Use new Naim NAIT 5i with Arcam AVR100?

JWS
Unregistered guest
Hi. Looking for an audio upgrade. Thinking of using the new NAIM Nait 5i as two channel, and just using the unity bypass so that it "sends through" the front L/R from the Arcam AVR100 for home theater.

Or just make life easier and try to sell the 100 and buy an AVR300? If went with Naim would likely also pair with the CD5i. Any thoughts appreciated!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 67
The CD5i/Nait5i is a lovely combination. I haven't experimented with different speaker cable makes so you should factor in the Naim cable as part of the cost. It's just designed to work best that way.

Although the Nait seems to have a lot less power than the AVR100 on paper, it has great dynamics and slam until it reaches its limits. The combination would be interesting to say the least. The components you're thinking of using are well matched in my view, unless the room is huge or the speakers are difficult to drive. Have fun.

regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 68
By the way, musically the CD5i/Nait5i would be way better than the AVR300 fronted by a DVD player. The AVR300 is a great machine but there's only so much it can do.

regards,
Frank.

JWS
Unregistered guest
Thanks Frank,

That's the way I'm going to go (including the Naim cable). The Naim 5i's were just too great together, and the AVR100 is just fine for HT, so it's a Naim/Arcam combo. By the way, pairing with the new DynAudio 72SE (sort of a new, but lower priced 1.8). Actually chose it over the Naim Ariva if you can believe that because of placement, flexibility and matching issues. Plus the sound had about even tradeoffs (fullness vs. control).

Thanks again...

Bronze Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 91
JWS,

I know the Dynaudios well. Thankfully, they're an easier load than Dyns of the past. Very capable speakers. I find they like to vbe placed relatively closer to each other (no more than 6 feet) and square to the listening position, not toed in. Start with that and toe in by a degree at a time until the image snaps into focus. Dynaudio make the 42Centre which is an ordinary size and the much larger 122 centre. I much prefer the 122 but it's a lot more money. If your main priority is music, then the 42C may be enough for you. At the rear, they have several small speaker options such as 42's or 52's. If you don't have much space at the back and wouold prefer to wallmount them, then Dynaudio make a dedicated speaker to mount on the wall called the 42W. This effectively has a stand built into the back of the speaker, so all you need is a hook in the wall to hang it.

Finally, although I know the 72's have a fine bass response, you will want to add a sub at some stage. I recommend the REL Stampede or Strata5 depending on available funds. They're a good match since they have a tight fast bass response.

Cabling-wise, the best match would be Chord Odyssey for the centre and (since the back speakers will be far away) either Chord Rumour or Chord Carnival if money's tight. The Chord cables match well with Naim cables in this scenario since the Arcam has a warmer presentation and the Chords are a little more neutral. I would not suggest using QED Silver anniversary for example, since it's a touch bright and does not really match well.

Just my thoughts...

Regards,
Frank.

JWS
Unregistered guest
Frank,

Very informative once again. I chose the 72se because I thought the bass and general sound was more full than the Naim Ariva, and I didn't want the speaker to have to be stuck to the back wall (want to pull them out front of the screen in an integrated system). Regarding the sub, I was planning on using a sub for the surround sound driven by the Arcam AVR100, (using the unity gain on the Naim 51). So I don't think I can also use the sub for analog two channel out of the Naim. Am I wrong? I haven't received the equipment yet, but maybe I can send an output from both the Nait 51 and AVR100 to the sub.

JWS

Anonymous

I'm also looking for speakers to go with the Nait5i/CD5i combination.

Has anyone tried Ruark Sabre III or B&W805?
Cheers

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 110
Hi

I know the 805 Signature. It's a pretty good speaker although it didn't do it for me. I wouldn't normally use a Nait5i with that speaker sine it's in a different class. I'd take some of that money and put it into better electronics, such as a CD5x, 112x pre and 150x power amp. Same power overall, but way more resolution, better timing and pace. Link that lot to a pair of Totem Rainmakers or Arros and you get one gorgeous system that sings, whereas the N805s would simply show up the 5i electronics' faults.

regards,
Frank.

Greenhorn
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have a complet of "baby" naim - 5i/CD5i and need a pair of speakers to connect to it in a 25sq m room.

I found a bunch of speakers in the price range from 1000 - 2000 €, but it seems quite complicated to try them all. I don't want to spend a fortune, however, is there an ultimate speaker for nait, I will take a deep breathe... ;+)

Can you give me a hint which speakers to start with?

My list (on paper) by now:
- monitor audio
- ruark
- spendor
- dyn audio

Tnx.

