Help with selecting system

MK35
Unregistered guest
I'm interested in purchasing a system for a living room that would be used solely for audio. I'm interested in home theater systems because I'd like to have a single component that combines CD / tuner / all necessary amplification functions, plus speakers that are not noticeable (for aesthetics) but provide an adequate sound spectrum for a pretty big room. Is my best bet in fact a home theater setup -- perhaps just using the two primary speakers (in 2 channel mode) and the subwolfer? I think I would prefer not to go with wall mounted cubes, as I don't want to run wires all over (or through) my walls. I'm thinking that narrow tower type stand speakers in the corners would be best from an aesthetic standpoint. I could spend anywhere from $500 to $2000. Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 691
Get a separate receiver and a separate cd or dvd player. If you ever have a problem with the dvd or cd player you will still be able to play your system and either borrow an inexpensive cd player in the meantime. Combo units are rarley as good as the sum of their parts.

If you ever plan on using a dvd player it would be highly advisable to get a surround receiver.

Much depends on the the size of your room: width, height, and length. Getting a good self-powered subwoofer will take any strain off the receiver, but if your room is truly large, you will need a pir of speakers that are fairly sensitive (and if you are only using two main speakers) you would want one that toss a big soundstage--not to mention pretty good imaging.

Again, the size parameters of your room (and the acoustic charcter of your room--is it liely or fairly inert) will determine much of what your purchases should be to get optimal performance at your budget.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 692
Get a separate receiver and a separate cd or dvd player. If you ever have a problem with the dvd or cd player you will still be able to play your system and either borrow an inexpensive cd player in the meantime. Combo units are rarley as good as the sum of their parts.

If you ever plan on using a dvd player it would be highly advisable to get a surround receiver.

Much depends on the the size of your room: width, height, and length. Getting a good self-powered subwoofer will take any strain off the receiver, but if your room is truly large, you will need a pair of speakers that are fairly sensitive (and if you are only using two main speakers) you would want ones that toss a big soundstage--not to mention pretty good imaging.

Again, the size parameters of your room and the acoustic charcter of your room--is it lively or fairly inert?- will determine much of what your purchases should be to get optimal performance at your budget.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us