Archive through July 19, 2005

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1056
Poverty is big business guys. I know I work in it everyday. No one, especially the organizations that appear to be most concerned, has any interest in seeing it end. The poverty industry spends money so ineffiecntly that I believe we could go miles towards alleviating the suffering of the worlds poor in 1 day if we focused the money we spend on the poor "on the poor". Instead we bulid layer upon layer of infrastructure mostly redundant and pat each other on the back for our useless involvement as part of the "solution". Just one man's opinion. I am a Case Manager with the State of Oregon's Department of Human Services and I work with all of the community partners who are responsible for alleviating the suffering of the poor. Excuse me for putting this here then running but I'm still on vacation. I also apologize for posting this here but sometimes it sounds like folks are a bit naive about the "poverty business". "Live 8" will help no one except those who participated. But we shouldn't judge as that is the way of the poverty industry.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2098
I understand your cynicism Art, especially since you are involved. It must be terribly frustrating. But I don't believe such is the case all the time everywhere. The media here has been following the Australian charity dollars given to those organisations helping the displaced, diseased and helpless tsunami victims. I am very pleased that they are going where they should - even though some of it is lining the pockets of the corrupt. Which is usually the case in most third world countries. As long as we keep trying.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4370

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 01:05 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cash is always the intent.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 493
Art, I don't doubt for a second what you're saying is true. But I think the main thing the Live 8 concerts did was to shine a light for many people world-wide on both, the devistating problems Africa is facing as well as the need for governments do something about this. For anything to change, there has to be a ground-swell of public opinion to pressure our governments world-wide. This illumination will not happen overnight but I do feel the light is a bit brighter today than it was yesterday. It was estimated that over 2 billion people attended or watched via tv or online. I'm sure a great many of them, (us), now know more about the horrific situation than before. That in itself will be a giant step in the right direction.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 416
True. IMO what Africa needs most is political development and the end of them upscaled tribal conflicts. We've already seen that economic development led by foreign companies doesn't do the trick. Neither does massive but occasional food supplies, it has been done for 40 years without overcoming the "poverty trap". We, the people in the developed contries must force arms export, gold mining and foreign politics intrigues to be restricted by a social concern for the thirld world. Events such as Live8 could be important steps in that direction. Question is, are they currently so?

Cheers
AL

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1076
Durn! Been gone so long I've had to spend the whole evening reading the thread. Notes:

Sorry 'bout yer teeth, MR - last year was "my year in the barrel" with teeth, crowns, root canals, etc. This year, I bought a new Braun electric toothbrush - and absolutely love it! Hope it actually helps! (grin)

OK - I just received my first of a new batch of CDs from Amazon - reviewed Sharon Isbin, classical guitar, on "discoveries."

No comments on the African-concert-politics thang, Mer won't let me. . .

Soooo - Bax is back! Good! I do not have the 6th, but do have the 3rd - and the Naxos disc is just fine! I'm ordering 6 and 7 from Amazon, and when they get here (end of July?) I'll chime in with my comments.

I'm a long-time champion of Bax, thanks to an old CIA friend who is a true Anglophile and "sat me down and made me listen" to Bax in about 1987.

MR - sorry to hear about your tree - a close one, eh? Mer and I are readying ourselves for "Dennis," who may or may not become a hurricane this weekend, and may or may not decide to pay us a call. We're watching closely. . .

Been spending a LOT of time with sick relatives, which, as you know, can be very time-intensive. Sigh.

Rick - glad you're making the move! Mer and I know that your lives will be improved once you get settled here in Flawed-Duh, home of the hanging chad and other delights. (grin)

More anon. . . with respect.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1057
We'll save the poverty discussion for another thread. They have a PC in the lobby that I can use for about 5 minutes. Bax is indeed wonderful. Can any of you think of any other little known British composers? Any of ya'll listen to Malcolm Arnold or Arthur Bliss? Good stuff.

MR - Picked up a couple of good vocal jazz cd's in Seattle. Actually 5 new discs. 3 Shirley Horn discs and 2 Holly Cole.

Last night in Seattle. Back home tommorrow.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1078
Art - if you're home yet? - did Naxos issue a "box set" of the Bax symphonies, or did you buy separately?

This ayem I re-discovered my Bax 6 - but it's with London Phil and Thomson - I'm about to listen soon. How do you compare the Chandos recordings with the Naxos ones?

Two Cents - John A. - anybody listening to Mahler on the radio will hear some form of compression. The sound levels are so stretched that radio stations cannot reproduce the whole range without distortion. Only way to "really" hear Mahler is live, IMHO. And I would LOVE to go to San Francisco to hear Mahler there! (drool)

I am at a loss - I just got an e-mail from a friend who, as it turns out, recently bought the Isbin guitar concerto album I mention in "Discoveries." He, too, noticed the one-note drop-out near the end. Same time on the disc. I wonder if WarnerClassics has a general fault on this issue? I'll try to get an answer from them - but don't hold yer breath. . .

