A/V Receiver Match for Paradigm Signature S8 floorstanders

KevinS
Unregistered guest
I am considering an upgrade to my front speakers (currently own klipsch ksf 10.5's). I auditioned paradigm signature S8's and S6's and what I heard was jaw-dropping unbelievable. They are what I want, but when I mentioned to the dealer that I have a harman kardon avr55(65watts/channel stereo,
55watts/channel 5 channel mode) He suggested I stear clear of that much speaker because they are "power hungry" and only for "serious audiophiles willing to invest in separates". My question is this: can I match the paradigms to a receiver and be happy with the sound? I have a wife-approved budget of $5000 for speakers and up to $2000 for a receiver upgrade. Doesn't nad,anthem,etc. have a receiver that will drive the paradigm signatures or am I dreaming.

Silver Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 121
I am not really an expert, but the S8's are 91 db efficiency which aren't really that hard to drive, so I would think that one of the higher end receivers like the denon avr3805/pioneer elite 56txi would be able to drive them quite well. Just my opinion, but i am sure someone with a little more knowledge will help you out a bit more. That would be one hell of a system that is forsure, so enjoy.

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 39
You can certainly get a receiver from NAD, Arcam or Rotel that would do the job, and the ones 'd lowe' mentioned should work as well. Or if your HK has pre-outs for the front channels you can just add a stereo power amp or a couple of monoblocks. And if it has pre-outs for all channels you can consider adding an external 5-channel amp.

KevinS
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your replies d lowe and Zig. I just discovered this forum today, and it is neat. My HK has preouts for the fronts. I just have to have those paradigms now that I've heard them. I can remember my old pioneer receiver from college with watt meters for both channels barely moving past 3 watts no matter how hard I rocked. I just find it hard to swallow that a person has to buy separates to enjoy music! I can remember many of what I refer to as "goosebumps on goosebumps" moments in college with that receiver and pioneer 40 Watt speakers. Considering watts/channel with all channels driven should I aim for at least 100 watts/channel in an A/V receiver or external 5-channel amp. Thanks for all replies.

Bronze Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 40
well.. Kevin you certainly don't have to add an external amp to enjoy your speakers, but I think you'll find that the more good clean power you throw at them the better they'll sound.

100W/channel is a 'magic' number in marketing, and most receivers do not rate for 'all channels driven.' And unless you're listening to a lot of multichannel audio you don't really need that much power for your surrounds.

I like the amps from Outlaw Audio, an internet-direct company that allows 30-day in-home trials of their equipment. For your needs a pair of the M200 monoblocks (200W each, $299 each) would be great. 2-channel amps from ATI, Adcom, Bryston, Rotel, NAD and others would fit the bill as well, depending on how much you want to spend.

You can get great deals on older power amps if you're willing to buy used, and the Outlaw amps are generally regarded as bargains for new equipment. I have their 755 (5x200W) for my basement theater to power DefTech speakers that also love good clean power.

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 18
the paradigm are great speakers but i would also look at axioms too.

KevinS
Unregistered guest
Thanks Zig for the information. I don't believe I've heard of Outlaw Audio, but I certainly will check them out. The monoblocks sound good as does the 755 that you said you have. I have Klipsch ksf 10.5's in front, a Klipsch center, cheap BestB klh surrounds, and a Klipsch ksw 200 for lfe. I want to eventually upgrade my surrounds, but for now the wife has ok'ed the front speakers and the upgrade in power,(receiver,amps,etc.) Do you like the DefTech speakers? I want to be completely satisfied with my speaker choice, and the paradigm S8's sure sounded sweet. They will be a chunk of change if I choose them, but I figure if music is my passion, I want it to sound like I'm in the hall with whoever I'm listening to. Rik, I know of axioms and will check them out also. Thanks everyone for your responses. Kevin

Bronze Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 42
I love the DefTechs, especially for HT, but they do a great job on music too when positioned properly. The Bipolar design and built-in powered subs make that a challenge. Make sure that if you listen to them they are positioned well. You can definitely get the feeling of being in the room with the artist. But it's a very different type of sound than the Paradigms.

In your price range the top-of-the-line BP7000SC might be a better comparison than the 7002s I have. But there are lots of great speakers in your range, and speakers, more than anything else, are a matter of personal taste.

You would also do well to check out some of the MartinLogan speakers. You can definitely get the Aeons for under $5k, and I think you can get the Ascents in that range.

Other brands to consider: Focal/JMLabs, Revel, Totem, Energy Veritas line, etc. Try and listen to as many different speakers as you can to find the sound you like. The Paradigms are great speakers, but a lot of what you heard was the difference in presentation between them and your Klipsch fronts. In the end you still may like the Paradigms the best, but you won't know until you've compared a bunch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us