Difference between Onkyo and Integra?

Specifically, I am interested in the Onkyo TX-NR900 and the comparable Integra DTR-7.3.

I have heard that Onkyo's Integra line is higher quality than the standard Onkyo line, is this true? Is there information to back this up?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
I'm trying to figure this out , too. After hours on the web comparing brands and specs, I think I want the Onkyo or the Integra. Onkyo sure seems easier to find. Most web sites do not even have Integra listed. Or is it Onkyo Integra.

Also, do you knw of any good reviews on these, or independent tests done?

Phil Krewer
Starfire,

Intergra is suppose to be the higher end models for Onkyo much like Pioneer elite. I have never found any real evidence but they are suppose to have better components. There are some pro reviews on Integra products on this site although I have not seen any on the 7.3. I looked at the 7.3 pretty hard prior to buying a Denon 3803. From what I could gather the only difference between the Onkyo SR800 and the 900NR was features, most notably the net tune radio port and the RS-232 port. The 900NR retails for 1499. The Integra 7.3 also seemed very similar to the SR800 (except looks) and it also had the Net Tune and the RS-232. I found it at HiFi Buys
with a retail of 1299, but was able to talk them down to 1000. With that in mind IMO unless you can find any other difference between the two I would go with the Integra 7.3, just for the price and I would suspect that you would find very little difference in sound quality it any.

Phil

Phil Krewer
BTW,

The Integra has a 3 year warranty vs the Onkyo 2 year warranty.

Phil

That's so funny. I have the same exact question as Starfire. I was totally hooked on buying the Onkyo TX-NR900 and now today, I stumbled upon the Integra line of receivers at a small home theatre store. The sales associate is completely trying to push the Integra DTR-7.3. He quoted it at $1299.00. I can also get the TX-NR900 for about $1200.00 out the door from another internet source. He explained that all Integra receivers are hand built, compared to the Onkyo line that's assembled on a production line. He also said that the assembly componets are better quality and have to meet closer tolerances than the standard Onkyo line. That could be a complete line of crap though considering that he only carried the Integra Line and not the Onkyo. the only difference I see is that the Onkyo TX-NR900 is more powerful 110 watts compared to the 100 watts of the DTR-7.3. I liked the TX-NR900 because its command buttons in the front of the receiver are covered by the flip down door. I just think it looks cooler. I would just stretch to the Integra DTR-8.3 (that's 110 watts with the flip down door) but it's $2200 bucs. I'm confused. I don't know what I'm going to buy now.

Phil Krewer
Here's my biased opinion. There is very little difference between the Intergra and Onkyo counter parts. When I was looking at the 7.3, I found a place that was willing to sell it for $1000. I felt that the only difference between the 7.3 and the 900NR was the power rating. They both had Net tune and an RS-232 port. Personally if you want these features then get the 900NR because its 200 less and you wont get much more by going with the 8.3

Phil

Manoj
How strange? I was looking at exactly these same models and was confused, then I hit upon this message board. Phil I checked Hifi buys and dont see them selling any Integra. Was it http://www.tweeter.com you were talking about? I found this site selling it for $985 with $15 shipping to NJ. http://brandnamez.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2017&lastcatid=44&step=4&AffNo=8799243

Did anyone research Warfedale speaker for 7.3 or NR900? They sell them at Bestbuy today. Just checking.

Phil Krewer
Manoj,

The HiFi Buys in my town, Nashville, is not owed by Tweeters etc. They are privately owned and must have negotiated to keep the name. Go figure. Anyway they do sell Integra, but that probably doesn't do you any good.

Phil

Anonymous
I have been looking pretty hard at both of these models as well. I think that biggest difference (besides what has already been mentioned) is the detachable cord on the power supply on the integra, the onkyo has one more optical out and one more optical in, and the integra has the rs-232 port. If you want the the extra optical on the Integra you will have to go up one to the 8.3 which probably is a better match to the onkyo and is in the 2000 dollar ballpark last time I checked. At this point I would probably go with the Onkyo because I have seen it closer to the 1100 dollar price online. I am just kicking myself right now because I saw it open box at Circuit City for 900 bucks a few weeks ago and didn't pick it up.

hedonio
The difference between Onkyo and Integra is mainly cosmetic. Yes, integra components are "hand picked" and the Onkyo are "mass produced". There are some options on the Integra that are not on the Onkyo like the "BUS" connections. Onkyo is the "entry level" item, Integra is the "mid level" and Integra Research is the "top of the line" brand of Onkyo. All these products are great for the price and the warranty and customer service are top notch! Integra gives the "audiophiles" those extras like gold plated speakers connections. There is (no doubt) more quality control on the Integra line. I will recommend, if you have the extra cash, to go with the Integra over the Onkyo, not because of the performance, but because is just a little better product!

For you Onkyo and Integra experts... I just purchased the Integra DTR-7.3 and have it connected to some Definitive Technology speakers (towers are bi-wired). The problem is that the receiver gets real hot and the protective circuitry shuts down w/i an hour. Also, It will not allow me to go above the "50-53" volume rating. Is it defective? Do I have a short? Speakers are 8 ohm impedance. My older Sony GA8ES had no problem. Please help....
I have connected the speakers (w/banana plugs) the same as I connected the Sony ES, so I don't think I have speaker wires crossed...
I appreciate any helpful remarks, Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us