Best AV Receiver under $1000 AUS RRP

Username: Morgs640

Post Number: 3
looking to buy an amp retailing under $1000 Aus any suggestions.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1455
It depends what you're looking for in a receiver. One model might be best for one person, while it will be quite another for the next.

There is no single 'best' receiver. Each has it's varied features, strengths and weaknesses, and the 'best' receiver soley depends on you.

Bronze Member
Username: Lazyb

SLC, UT

Post Number: 17
like Paul has stated, depends on what you like, and what features you need, and or frequently use.
For something to start looking into
Yamaha, RXV1500-RXV2500, Great Value Built into these recievers,
Marantz SR7500,
Pioneer 1015TX
A lot of shops should have these lines for you to listen to.
Good luck!

Steven 75430987
Unregistered guest
I think RXV1500 (and others) may be above the price you mentioned (could go 2nd hand). Audition the denon 1905 or bargain down the avr2105 to $1000. Compare these to other $1000 models from pioneer and Yamaha (or even NAD (expensive for what you get), Kenwood(cheap), or sherwood(cheap)).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1510
With a little negotiation skill, a RXV2500 can easily be purchased under $1000.

Bronze Member
Username: Lazyb

SLC, UT

Post Number: 20
I actually work for a distributor, and list price on an RXV-2500 is right around $1000. Like Paul said, with a little negotiating, it really shouldn't be a huge hassle to pick up the 2500 at $1000.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1514
Yep,
I paid $785 at a brick and mortar for mine, but of course, once you add new cables and sales tax, it still ended up costing over $1000 though.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 95
But Simon wants to pay no more than $1000 Australian. Wouldn't $765 US equal a bit more than $1000 AUS?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1521
You'll have to ask him that. It's not my job to google exchange rates.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 96
Simon asked for suggestions for an amp retailing for $1000 aus. Does it make sense to recommend any amp in US dollars if you have no idea what the exchange rate is?

What is your job anyway? Forum smart-a$$?

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 712
Try to hear onkyo TX-LR552. It has a digital amp section and is discreet. Sounds smooth like an upscale piece.

and the price is much lower than 1000.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1138
For $765 US I'd look at the Harman Kardon 2005 pure-digital receiver, it'll have better build quality and more audiophile features than the $200 Onkyo. Or if you want to stick with analog, keep an eye on Harman Audio at eBay for auctions on refurb HK 630/635s with full original HK warranty, they usually go around $600-700 US.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1550
C'mon.....

Who wants to own previously owned damaged goods??

Buy NEW!!
In the <$1000 price range there's the YamahaRXV2500, and then there's the rest.

I'll bet eddie buys refurbished shoes too...geez.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1155
heh Paul,

you're in fine form tonight, I'll grant you a point for that one...LOL

Refurb CAN mean factory-repaired, but it can also mean simply returned for any other reason too. Normally I wouldn't buy refurb for something costing so much but with the original direct HK warranty at refurb prices it's pretty tempting.

Actually since you can get the 2005 for $800 shipped from jandr.com I'd personally go that route:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Code=HK+DPR2005&JRSource=PriceGr abber.datafeed.HK+DPR2005

Amazing how electronics prices drop, it used to be over $1000 just a few months ago...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1560
Only suckers pay full retail price.

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 20
i just got a denon refurb it says on the box has some slight cosmetical flaws. guess what it has none at all. and i only paid 651.00 is the 3805 that is a good price for that model.

Username: Michaelsjones

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 2
Edster, you recommended the 2005 or either the 635? Do you think those are comparable - is the 7300 a better choice than either (i know it's considerably more expensive). Then what about the Marantz 8400 & 8500 or NAD T773? For HT use with some music and DVD concerts thrown in, what would be your personal choice?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1569
Michael,
That would depend on the individual. It's up to you to take a close look at each model to determine which would best fit your personal needs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1176
Michael,

I don't think you could really go wrong with either the 2005, 635, 7300, or 8400/8500 but I'd tend to place the T773 at least one notch above the others.

The 2005 being all-digital is the wild-card. I haven't heard it myself but after having read of many people on different forums opting to sell off their thousand-dollar analog receivers and even separates in favor of cheapie Panasonic sa-xr25s, 50s and 75s, I think that if the 2005 lives up to HK's history of putting out top-shelf products and if its digital SQ is really something far beyond analog then this might well be the little $800 giant-killer.

Notice all my "ifs" and "mights"---if it were my money I personally would experiment with the 2005 especially since jandr.com has an excellent return policy. My second choice, if it fell within my budget, would be the T773.