As you will soon discern, Mer and I are re-doing our CD library, and trying to add more "small" music - stuff we listen to often. Thus symphonies form a smaller portion of the collection than they once did - and our public library grows richer with our donations of "large" music CDs.

But don't worry, 2C, I'm not giving up my MTT Mahler!! (grin)

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3348
"The sound levels are so stretched that radio stations cannot reproduce the whole range without distortion."

I disagree, Larry!

Anyway, welcome back!

I have the Chandos Vaughan Williams symphonies by Bryden Thomson and the LPO, amongst others. Unfortunately Chandos recorded distortion onto the CDs in some places. The best of the modern RVW symphony cycles (that is excluding Boult) is by Bernard Haitinck and the LPO imho. Recently re-issued by EMI. Mid-price, too.

The Naxos DVD-A of the Sea Symphony is really something.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1079
John A. - well, sir, back when I used-tah work at radio stations there was that danged thing called a "VU meter" on the console - and we knew that when the sound levels put that thing in the Red Plus area, we were starting to distort.

Now, with digital radio and all, perhaps the old VU meter isn't as valid as it once was. I'd sure like some expert input here, guyz! I'll be glad to eat crow if things are now to the point where compression is never used.

Finished auditioning the Chandos Bax Six - and know why I sorta put it in the "seldom heard" section of my library. Oh, I did like it, but I got the overall feeling - having lived in the American West - that I was in the midst of a bunch of wild mustangs, and the cowboys were having a dickens of a time getting them into the corral! Almost an "out of control" feel for me, and thus a bit unsettling. IMHO.

More anon. . . I'm back to listening to Renee Fleming at the moment . . . . ahhhhh! Beddah.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2103
Larry,

Good to see Mer and you are back home and enjoying your music. Still got what teeth I have. It's hard to come to terms about losing all the upper ones and will have to go forth with the process very shortly. I will need to put aside a month for anti-social, non-contact activity until getting the plate fitted. I don't look forward to it, but at least I'll have some good music to cheer me up.

(See Alexander/Brown/Mallone in Rate your Hi-res ... Now there's one recording I've got that you'd love too - I'm sure!)

Art,

Let me know how you like Holly Cole and Shirley Horn - I listened to some samples of the latter, but I didn't like the titles. Can't recall the album.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2104
John A

Better start your fitness programme for the 2012 Olympics. Congrats to you poms!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3350
My Rantz,

Thank you! The hardest act to follow was Sydney, I think. Most Brit sports reporters came back from there and said the Olympics should ALWAYS be in Australia.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1059
Just got home and gettin' unpacked. Ah ain't Seattle fabulous. Silver Platter's...what a great music store.

Haven't had a chance to listen to all the new music yet. The Holly Cole Trio debut album is quite different. It's not jazz in the traditional sense..not like Shirley horn who is the embodiment of jazz..Holly's more like.."The Bad Plus". I find it very entertaining.

Haven't listened to the Naxos/Chandos Bax discs closely on each others heels yet. I will do that and compare. Very tired.

Larry..I have been buying Renee's discs like crazy lately. She is truly heavenly.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3356
Friends,

I just made some phone calls and all my family is safe. Exactly what is going on, I have no idea. There is a continual stream of ambulances to and from the hospital near by, plus helicopters. I will not be posting for a while, and may not come back to this topic at all. I just thought I should let you know.

Peace.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2109
Have sent a private email John. Horrible news! Keep safe.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 357
John, I am very relieved to hear you and yours are OK. Peace to you, too.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 495
John, I'm relieved to hear you and your family are safe. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone there.

So hard to understand why.

Sem

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 318
John,

Our thoughts are with you and yours.

Take care,
Don

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1062
My heartfelt condolences to John and others of the UK who have experienced today's horrible events.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 1227
New York...........................London

You get a different perspective when it's in your own back yard, don't you John? I'm glad you and your family are fine.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2505
My heart goes out to you and you'rs john! But I'm in the dark here and don't know
what happened! I can only speculate, anyone care to shed some light, as I've been
nowhere near any kind of news.

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 319
Kegger,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Headline:
More than 30 die in London blasts...

Four terror attacks on London's transport network leave more than 30 dead and hundreds injured.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3358
Thanks, all. We are not affected. Others are. All I suggest is we pause and think, a moment, about them. I was just writing a post here this morning when it all started. Maybe I should not have sent that one. I assumed it would soon be on the international news. We live near a major hospital, which is also on my route to work, and not far from the first bomb. The emergency traffic was exceptional, also emergency response teams all over, and it seemed pretty unusual. I did not know how widespread it would be. It is serious, but not as much as it seemed it could be, this morning. Let's get back to "business as usual". Making a fuss is rewarding those guys, just like trolls on the forum. I do not wish to draw attention to this, and thereby to "them" whoever they are. But let me say I really appreciate the posts and also the direct messages.

Your health, friends.

Now, where were we...?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1064
MR - It appears that much of our jazz tastes are different as I can't abide light jazz. I loved all of the Shirly Horn CD's that I just picked up and Holly Cole was also quite a trip (meant in the best possible way).

