Ariston RD-90

Username: Sumdood

Ny, Ny Usa

Post Number: 4
Hello,
The seller from my thread yesterday agreed to come down to $400 for his 1998 Rega Planar 3 with RB300 tonearm. In the meantime, a seller from an earlier inquiry concerning a different TT contacted me about an early 1990s Ariston RD-90 with RB250 tonearm, also for $400 (or $350 w/o Audio-Technica cartrdige). Both are local sellers.

The Rega seems to have several things going for it: a company that is still going strong, far more info on the internet and elsewhere, and easier upgrades and replacements. Still, the Ariston is intriguing. People mention a "softer" sound for the RD-11 and RD-80 because of their suspension systems, and I wonder if the RD-90 might also possess this quality. Overall, it seems that with proper tuning and maintenance, the RD-90 is capable of producing sound a notch (or half-notch) up from the Rega.

The question is, how much work would this require? Are availability of parts and shortage of information for the Ariston enough reason not to buy it?

Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5983

Only you can decide that. Suspended subchasis tables all set up basically the same - unless you are talking Linn LP12. But, yes, I would consider the lack of parts and support to be a drawback. If not now, then probably down the road when you want to sell the table to upgrade. The Rega is an excellent table with a signature sound. Whether it fits best with your system is something only you can decide. It's sound, though distinct to Rega, still fits most systems with components equal to or slightly better than the Rega. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is try both tables with the same cartridge in your system. That's not likely to happen. Maybe the condition of the cartridge on the Ariston is a deciding factor.

amonar19
Unregistered guest
I am not familiar with the Arison but...I think that a quick search for Rega accessories, tweaks and upgrade will convince you that it may be a very good TT to an (renewed?) introduction to analog (again?).

Username: Sumdood

Ny, Ny Usa

Post Number: 5
Thanks to both of you for your input. I've decided to go with the Rega because it seems like the safer TT. And I'm not confident that I have the ability and patience to bring the best out of the Ariston.

Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us