising and subject to penalty under federal and state laws. There may be exceptions to this, but in general if it has a phono input, it should accommodate a phono without a separate preamp.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5643

Well then, DW, I would suggest you go down to a best buy and check whether each reciever with "phono" on the front has a pre amp. Expand your experiences. And, no, it would not be deceptive advertising for the very reason I gave. The input can be used for a phono, if you have a phono pre amp connected to that input. Just as tuner can be used for a tape deck. That does not constitute false advertising. Is it false advertising if someone puts a tuner into this input labeled "phono" and it works?

The manufacturers advertise their amplifers will produce "X" amount of wattage into an 8 Ohm load. We know that doesn't mean the amp will produce that wattage into a real loudspeaker. No one accuses them of false advertising. Simply because there is some discretion in how the advertising should be understood.

You seem to be missing a few pieces of the puzzle, here, DW.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1055
You're entitled to your opinion. As usual, I'll give it the nominal consideration I believe it deserves.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5646

Ooooh, Wiley. How superior of you! And how inferior of you to think it is only opinion. Go. Check it out, young man. Then come back and report.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 498
Dale -

Did you not see all of the questions we asked to dteremine if the Phono input was a true Phono input or not? Seeing as how everything we asked has been looked into, how does it not sound logical that it isn't a true Phono input?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1059
Yeah, I saw your input. So what? Wouldn't be the first time that a bunch of posters are wrong or dumb. Look at those of you who continue to purchase Samsung.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 506
What's your problem?

Did mommy and daddy not give enough attention?

Are you one of those who is mad at the world because you still live in your parents basement with nothing better to do with your time?

Are you so insecure that you need to insult other people's intelligence to make yourself feel better?

Or are you so insecure that you have to keep arguing a point even though you know you've been proven wrong, but can come to terms with it?

I think it's probably all of the above, and then some.

One more thing - Where exactly did Samsung come into the picture?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1060
None of the above Stu Pid. Stay away from the pop psychology. You have enough difficulty conveying accurate and useful audio/video info.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 515
Dale -
You really are a piece of work. Speaking of pop-psychology, I actually have a master's degree in school counseling. I don't need it to know you have some problems though. Think about it this way, do you really think the whole world is messed up, or could it just be you? Every time you've opened your mouth in this forum, you've you've been the center of an arguement. Instead of blaming everyone else, maybe you should start to look inward. Enough about that one.

As for your initial agguement -
"There may be exceptions to this, but in general if it has a phono input, it should accommodate a phono without a separate preamp."

You even said yourself that it is possible for the input to not be a true phono input, so why keep agruing a point that has been proven and even you've accepted?

Seems like you're the one with the innacurate and contradictory information. Once again, not everyone else, just you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1067
Thanks for the compliment. Well Stu, guess they were handing out degrees by the arm load when you got yours. Thanks for your seering analysis. Yeah, I think the whole world is messed up in one way or another. Maybe you should volunteer your counseling expertise on those who think that it's just perfect.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 519
You're dodging my question here - You said there are execptions, yet argue very intently that there aren't. Why is that?

As to my degree, I got it for free. I guess I was so good at my job that they gave me a fellowship. I mentored undergrads in exchange for a tuition waiver. Now I'm a full time health care professional and tenure track instructor at a very prestigious college.

Just out of curiosity, what have you ever done?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1070
A lot more than humility will allow me to brag about. Let's just say I made history when I assumed my current position and unlike you, nothing was ever given to me. I worked extra hard to overcome barriers of race and God's grace kicked in when I faced rampant discrimination. These are things that I doubt you will ever understand given your "holier than thou" attitude. So let's not compare accomplisments because you have no frame of reference.

Bronze Member

Transylvania

Post Number: 11
dudee dude,

When you replied to me last time, I was obviously not capable of reading/understanding too clearly. You said "The turntable does work. I've played it through the aux on a different stereo.

Playing the deck through the aux inputs implies that the deck has an onboard pre-amp, although this is not mentioned in the feature list of the STR8-50 on the site where I looked it up.

Can you have a look at the deck for a slider switch which might enable/disable a pre-amp? It could actually be underneath the deck.

It would be a peculiar AVR where the aux inputs connect to a phono circuit!

fester

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 520
If working 50 hours a week for a grad school tuition waiver and $5000 a year is just giving someone something for free, then you're right. That's just scratching the surface. I've worked way too hard to be where I am for anyone to sit there and say it was handed to me. No one gave me a dime, I earned every bit of my education myself, and then some.

As to racism, what makes you think I haven't had to overcome this as well? I understand this all too well, because I also have a very clear "frame of reference" as you like to say.

Let's stop hijacking this thread, it's gone on long enough.

You still are dodging the question though. Is it possible there is an exception, as you pointed out, yet don't admit to?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1078
"As to my degree, I got it for free."

"If working 50 hours a week for a grad school tuition waiver and $5000 a year is just giving someone something for free, then you're right."

Make up your mind.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 524
The first line was sarcasm.

One more time - Is it possible there is an exception, as you pointed out, yet don't admit to?

Make up your mind.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 546
5 days later -

Is it possible there is an exception, as you pointed out, yet don't admit to?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1102
Yep.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 548
That wasn't too hard was it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1108