Tadej

Username: Moroblue06

Post Number: 2
Hi JWS,

im also doing what you plan to do but in my case i will be using a Roksan Caspian Power Amp (which i bought USED over at Agon at a pretty good deal) and my Arcam AVR100 as a preamp. my roksan power amp should come in during the week and ill let you know the results.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 145
JWS

Sorry about not answering your message - I must have missed it last time round. It depends on the sub you go for. For example, a REL sub can take both high and low level inputs at the same time. It recognises where it's getting a signal from and switches accordingly. So you can attach the high level input to the speaker terminal outputs on the Nait5i and the low level input to the surround sound amp without blowing up anything. :-) You can also setup the sub for the different program that you would typically play via high and low level (actually you can do a lot more than that with the new Stampede and Strata5 subs). With other subs you have to be more careful and check the manual to see if if they have the automatic switching feature.

Tadej, your Naim dealer should be able to help you. In particular, there are the new Naim Arrivas which are in this price range and the brand new n-sats which should come out before the end of year. I think the n-sats will be very very musical - possibly more than the Arrivas! Other options that suit the Naim combination are:

Dynaudio's Audience offerings, such as 52's, 62's and 72's.

Totem Arros - these small floorstanders just sing with the Naim duo!

Totem Rainmakers - again a very synergistic combination.

Regards,
Frank.

JWS
Unregistered guest
Moro, thanks - look forward to hearing how it's working.

Frank - thanks as always. You know your stuff...

FYI to all. The Audience 72SE is really working well. They just came out (the normal 72 has been out for quite a while). The SE, you can read the upgrades on the site, works well enough to not need a woofer for music (especially after needing to turn on all the associated digitizing to get the woofer moving).

Username: Moroblue06

Post Number: 3
Hi JWS,

the combination is awesome! the roksan caspian power amp made my music listening exciting. there's a marked improvement in detail and punch.btw, im not talking about the integrated version of the caspian but about the caspian power amp so i really need the AVR100 as a sort of a preamp. the caspian power amp has no volume controls unlike the integrated version.

you really don't need to buy an arcam avr300 (except if you're planning to watch movies in dolby 6.1). just buy a very good power amp and it will do the trick.

btw JWS, are you talking about the Naim Nait5i integrated amp? If you are, then most probaby it is better to skip the AVR100 connections and plug your CD player directly to the amp. An integrated amp already has volume controls and there is no need for a preamp. i would also imagine the cd player-naim nait 5i combo will sound better than a cd player-arcam avr100-naim nait 5i combo. you would be able to avoid matching gain problems as well as extra noise from the arcam avr100.

JWS
Unregistered guest
Moro,

Quite right. The CD5i goes straight to the Nait 5i. The AVR 100 is purely for Home Theater stuff. So, for all purely 2 channel music sources, the AVR 100 doesn't come into play at all. For home theater, the AVR100 drives the surrounds and subs, and drives the front speakers through the Nait 5i. Nait 5i has a "unity gain" function that specifically supports this configuration (allows the home theater amp to "take over" the volume control for main front right and left).

Username: Drt

Sweden

Post Number: 1
hi dudes,,
im hust wondering if the naim nait5i is
cabable to drive dynaudio audience 72
i have plans to buy nait5i and cd5i to my dyns
do anybody have experience of naim and dynaudio
best regards
drt
sweden

Username: Arend

Post Number: 1
Hi, I do have a Naim CD5i and Naim Nait 5i for 6 months now. First used it with a pair of B&W CM4 speakers, perfect combination. Because we have restyled our living room I needed to look for a modern styled speaker to use with the Naim combi, the Piega P4 XL MKII. On first sight maybe not a logical match, try them and be surprised. This is even better as the CM4, maybe less bas performance, but enough for me. This combination is really synergetic, I mean the rocking qualities of the Naim combi are maintained while the Piega's expands the soundstage hugely and keeps everything relaxed with a lot of resolution. Try it...

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 318
kimmo

I know these components well. The Nait5i will drive 72s reasonably well, but don't expect masses of volume since this is the baby amp from Naim. That said, a nait5i (50w/ch) CAN do it whereas a Nait5 (30w/ch) would not!

AJ, I know the CM range and never really got on with it since I found the CMs to be very lazy and needing a lot of push to get them going. Therefore, their low volume performance was distinctly lacklustre, and they only really came to life (a little) when they were played quite loud.

Naim have a new standmount speaker called the n-Sat. I have played with this at length. I am still trying to decide whether I prefer the n-Sat or the Ariva. The Ariva has a bigger presentation. The n-Sat is just amazingly good fun to listen to - it really rocks! The Ariva is a free-space speaker. The n-Sat absolutely needs the rear wall for bass reinforcement. Of course, Naim also have a new sub which is eerie in its ability not to be heard - just felt! Very very fast and in combination with the n-Sats it's extremely effective.

