Username: Manoj

Post Number: 1
my earlier thread
"Speakers for Denon 1804- KEF or Mordaunt short"

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 19
Manoj,

This is a very open-ended post. I have to ask why have you limited your choices to KEF and Mordaunt Short? Which models are you considering? Have you listened to them with the Denon? You probably could answer the question yourself if you had. Also, what kind of music do you listen to or is it mainly for home theater?

I'm using a KEF sat/sub system with a NAD receiver for my home theater, which is very satisfying. It is less satisfying for music. One thing you should make sure is to get efficient speakers (i.e., high sensitivity) for the Denon 1804 because it has limited power. KEFs generally are not very efficient. I'm not familiar with Mordaunt Short speakers so I can't comment on them.

Perhaps if you provide more info, you will get more help from others on this board.

Post Number: 2
Two Cents,

Thanks for the response. I live in India and only these 2 speakers are avl in my budget. I listened to them with a Denon and both sound equally good. Couldn't perceive much difference.
I would use it for listening to music as well as movies. Music would mean something soft , no rock / heavy stuff.
I do not know much about speakers. Is absence of Magentic shielding a drawup ?
Will the material used for the driver make a difference ?

here is the spec info for both.
http://www.profx.com/newprofx/kef/cresta30-spec.htm

http://www.mordaunt-short.co.uk/products/avant904.html

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 358
magnetic shielding is a plus for a home theater, unless you can afford to put the speakers far away from your monitor.
I like the aluminum drivers of the Mordaunt-Short and the clarity of their high frequency drivers.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 287
Magnetic shielding is a good idea for your front two speakers and pretty much mandatory for a center speaker, unless you want to risk television interference.

Driver materials can make a difference, but there are great and mediocre speakers made from the same materials. So I wouldn't buy a speaker based on materials of the drivers, but on the sound quality.

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 21
Manoj,

If both speakers sound equally good to you, consider the following factors to help you decide: (1) If the speakers are going to be near the tv, the M-S has the advantage because of the magnetic shielding, i.e., it won't distort the tv picture. (2) Which speakers fit and look better in the room? When they are not playing they will still be there as a piece of furniture. (3) Which speakers have better build quality and better warranty?

Finally, it appears that you have decided on two fine speakers in that price range. Whichever one you choose will be the right one. Good luck and good listening.

Post Number: 3
I thank you all for the advice. I bought the Mordaunt short speakers. They sound great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us