If you get a Cassandra Wilson disc I would suggest "Belly of the Sun" or "Blue Light 'til Dawn". "Belly" is her best.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2116
Art

I can appreciate all styles, popular, swing, fusion, jazz/blues - light or heavy - and preferably, but not always, with a horn section or solos. Though I like a great jazz singer - it's still the music, the tune, and the delivery that needs to get me in.

I will be investigating Ms Wilson, I believe she has a SACD released also. Thanks Art.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4408

1932: Depression low point of Dow Jones Industrial Average, 41.22.

1937: Britain sends 13,000 troops to Palestine, and martial law is declared, in an attempt to crush Arab fight for land.

1959: Vietnamese guerillas ambush two U.S. "advisers," making them the first U.S. casualties since 1946 in Vietnam.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4409

" London handled the N@zi blitz. 'Handled' is perhaps the wrong word. Londoners watched as their city was battered to rubble day after day, and squared their shoulders, and sent out the RAF, and prevailed. A fire chief named Deasy summed up the British response: "The idea of England folding up, that's a joke. That outfit will never fold up. They've got just as much guts as anybody in this man's world has and they'll carry right on. Anybody thinks they're gonna fold up, they're crazy."

" In Iraq, they call events like this 'Tuesday.'

Tens of thousands of people have been killed and wounded in Iraq by way of deadly bombings that have been taking place every single day. These Iraqi people are no different from the Londoners who perished today. Their skin is darker perhaps, and they pray to a different God, but they have families and children and dreams and they die just as horribly as their British counterparts. Yet they earn perhaps a few sentences on the back page of the paper, and virtually no comment from the members of the international community ..."

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/070705A.shtml

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4410

"My first thought when I heard - just on a personal basis, when I heard there had been this attack and I saw the futures this morning, which were really in the tank, I thought, 'Hmmm, time to buy.'"
- Fox News's Brit Hume, 7/7/05

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2121
Yes Jan, and when England has deadly bombings happening every day, those too will be relegated to the back pages. Let's hope no more countries have so many bombings that their news items are relegated to the back pages.

And we can put an end to the ones that do.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3367
Jan, those pull-quotes from the link are just nonsense. Historically and factually. The first paragraph is right on the mark: "A British associate penned a quick response to the bombing attacks...."

That's how it is here.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4414

So your problem is with the next two quotes?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3368
Just the first quote, and especially the first line of the second. Right now we I can do without smart-ars* journalists with coy little exaggerations, using carnage to try to raise a smile and demonstrate how clever they are. I can go along with the rest of the second quote, broadly, but the comparison the guy is making, on the whole, is absurd. I don't think this is the place or time to open up all that.

Here is a quote from an Iranian commentator on Middle eastern affairs, Amir Teheri, in yesterday's London Times. He seems to know his stuff, and, specifically, his Koran. Let me be clear he is pointing out just ONE interpretation of that - and one he believes to be mistaken.

"Moments after yesterday's attacks my telephone was buzzing with requests for interviews with one recurring question: but what do they want?".......

"But sorry, old chaps, you are dealing with an enemy that does not want anything specific, and cannot be talked back into reason through anger management or round-table discussions. Or, rather, this enemy does want something specific: to take full control of your lives, dictate every single move round the clock, and, if you dare resist, he will fell it is his divine duty to kill you."

That is our common enemy, Jan, and we are just as much on the side of the good people of Iraq. Al Quaeda wants to cloud the waters, and have Muslims become afraid of us just as much as we are of them. Then they can cruise in and impose the kind of theocracy we got rid of in the Middle Ages. That's what they think. I would quote "the British associate again" but Admin would righly pull the thread.

Now about surround sound....

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3369
"fell" should be "feel". I typed that; my fault.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3370
"righly" should be "rightly". Never type, or post, in anger!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4418

Sorry I made you angry. That was not my intent.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3372
You didn't, Jan! It was the author. A few blocks away from where I sit there is a hospital with people hauled out of a subway on Thursday and still judged critical, others who are out of mortal danger but minus things like eyes and limbs. In town there are guys underground retrieving body parts from a tube 100 ft underground that is damaged and may collapse on them. Yes, let us grieve equally for all human casualties. But no political point-scoring at the moment, please.

Tag-line of "The girl in the café"; - "Does it matter whose baby it is?"

What's Al Quaeda's tag-line exactly? "Die, infidel...?"

There is a profound moral asymmetry between the invasion of Iraq and the terrorist attacks in the US, Madrid, Bali, and now London. Also political. And The Blitz has zero to do with any of it. Some people just enjoy stirring things up.

Change of subject. Please.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3376
How about "Watch out for Hurricane Dennis"? Larry? Rick?