Regards,
Frank.

Unregistered guest
Frank, other,

sorry for late reply. Thanks for advices.

I could not check the Totems with my Nait 5i duo, the nearest dealer was three hours of drive away. I do stil regret after all enthusiastic words I heard about them.

I did not checked the 72se, because they cost a fortune (at least here, in Slovenia).

I did listen to PMC FB1 and Spendor S8. I got them in my studio for some weeks to test them side by side. I've got good price for both of those demo models (€ 1660 a pair). I prefered the sound of Spendor.

My shopping can sound unprofessional, but without much experience I feel I just must start somewhere.

So, I could not make a comparision to other speakers, but I can tell that I enjoy it a lot! ;+)

Tadej

PRD
Unregistered guest
I've listened to the Nait5i with the DynAudio 52SE. They sounded great at the showroom. Now I'm considering a fuller sound of a floorstanding speaker such as the 72SE. The responses I've read here say matching the Nait to the 72SE is good. I've yet to hear this set up. What are the reasons to preview hearing the 72SE with more power than the Nait5i provides? Any advice with connecting a second pair to an integrated amp? I'd like to play these simultaneously in an adjoining room. I've read impedance can be resolved with a speaker switch to aid matching speaker impedance. Does the switch diminish the returns of using quality equipment?
Please advise.
-PRD

Username: Lagomatic

Post Number: 4
Anyone tried the Nait5i with Quad 12L's? I listnened to these over the weekend and thought they sounded great.

And good value for money compared to the DynAudio 52SE.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 775
John if they sounded great to you that is all that matters. Who cares what we think. I have heard the Quad speakers but with with a Cairn integrated, sounded great. I also feel that the Dyanaudio speakers sound very good but in the end it will be you who has to listen to it. By all means buy what sounds good to you and the heck with us.

Post Number: 5
Art, Thanks for your advice, I'm just making sure I make a good decision. I suppose if the Quads weren't a good speaker I'd get plenty of posts saying "don't". Equivalent Dynaaudio are around $2000 to $2,500 Australian Dollars as opposed to the Quads at $1,450.

At $2,500 for the Dynaaudio's, that opens up a whole can of worms for other speakers at a similar price, so as I felt the Quads sounded better, I think I'll go and place an order on the Nait5i and a set of Quad 12L's. Thanks for you help.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 784
Congrats and enjoy the music!

gurugu
Unregistered guest
Hi all,

I own a NAD 320bee to drive dynaudio audience 52 speakers. I am very happy with the sound it gives, but I am thinking on an upgrade. I listen everything: jazz, rock, classical, electronic...in a small room (12 sq meters). My CD player is a Cambridge 640C and I do not listen music at very high volume.
I am thinking on the Naim Nait 5i, but I wonder if it would be enough to drive my speakers. I guess so, since it is rated 50 w, same as the NAD I am currently using, and I do not have any problem.
I wonder also if the Naim Nait 5i will bring any added value compared with what I already have. Is it more detailed and musical than the NAD?
Does anybody have experience with Nait and Dyns? Does anybody suggest any other amp to drive my speakers?
Thanks in advance

Bronze Member

Brisbane, Queensalnd Australia

Post Number: 16
I can only say great things of the Naim Nait 5i. Wonderful amp and IMHO streets ahead of the competion at the price or better.

I doubt you will find a better intergrated amp, without having to go to a pre/power combo, very musiical sound that will be a definite improvement on your current NAD amp and hard to beat. I think for 50wpc the Nait 5i is quite grunty and handles everything I through at it CD & Vinyl, running through Quad 12L speakers.

And if you are a moderate volume listener, in a small room no problem at all - Perfect!

Schwarzwald
Unregistered guest
John -

have you compared the Creek 5350 SE against the Nait5i lately? I found it much more in control of bass with beautyful mids and as lively as the Naim.

Regards, +Schwarzwald

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Haven't seen any Creek gear around my area, I don't think there are any local dealers. But I've heard good things about there gear, particularly their phono stages.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1699
Love the Creek as an all around great amp but that Nait is spectacular for the money. There are some excellent amps in that price range including new Musical Fidelity but the Naim has that intangible something that I find equals the esssence of music. I know that ain't one bit helpful, but I had to say it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Art, I agree. After demoing Musical Fidelity, NAD, Roksan and Arcam at a similar or same price point - they where all great amps but the Naim Nait5i had a certain something. To my ears everything was just sweeter and dispite being marginally more expensive than some of the gear worth the extra cost in the long term.

As I'm not a serial upgrader and don't require masses of volume (50watts is still very loud) I think of the Nait 5i as a long term amp, and over a few years whats an extra few hundred dollars for a superior sound.

Teamed with Naim CD5i its just such a great system!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us