Cartridge advice

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 179
The questions keep coming....

My current set up is a Technics SL-BD2, NAD C320BEE integrated amp, NAD P/P-2 phono pre-amp, and PSB Image t55 Towers. The Technics requires a P-Mount cartridge.

What would be a good cartridge for this set up? My current one is a cheap $30 Audiotechnica from Circuit City. I only bought it because I needed a cheap one that I could use to see if the tt actually worked or not. It honestly sounds decent, and I don't believe that more money always means better sound. But I'm sure there is better stuff out there.

I've heard that the lower end Grado's are a great value - Black, Green, etc. I have no friends or family with any experience with tt's in the last 20 or so years, so I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on any cartridges up to around $100, but would like to keep it below that if possible. Ideally $50-$75. The few salesmen I asked treated me like I had a Fischer-Price tt.

Or is what I have one of those rare diamonds in the rough? With Circuit City's great audiophile reputation, I am willing to bet that it isn't.

Thanks again!!!

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 513
Grado red, ortofon om 20 but if you really want to shine:http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.370/it.A/id.236/.f
its 375 but oh man is it worth it. whatever you find I suggest having it mounted. maybe 30-50bucks and worth it

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 190
Thanks Joseph. Seeing as how my tt and phono pre-amp combined probably aren't worth as much as the $375 cartridge, I think it is safe to assume that I won't hear it's full potential.

I know asking what sounds good is very subjective (I always tell people to listen first when they ask about other components here), but I haven't found a place that I can trully A/B cartridges against each other. The few stores that carry tt's (and I live 15 min outside of Manhattan) all have stuff like VPI and Nottingham tt's, and cartridges that start at a couple hundred bucks.

I have heard good things about the Ortofon carts too.

I've heard that the biggest difference in tt's is the tone arm and cartridge. The other stuff is also important, but 80% is the tone arm and cart. Is this pretty accurate?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 521
It seems to be yes. I wouldn't put it past your table to outdo what you think it should do. I have a project 1.2 table, worth about $300-400 and was told by a very reputable dealer that with that dynavector cartridge I would be astounded. Like you though that is alot to invest without hearing it. So I did and wow is all I have to say. I tried the grado red before I bought the ortofon. The red was a little more neutral but seemed to have less range. Could be my system too though , you never know. Anyway I would suggest getting one that you have heard and sounds good to you. The tone arm is very important as is the adjustment of the arm with the cartridge, which is another reason I suggest you let someone else mount it. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 635
I concur with Joseph that the Dynavector is a wonderful cartridge for the money. However, I disagree with him that this would be the way to go forward. The cartridge is only as good as the deck in which it's mounted. Crap deck, crap sound. This is because the deck can't hold the cartridge properly and usually introduces a lot of noise into the system too so the cartridge is both wasted on there as well as suffers more wear since it's expecting to drive a half-decent deck. So Stu, I agree with what was told you.

Recently I listened to a Grado Prestige Gold ($189 from Take Five Audio) in a good deck (Michell Gyrodec with Rega RB250 arm - about $2000 worth). That was one sweet cartridge for the money. If the lower Grados are anything like it, then that'll be a good choice.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 197
Thanks again guys, I've been away for a little while... I found a place that will let me A/B the grado and ortofon carts on my deck. I'll let you know how it went.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 641
Thanks Stu - very interested in your conclusions.

Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us