"The girl in the café" was in US on a channel called "HBO". "Conspiracy" is on an HBO DVD. HBO is new to me. Is it a cable/satellite channel only?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4427

It is a premium satellite/cable network with multiple channels. It began life showing recent movies. It has spawned several production companies which produce many well written and executed programs. Same story with Showtime. Both require additional fees over and above "basic subscription rates".

http://www.hbo.com/

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 359

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HBO#History

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4430

1509: Birth of Calvin. Hobbes came later.

http://www.simplych.com/comics.htm

1946: Birth of Stuart Christie, Scottish international revolutionary militant. Co-founder, with Albert Meltzer, of the prison support movement An@rchist Black Cross. In Aug. 1964, arrested with explosives under his kilt trying to cross into Spain to assassinate the dictator Franco.

Under his kilt?

1962: U.S. government rejects Soviet proposal of complete and general disarmament.

Once again, nothing funny can be said about this.

1976: KKK members near Georgetown, Illinois, gather for a good old-fashioned cross burning. The meeting got off on the wrong foot, starting an hour late. They went to plant their cross only to find that it was too heavy to move. It took the white robed merrymakers three hours to chop the cross down to a portable size. Then they planted it, only to find it would not light. Finally they gave up and went home.

What, you think I can add something to that?!

1984: Acting Pres. Reagan claims that his environmental record is "one of the best kept secrets" of his Presidency. When a reporter asks where former EPA head Anne Burford fits in that record, press secretary Larry Speakes steps forward and orders the lights turned off. Reagan, believed by many to be the most powerful man on the planet, stands behind his aide, saying, "My guardian says I can't talk." And so the secret was kept.

YEP!!!

1985: Mel Blanc, voice of hundreds of cartoon characters, dies at 81.

Nothing I can say would ever be as funny as, "Wascallwy Wabbit!"

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4431

If you didn't tkae the time to check out Calvin and Hobbes, shame on you!

http://www.simplych.com/sun.gif

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3377
Thanks. "Home Box Office". Simple. When I was in US, BBC things were often made jointly with NPB, I think. This is years ago.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2130
Larry,

I guess you and Mer are battening the hatches. Hoping Dennis spares you.

Stay safe.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1083
MR et al - yep, we missed the bullet for the 5th time in 12 months - and are wondering how much longer our run of "luck" can last? Hmmm. . .

We're about as ready as we can be - and are a bit unsettled by all the weather-mopes and their predictions of many more hurricanes to come this year. Sigh.

Haven't been posting much on this thread lately, as Jan, John A. and Art are talking far above my head - so I just sorta sit on the sidelines and wait until I can snag a thought I actually unnerstand! (grin)

Have a great week, all. . .

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2507
Larry good to hear your still with us and those darn hurricanes have left you alone.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2508
Guy's, I know that darn kegger again, well I have a new passion! "along with the others still"

VINTAGE SOLID STATE RECEIVERS! Pre 1981 wood cased silver faced jobs! I know I know WTF!
Most of these things are built like a tank, can be worked on and sound darn good!
Oh yah they look really sweet too with the analog meters and cool lights/switches.

I've been garage saling among other ways to pick up some stuff and make a little
extra cash. I've been picking up gear, working on it, reselling and or trading for stuff.
There's quite a market out there. Marantz/pioneer/sansui/yamaha/mcintosh/kenwood
among a few others command pretty good money and respect by many a collecter.

What really got me hooked was that I hit a few garage sales found a couple cool things
like speakers and whatnot then I came accross one garage sale where the guy had two
receivers, a kenwood and a marantz that I got for $10 total that just needed a really good
cleaning of all the controls and the units in general. Then the guy say's, hey you fix gear
maybe you'd be interested in this big ol thing I got in the back. It was a pioneer sx-1010 "would not power up"
that had some good weight to it so I gave the guy $3 for it. Got it home looked it up on "blown internal fuses"
the internet and I was hooked! It's the first receiver to break the 100watt per channel barrier.
Plus the thing is highly saught after for it's collectability/build quality/sound. Took me a little
to fix'er up.Had leaky power supply caps/bad input transisters/other caps that made the dc
offset go through the roof to where the protection curcuit came on and no volume in the left
channel. Swapped some power caps from a dead garbage picked newer technics unit, bought
some transistors and caps "about $12 total" and got'er up and running. So I spent a few days
fixing it and $15 invested into a unit that looks and sounds sweet that's worth about $275!

So I now have about 20 of these type units that I've sold a couple to cover what I paid for the
rest of what I have. "20 of them left including the big boys" Some need some work to get them
going and cleaning up plus refinishing the wood cabinets. Lately I've been working on a lot of
gear "learning and seeing a lot" plus picking up some new toys even a few cool speakers like
some kefs/dcm time frames/wharfedale/ohm/jbl/advent/ads, well you get the point.

Might try to make my next career move into the audio buisiness, I have a few leeds and contacts
plus a guy who wants to put up the cash to get an audio store going that sells new and used gear.
None of this would happen any time soon but the stuff is somewhat in the works. Well anyway's as
usual back to work on gear, just that now it's actualy making some money and not just mine. LOL!

Peace out, THYKEGMAN!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3381
That is really great to read, Kegger.

The very best of luck.