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 3
Hmmm...great feedback. I thought I had it down to HK - just deciding on 7300 (little more than I "want" to spend) or trying the new all digital which as you said is great price, probably partly because they can make them for less and partly trying to entice buyers over to the new side of things. I think HK is just solid stuff, but I have read a lot of comments from "purists" knocking the digital at the moment, at least. Not sure how valid because I haven't listened to it yet...need to find a local shop with that set up. But I know Marantz is good too and had not had much familiarity with NAD, but everything I read begins sounding really very good. I'm going "hunting" this afternoon and see if I can find some HT shops here in ATL with these brands to compare. I'll let you know if I have any revelations. Balancing my desire for "the best" with practicality for a married Christian "wanna be practical" guy with a child on the way gets me in trouble. (Speakers are next...) Thanks for the feedback.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1575
Happy hunting.....

Be sure to bring plenty of ammo incase you run into some game.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 526
You really should listen to some Marantz, HK, and NAD gear and decide which "sound" you like the best. From there you can concentrate on models and the individual features each model has.

It's a world of trade-offs so try to structure your decision around your favorite types of music, movies, sound effects etc.

I know when making my purchase I jumped the starter gun a bit and consider myself lucky for ending up with gear I don't regret buying at all.

Just don't rush it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1578
On the other hand, you might consider Yammi, Dennon, and Pioneer..........because the other stuff doesnt offer the best value for the dollar.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 543
Mike, I live with you here in the good ol hotlanta. I recommend audio alternative in Norcross, they are far the best in the state, if not then check out home waves in cumming or mundy's audio video in cumming or gainesville. I just bought a pair of totem bookshelf speakers from audio alternative and have never felt better about any purchase I ever made. The fella who owns that shop, Alan, is about the most helpful and knowledgeable gentlemen I have ever met and I will always be a customer there. They have alot of mid to high end brands to choose from. Other than tweeter , which has some decent stuff, thats about all I can comment on, but stay away from Georgia home theater, they are about the most arrogant, unfriendly bunch of folks I have ever encountered. To be in this business and be arrogant is quite possibly the dumbest act I have heard of. Besides using CV's with Bose surrounds topping that chart.
Joe out!

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 4
Thx Joe. I'll check that out as I'm in Tucker and Norcross is next door.

Today I was at Evolution HT - and I must say that "Bob" took over an hour with me, in no hurry whatsoever, and really gave me a good rundown on the brands they carry - B&K (impressive, but expensive and out of my range), then Marantz 7500 & 8500, and comparably priced Integra (high line by Onkyo) and ARCAM (? is that right) made in Great Britain. I blind tested all three on different types of music using a good quality Paradigm reference bookshelf speakers and I must say that the Integra surprised me and sounded really, really nice - i even picked it on one of the songs as being the best, nice crisp & clear highs, but across the board I kept coming back to the Marantz. After listening to jazz/big band and vocals (Sara Vaughn, etc.), I went into their true 7.1 channel HT using the 8500 and got Pearl Harbor in that opening bomb scene - very impressive.

Blind testing he said there was no doubt I was coming back to Marantz without fail, so that helps me a lot. I would describe it with much better low to mid-low range, but while maintaining integrity on the high end...just the way I heard it.

Evolution specializes in extremely high end HT, but he really knew his 2 channel "organic" music and spent ample time in that setting. Good experience, great service and no pressure - I would love to find a place to now compare Marantz to the 7300 HK head to head. I went to Fry's who had the 7300 on sale last week for $999, but their "sound room" was nothing more than an open ended cube with a buffet of everything and very poorly set up so impossible to get a real read on the 7300 - and service was very amateur level, although they try. Do you know if Audio Alternative carries HK and Marantz?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1190
Fry's has a liberal return policy, I'd put one of their 7300s on your credit card and take it in to the Marantz shop for a side by side if they let you.

HK is said to be a bit more neutral than Marantz which is warm. Very hard to go wrong between HK and Marantz though, so I'd probably let pricing be the final decision-maker. $1000 for the 7300 is a pretty good price, at least according to pricegrabber.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 1582
Joe,

Ya think?

Heh..

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 544
Evolution is good but a little overpriced. But they are very well respected in atl.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 697
Michael, if you are still hunting, stay away from Audio Forest in Chamblee. They have to be the rudest outfit I have ever encountered. I walked in there today and was treated as if I was an idiot who had stumbled into the wrong store and just needed to be treated foul to disappear. The guy even said, "yeah I don't do much walk in business, I do business all around the world" and he didn't even say goodbye to me as I said it to him. It is amazing how stupid these pompous dealers who think if you don't wave a Rolex or Armani suit in their direction, they simply do not have time for you. Well here I am doing my part. I suggest that everyone who reads this takes it to heart thatthere are a few high end dealers in GA who are nice AND trustworthy, Audio Forest is NOT one of those.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us