How many speakers are powered?

Username: Occam

Post Number: 7
Aside from the tweeter is only one speaker actually powered on floorstandings?

Arthur Kyle
Unregistered guest
All drivers in a passive speaker typically receive power from your receiver/amplifier if that is what you are asking.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 769
On some of the floorstanders, only the bass is powered by the internal amp, and your receiver is powering the rest.

Silver Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 108
I think neil's referring to active speakers. But most active speakers I know are bookshelves/monitors, not floortanders. Amongst powered speakers, my favourite are the genelecs.

Anonymous

It depends on the speaker. Some run everything off internal amps; some don't. It is up to the designer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
What is meant by a passive radiator?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 331
A passive radiator is a woofer without a motor. Just a frame and a cone. It's used in place of a port to allow the designer to make a smaller box. It can also be an advantage helping control the cone movement of the normal woofer by behaving more like a sealed box than a ported box. Performance wise a ported design is almost always better but there are many things to consider in speaker design.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
How come most speakers I find have only a woofer and a tweeter and not a midrange speaker? Vintage speakers seem to have a seperate midrange, howver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Forgive the typo.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 332
There are many reasons a company or a builder may choose a two-way or three-way system. Mostly it's going to be a cost consideration. A two-way system is going to have fewer parts and take less time to design. Another equally important reason is marketing. A two-way system is usually going to require a smaller cabinet. Many buyers prefer a smaller cabinet these days as opposed to the 70's when bigger was better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us