By the way timn8ter has been posting some great discussions with Jan and others about speakers, around July 5 on Do you listen.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1084
Kegman: Hey, good to hear from you again, sir! Sounds like you're doing what a lot of us "think about doing," and actually making it work for you! I wish you good luck, and great hunting!

Wish there were a good audio store down heah that sold both new and "pre-loved" gear. Only places where you can find things such as you've found are, indeed, garage sales and the so-called "thrift shops" that serve to get rid of the rich folks' cast-off stuff. Not too much audio gear there, however.

Every time Mer and I go back to Chicago we're always amazed at how much "hi-fi" stuff is for sale, both in the papers and at various shops, especially the suburban ones.

Am thinking that Rick B. probably made a wise decision to move to the Orlando area - far inland from the coastal scene, and its position "in harm's way" for all the hurricanes we're supposed to be getting this year. Sigh. Naples has dodged five in twelve months now - and we all wonder how much longer our string of luck can hold out. . .

More anon. . .

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4441

Vintage solid state receivers - WTF?

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2509
Yes I know Jan a sad sad affair!

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 285
Hello Old Dogs! That's about all I say anymore, eh?

JohnA, glad you and yours were not harmed in the attacks.

Asimo, good to see you posting again. I haven't made any changes to my audio setup since I returned the Onix. My gear right now is MA6200/Denon/Maggies. Sadly, work and life commitments have limited my listening time lately.

Art, a belated welcome to the Old Dogs forum! You've made me want to do a return visit to one of my favorite cities, Seattle!

Kegger.....WTF? lol Seriously, I'm glad to hear you may be conjuring up a new career in audio restoration. Why not? Do what you know, do what you love. We should all be so lucky....and brave.

Larry, you old dawg....you're probably still reading my epic email from this morning.....

Jan, hope you got the Raw Story link I sent. It's almost akin to "the South will rise again"....lol.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3385
Hello, SimplyMcIntosh!

I thought of you, and some of our previous discussions, when trying to get "Live 8" on the agenda! Never mind. Work and life committments are best.

"Vintage" solid state. Hmm. How old I feel. I remember when the transistor was still wet behind the ears.

I think Jan said somewhere that the original solid state amps from the likes of McIntosh and Quad sounded much like valve/tube amps.

There is another question, then -what happened? Music has not changed.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4454

Music never had buttons, knobs, lights and meters either.

I think if you can find the spot where I talked about the early solid state amplifiers from McIntosh and Quad, you'll find I didn't say they sounded like tube amps so much as these two company's products have always sounded like music. And still do to my ear; though it's been a while since I've listened through a new Quad amplifier. I'd be interested in hearing what the reissue of the Quad tube amp is all about.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3387
I agree with that. Those two companies were both "late adopters" of solid state, too.

There is a Quad II-forty Amplifier system brochure in pdf format at http://www.iaguk.com/quad/valvebroch.pdf

Also some reviews at http://www.iaguk.com/quad/reviews.htm

I am still really delighted with this PrimaLuna PL2. It seems to me to be a good match for the ESL63 speakers. With reference to "Do you listen" I think "lifelike" is the adjective. "Pulling you in" is correct - I keep wanting to move the chair forward, to get a better view. It is amazing how old, familar recordings really come to life.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2510
As to the "vintage solid state" sound of these units being like tube amps Jan has
it right they don't sound like tube amps per say but what I believe people mean is
that they don't sound tiny or thin and are much easier to listen to then "most" of
the newer cheaply made,whip it out to the public in mass quanity's as inexpensive
as we can solid state that is sold in most places like best buy and what not.

There are some really good sounding solid state units but the company has to take
pride and build it right with quality components beginning "as Jan has said many times"
at the power supply right on through to the outputs used. Most of the good sounding
older solid state units had descrete output devices which you set a bias voltage that
is simular to a tube amp and they have an adjustment for dc offset which is taking
both the positive and negative voltage of the power supply rails and then giving you the
ability to zero this out with the use of a potentiometer "or as close to zero - or + as you
can in millivolts, anything under about 50 millivolts - or + is considdered in spec" this
dc offset is shown as dc voltage being present at the speaker outputs. This can be an
issue in both distortion and blown voice coils of speakers. Some units as in like the Mac
units that use the autoformers this dc is blocked from getting to the speakers but it is
still important as far as distortion goes so the adjustment is made before the autoformer.
Just for some info one of the reasons the macs use the autoformers on there solid state
equipment is the outputs are designed to a 1 ohm load then the autoformers stepup the
load to match to the speakers you are using through the individual taps. Other units are
capacitor coupled and unless the caps go bad then the dc is blocked from getting to the
speakers also.

Now these good sounding solid state units be it a well made,weigh a ton behemoth of
yesturyear "generally made from 1969-1980 until the price wars of the 80's" or the newer
units of companys still making quality gear do not have that "organic feel to music" of a
good tube amp but can sound very very nice with a clean mellow tone that is very easy
to listen too for extended periods of time when mated with the right speakers.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2511
SM "Kegger.....WTF? lol Seriously, I'm glad to hear you may be conjuring up a new career in audio restoration. Why not? Do what you know, do what you love. We should all be so lucky....and brave."

