Axiom M80Ti vs. Polk Audio RTi12

Bronze Member
Username: Aogemini

Pasco, Washington USA

Post Number: 14
To whom it may concern,

In looking at both floor standing speakers, they compare exactly on the number of drivers and compare closely to the price range. Which one is a better choice for both home movies and music application?...Why?

Thanks,
Art Ortega

Anonymous

If it is important to you, listen to them both and decide for yourself. If it isn't important to you, then go with the Axiom because they are pretty.

You're Welcome,
Anonymous

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1476
Whoah.......

Art,
You just asked a loaded question. Unfortunately, you wont be able to listen to the Axiom without buying them to compare.

I personally wouldnt feel comfortable with buying front speakers without hearing them first, but there are others who seem to think the Axioms are a great deal.

Although I would never buy fronts that way, I did take the leap of faith on a Sub, and was not disappointed.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1056
I'd probably lean towards the Axiom but the only one I've heard was the Polk which I thought was a bit overpriced for its sound quality.

In that price bracket you may want to look at Paradigm Monitor floorstanders, I liked them better than the RTi12.

Bronze Member
Username: Bunny

Big D, Texas

Post Number: 24
Art,

The best thing to do is to audition if possible. I agree with Paul (Did I just say that?) It will be very difficult to audition the Axioms unless you know somebody who owns a pair.
Recommendations are welcome and I respect that but each person has distinct tastes and listens to things in different ways, in my opinion the Polks Rti12 sound great, but I must say that you need a pretty good power supply to get the best out of them.

Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 34
You might want try the Wharfdale Diamond 9.6 or the PSB Image T65

Gold Member

Post Number: 1072
oh Paul, I can see a massive pair of Axiom floorstanders in your future yet!

Then you'll go for weeks raving about them just as you've been doing with the SVS sub...

ah, the endless march of Evolution---gods bless!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Edster the 80s are they a similar sound to the Paradigm Monitor 9s?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 153
Art -
This is a lot of money to pay for a speaker that you haven't heard. The Polk's are decent speakers, but I think they are very over priced. I'm not trying to bash Polk. They are a relatively well made speaker that definately has a respectible sound, but for that much money there are so many other great speakers out there.

Not to be a wise@ss, but have you gone to a hi-fi shop and listened to speakers in this price range? If the only place you've been to is circuit city, you should make it a point to go to a hi-fi shop. PSB, Paradigm, B&W, Klipsch, Jamo, and so on all make similar speakers in this price range that will blow away the Polks you mentioned.

If you have heard some or all of these, then disregard what I said. It truly is a matter of taste. A big reason why many hi-fi shops don't carry Polk is that they would most likely never sell standing next to a comparably priced speaker mentioned above.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
The LSI series is pretty good though,thats the main line as far as serious 2 channel listening.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 157
Polks are a good speaker, don't get me wrong for a second, but I think they are over priced for their performance. Dollar for dollar, I think there are a lot better sounding speakers out there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1082
Tawaun,

> Edster the 80s are they a similar sound to the Paradigm Monitor 9s?

Dunno, I've heard the Polk and Paradigm but not the Axiom. I certainly preferred the Paradigm Monitor series over the RTi series, no contest.

I tend to think that any Polk costing the same as an Axiom of the same size is probably going to be lower quality, since Axiom is Internet direct unlike Polk whose inflated prices are due to local markup.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Yeah Edster i would like the Axioms then.As far as the RTi goes they are not built as good as the old rt series was and they dont sound as good.Now the RT 10 vs. Monitor 9 noe thats agood battle i think the RTs sound alittle bit cleaner.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1086
> Now the RT 10 vs. Monitor 9 noe thats agood battle i think the RTs sound alittle bit cleaner.

Really? I thought the Monitor 5 was actually the best of the whole series if "clean" was the top priority, the 9 and the RTi10 both tend to lose control of the highs at reference volume if you ask me.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1505
Suuuure Eddie,

I guess that means you should stick with small bookshelf speakers, because anything bigger will lose control.

NICE......

Gold Member

Post Number: 1103
Paul, no point even discussing speakers with you since you never listen to music anyways...I'm sure as long as your SVS drowns out those Cerwin Vegas you'll always be a happer camper! hey if I had CVs I'd want my sub to drown 'em out too... ; )

Bronze Member
Username: Aogemini

Pasco, Washington USA

Post Number: 15
Stu - I have been to a few hi-fi shops that carry Klipsch, Def Tech, B&W, Wilson Audio, Martin Logan, Paradigm Monitor Series, etc. I had the pleassure of listening to many of the different speakers that each manufacturer's had to offer. My orginal budget was $800 for a pair floor standing speakers, $250 for 1 center channel, $600 for 2 pairs of surrounds channels, $500 for 1 subwoofer, and $500 for A/V receiver. In the end, I ended up purchasing a lot more than what I originally intended to buy (Click my profile to see my components). Paradigm's Monitor 11 was very high on my list as well but the timing of the sale price, tax-free purchase, and free shipping and handling all added favorably to my decision to purchase the Polk speakers, Yamaha subs & receiver. I wish I can afford SVS that Paul has. I wish I can afford to buy the Wilson Audio. I wish...I wish...

Bronze Member
Username: Bunny

Big D, Texas

Post Number: 25
Art,

I think you are going to be pleased with the RTi12's, however, when budget permits, you might want to consider adding a power amp (Perhaps NAD) or maybe even two monoblocks for your fronts. These are very power hungry speakers and IMHO the Yamaha will probably have some problems driving them. The results of adding more power to your system will be very rewarding.

Just an idea.

Enjoy !
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us