Thanks for the push but not neccasarily a "brave move" but more of a kicked into
the street and see which direction you go move!

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2512
Guy's take a look at this, it's pretty cool. That is the reciever that got me started!

http://ckopfell.com/PioneerSX1010.htm

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2138
Kegger

Wow! Now that's a nice lookin' unit. You may have found a great niche market - right up your alley. Hope something comes of it for you.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2513
So that gives you some idea how I got hooked on this aye?

Anybody need a nice VINTAGE SOLID STATE RECIEVER? LOL!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4456

Kegger - That's some link you've provided. I don't believe I've ever seen that much hyperbole in any piece of print that wasn't trying to sell something. I sold most of those "Monster Receivers" and I would hesitate to make such glowing comments about several members of that elite crew. I found it interesting there were no Yamahas listed in that site as they were the real style setter for that period.

Regardless of my opinion of the Pioneer SX-1250, I wish you well in your new adventures.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2514
Actually Jan if you go to the main page it does have some other recievers including a yammy!
Also keep in mind that is just one mans oppinion and his toys!

http://ckopfell.com/MonsterReceiver.htm

I don't know if this will turn out to be anything more than gaining some more gear
and selling a few things but at the moment it's started to work out a little.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3390
All those filters and tone controls! Seems hifi people have always wanted to fiddle with controls.

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 286
JohnA, I've followed the Live8 discussion here - didn't have time to actually watch any of the shows - my viewpoint falls on the cynical side in regards to the motivation of many of the participants and whether they can truly have any impact. There does seem to have been some measurable success - who would have expected to see GW Bush and Bono in a photo op?

At any rate, my tendency now is to avoid any discussion that borders on political, otherwise, I might have had even more to say about the London attacks. But, I am genuine when I say I'm glad you were not harmed and can tell you I thought of you and your family while watching the news coverage.

Kegger, I'm sorry to hear this was not a voluntary decision. But, it looks like you are attempting to take lemons and make lemonade as the adage goes. Good for you! Often, seemingly negative events will have a silver lining and may lead to better things if you look for the opportunities. I wish you all the best in finding those opportunities!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3391
SM,

Many thanks. Understood. At work right now; just thought I'd say that.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 498
Kegger,
That Pioneer SX-1010 receiver sure looks familiar. Back around '77 or '78 I bought a similar looking model but lower end, somewhere around 30-50w/ch. I still have it boxed up in my basement and if I remember correctly should be in quite good shape. If I could find a way to get it to you inexpensiveley, its yours.

Now if you eventually get into restoring old 8Track player/recorders and car decks let me know. I may have some of those boxed up down there as well.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1228
Kegger,

I have some stuff in the basement, cassette deck, VCR's, NAD CD player, and Toshiba DVD player. If you can fix this stuff and sell it, you are welcome to it. I'll find a way to get them to you. I wish you the best and hope this venture works out for you.

PS-I'll report back on the Sophia "Baby" when I can.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2515
You guy's are great, yah some of the old gear, mostly the top of the line models
are the ones that hold some value. A few of the tear 2/3 models still have some
value also but many of the lesser units can be used for parts to fix others so yah
anything that seems it may be of use and you want to through my way is more
than welcome.

Sem I'll send you a private mesage.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2517
Oh yah by the way Rick thank you too yah that stuff could be used and appreciated.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2141
There are some very decent 'old dogs' in our pack. Makes one want to puff out his hairy chest with pride.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4467

And lick one's private parts.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2518
Well that's nothing new, don't we all wish we could do that all the time?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1137
Ya'll be funny!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1229
Heck, If I could do THAT, I would never leave the cave!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4469

Art - As you hang around the Old Dogs barn, you'll find out we are not completely serious 100% of the time.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3395
That's because every Dog has sniffed the others' rear ends.

So to speak.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2146
Not EVERY dog John!

But I have left my mark on a few posts around here. [grin]

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3397
You have indeed, My Rantz. [grin or at least baring of teeth].

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1157
Hurt my back today. I broke it in an accident more than 20 yrs ago and I tweak it every now and again. I can barely walk but I am a social worker so I can still work...lol (oops, sorry perhaps that is inapproprate affect). We need more music to discuss I have been receiving the bounty of my online purchases. All kinds of goodies from the Kronos Quartet's "Nuevo" to Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool". Heck I even bought Wilco's "A Ghost is Born". I haven't heard any of them accept a couple of songs from the Barber album which was very good indeed. Oh and still to come is the Chesky "Area 31" SACD. I may be sufferin' but oh how life is good while I have music in my world. Any attempt at licking would lead to immediate hospitalization at this point..lol!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2147
Art,

Sorry about your back. That's no good if you can't reach around under your tail LOL! I've finally bitten the bullet (well a soft imitation) after much procrastination, the teeth come out on Tuesday. Anyway, I hope we both recover quickly.

These multichannel hybrid SACD's should arrive Monday: Spyro Gyra - 'In Modern Times', John Pizzarelli with The George Shearing Quintet - 'The Rare Delight Of You', Diana Krall - 'The Look Of Love'.

After hearing how good "When I look In Your Eyes" sounded compared to the redbook CD, I just had to order the sacd version of "The Look Of Love" also.

Now I'll have some more new music to cheer me up - hopefully. Take care of your back - I think I'd rather my teeth problems than a bad back!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1158
Thanks MR, at least we have music to soothe our ills. Now if I could only make work go away. Godspeed to your recovery. I think it's time to lie down.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3399
Art,

Sorry to hear about the back.

I think Arnold Bax. Symphony No. 6 was good and interesting, but that thread seems to have run its course. I wonder if anyone has any other suggestions. I have (of course). Jan? JOHN S? Remember, budget price....

All,

Back on this thread in Archive through May 23, 2004 and Archive through June 19, 2004 we were still considering whether surround sound or stereo was preferable, for music, and the question came up of whether there is any way of telling; whether, as it were, there is a reference by which to judge, or everything is a matter of opinion. If I understood correctly, My Rantz and Kegger favoured the latter, and I for one favoured the former.

This topic has just come up again in the context of speakers, on Jan's thread Do you listen.

I have just posted there an edited version of something I originally wrote for this thread but decided not to post. It was in reply to Kegger, and defends the view that there is a "right" and "wrong" approach to recording and playback (noting the quotation marks).

I have also noted that Tony Faulkner has some 5.1 recordings to his credit.

I wonder if anyone is interested in shelling out on a Naxos DVD-A or SACD AND/OR the CD, for comparison of two-channel and surround?

The total outlay for both two channel and one surround format would be about £15. Surely we could find out something interesting about formats, as well as discuss the music. An excellent (imho) Faulkner recording, for example, is Elgar Symphony No. 3. Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony is not by Faulkner, and has some balance problems, in my opinion, but this is part of the question, and the music is intrinsically more interesting and also demanding of the audio system, possibly, having voices as well as a big orchestra.

Also there is a different, live performance of The Sea Symphony coming up on July 23, which will be made available the following week as "Audio on demand". Probably the "Audio on demand" will be sonically not so good, but it does mean listening will not be restricted to people who can receive BBC radio.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whatson/2307.shtml#prom11

Any interest in any of this?

By the way, the wonderful "proms" kick off on Friday with Tippett's "A Child of Our Time" which will also be available as "Audio on Demand". I know of no surround recording of that, but there is a Naxos CD. And there is a lot one could discuss around that.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3400
Art, I see you just posted on Bax - proving me wrong. Many thanks!

My Rantz, - any recommended jazz/rock at budget price...? I know all this symphonic stuff is not everyone's cup of tea.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2149
John,

Most of my recent music as listed on 'Rate your hi-res . . ." costs on average about $30.00 AUD landed from acousticsounds.com (mostly between $16 and $19US - and a few up to $24.99). You can see my recommendations there. But you know me, surround is king. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy 2 channel - even with redbook cd's. I have tried several times comparing hi-res surround and 2 channel (many of which - in DVD-A - are full 192/24) and I simply prefer multi-channel. The same applies to pure DSD direct sacd recordings or remixed - the surround versions I find are always more appealing to my senses. It's the space and the dynamics or something. I can't help it and I think it would be harder to give up than smoking!

Try the DVD-A of Grover Washington Jnr's - Winelight.

5.1 (96/24) 2 channel (192/24) Wonderful Jazz/Rock - excellent recording, excellent mixing, excellent talent.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3401
Thanks, MyRantz. I shall look out for Winelight. I could do with something in 5.1 (96/24) and 2 channel (192/24).

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3405
Last night I watched the TV broadcast of Prom 1, including Tippett's "Child of our time". Everyone else was out, queuing for the latest Harry Potter book.

Deeply moving. Having the text on-screen was helpful. I noticed the soloists each had his/her own microphone, behind the music stand.

What an astonishing composition and performance. The conducter, Roger Norrington, made a short speech between the second and third pieces in the first half, pointing out the special relevance of the music, yesterday.

Tippett - A Child of Our Time (1939--41).

Indra Thomas (soprano)
Christine Rice (mezzo soprano)
Ian Bostridge (tenor)
Sir Willard White (bass)
BBC Symphony Chorus
BBC Symphony Orchestra

I remember Larry said he had never hear of Willard White. Man, what a voice, what a delivery. All of them, in fact. The whole thing, in fact. Bostridge sang the part of the boy, driven to murder by persecution; Indra Thomas, his mother. I cannot imagine anyone actually human listening, without being moved, to part 1, their dialogue, and the lead into the first spiritual. This is universal music, surely?

Why is this piece not better known? The BBC caught a host of celebs on camera, in the audience. Is this what it takes for people to want to listen?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3410
A Child of Our Time - libretto.

Real Audio stream of whole concert, from BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/listen/rams/prom1.ram

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2520
Art I hope your back is doing better! Rantz how's the teeth?
John I hope the family and everyone around you are good with all the recent
events surrounding your area of the world.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3418
We are all fine, Kegger. Many thanks.

I have just booked some more Royal Albert Hall Prom tickets. London is a great place to be! Hey, Kegger, try that ram stream. The sound is cr--p, but but will give you some idea. That concert was dedicated to the bombing victims and their families.

The proms have become more accessible. A good thing. The radio broadcast of H.M.S. Pinafore last night was hilarious. As recommended Bart Simpson, apparently. Mrs A got us all to sit and listen.

Here is the "Listen Online" page for the whole series, in case anyone is interested. Plug the computer into a spare amp input.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/listen/index.shtml

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1202
Thanks for asking KEGGER but no it is still in an awful way. Silver lining is that it gives me an excuse to lie about and listen to music most of the day.

MR, how dem teeth?

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2155
Kegger, Art

It is 25 hours and counting until extraction is deployed. Tension is building as the countdown continues. I know I have to be brave and take it on the chin. Stiff upper lip and all that.

Art, hope that back of yours improves. Have you tried the rack?

I know - it's not funny!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1205
Haven't tried that rack yet but if it doesn't improve I'm gonna have to try a heavy dose of narcotics. I swear I can barely move. It's rather comical to hear all of the thrashing about that takes place every time I get up from a chair. I'm looking forward to work tomorrow.....not! But hey I know I'm looking forward to tomorrow more than you are. I hope it all goes swimmingly for you. Meanwhile I think I'll send my wife out to canvas the neighborhood for a rack or some heroin!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2156
Thanks Art - take care.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3427
Hope you are OK, guys. It is good to read your exchanges, and what a contrast with some other parts of this forum.

Jan's thread Do you listen started with a few insults from people who no longer post there. It is now lively and interesting, and relevant to the original topic of this thread.

My Rantz, hope that extraction wasn't too bad. I would definitely not fancy that myself. Both my parents had full sets of dentures. It was almost routine at one time, and people had it done quite young.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2524
Here's what my basement has become, for anyone interested!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3432
Wow!

All success to Kegger, and Kegger Audio!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1215
Actually I find the "Do you listen" thread to have gone from democratic to dominated by a couple of folks who if you don't respond like they want you to you have not posted a "legitimate" response. That's how it feels to me. No fun at all. Minutia without a cause. An excercise in futility, etc.

Went to a chiro"quack"ter yesterday for my back. There went money and leave time that I can never get back. Hoping to walk straight again someday. Yo MR how ya doin'?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1085
MR - Mer and I are sending you "healing vibrations" - with the hope that they will do some good? After all my tooth-woes, I can understand what you are going through. Our best wishes plus to you, sir!

Art K - I also understand your back-problems, having "been there and done that" years ago. Finally solved with some papain injections by the spine - and a complete overhaul of my sleeping arrangements. Doctor finally took away my "extra firm" mattress and got one quite a bit softer. Then he had me do stretching exercises on the rug. Six months later, I was a new man, back-wise, that is! (grin) Many doctors have finally concluded that the tried-and-true maxim: "you must sleep on a board-like mattress" just doesn't hold up for most people. If that helps. . . .

KEGGER: Mer took a look at your pictures and broke up, saying: "tell Kegger to replace the knobs and tubes with paint and clay and sculpting tools - and IT LOOKS JUST LIKE MY STUDIO!"
(ahem - it does, too!!) Anyway, Mer and I wish you the best with your new venture - sure more daunting than anything I'd ever even try, sir!

Not much else new here - just waiting for the next Big Wind to come our way. Sigh. . .

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3433
I can see your point about "Do you listen", Art.

Jan is an informed and able Socrates-and-tour-guide, though. I have learned a huge amount from him, and thank him for keeping that one spinning. The dialogue helps to keep these threads interesting and informative, for me, though of course we get into esoteric areas from time to time.

Perhaps I'll port over to here a couple of my "real concert" observations and add a few more. It may be more relevant. T8's comments there about the 13.1 system are right on topic for this thread, too.

Larry - my last real live Prom Concert was Sunday; next is Saturday. Totally different genres. Wonderful place; I thought of you in RAH, I am sure you'd like it. See my post above, July 17, for link, if you are interested.

MR- HOW ARE YOU....?! RUAOK...? Seriously!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2160
Kegger

That sure is one heck of an outfit you are running' there. I wish you all the very best with your audio venture.

Guys (and Mer)

First to Art - man I hope that back of yours comes good asap! Believe me, I really understand pain.

I would not wish yesterday on my worst enemy. The first tooth (rear molar) took 45 mins to remove and the other four - another 45 min. Then the stitches. Sailors teeth it seems - anchor-like roots with hooks veering in opposite directions. It's almost 2 am and it's time for some more pain-killers. My head is pounding, my jaw feels like George Foreman's punching bag, but this bowl of custard I'm tryin to slurp down is truly wonderful.

I appreciate all your kind thoughts.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us