$2k for floor speakers - recommendations?

Anonymous

I have been looking at Paradigm, Thiel, Revel and B&W.
All seem good - any recommendations?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1404
All of those brands make quality speakers. I strongly recommend you track them down in person to listen to them before you spend $2000, and choose the model that impresses you most.

There is no clearcut 'best' in that price range(or any), and the 'best' speaker soley depends on individual taste and preferences.

Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 9
What kind of sound do you like?warm laidback,foward brightly lit treble,bass heavey it depends on what kind of sound this about the begining of when you really have solid choices

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 871
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378%26item%3D5785150048 %26%26

:-)

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 956
Paradigm Studio 100's are mighty good, then again so are alot of speakers in that price range.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 107
Like Art said, their are a lot of great speakers in that price range. I would add the PSB Stratus Gold and Stratus Silver to the list. I am pretty partial to PSB's, but they have gotten great reviews. I think Magnepan makes a speaker at that price range too if your open to electrostats.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 962
You tell 'em Peter.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 963
I picked up this link from another thread here. Sorry Peter but I think these trump the horns.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll%3FViewItem%26category%3D14993%26item%3D4391073040%26%26

Anonymous

To a horn freak, little if anything trumps the K-horns Art.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1415
802s for 2K??

You'd think they must either be hot, or damaged in some way.

Bronze Member
Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 32
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993%26item%3D7333848966 %26%26

I don't know if they are hot or not but they were put back on for $3000.00. I wonder if they will be pulled back off. $3000.00 is still really low. You can find a pair of 803's though for $3000.00 fairly easily but not 802's. Something is up. Buy it now for a pair of 802's should be around $4500.00 at least.

Bronze Member
Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 33
Oh and with $2000.00 if I wanted something new it would most likely be B&W 704's. They can be had for right at that amount. I am partial to B&W though so to each his/her own.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 894
Seriously, for 2K, go to the Klipsch forum and ask if anyone around your area would let you listen to their Klipschorns. I have a pair and they really are that good. They go for 6.5K or more new and they last forever. Mine are 28 years old and my La Scala are 32 years old.

If the original Anon poster still around?

If so, are you the same one who commented on them?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Well here is mine one is $100 over 2k.so here goes: Usher cp 6311,Magnapan MG 1.6,Epos M22,I know you guys dont believe me but here goes SDAT SB 639d and the Wharfedale Opos 1

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 252
Pro-Ac for me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Yeah i like Pro Ac to which ones? the tablelites 8

Unregistered guest
Tawaun, I was surprised to see you recommend the SDAT SB639d in comparison to the other (much more expensive) speakers. The SDAT SB639d's can be purchased for $260 a pair. This must be quite a bargain if they are being compared to others in the $2K price range. What else can you tell me about these?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
What do you wanna know TonyS it seems you are the only to aproach them with a open mind.See what most people on this forum is failing to realize is 60% speakers are made in China and for people to think that the Chinese cant build good speakers needs to look at the international economy.So whatever questions you have i will be happy to answer them.

Unregistered guest
I think that the SDAT's are designed and engineered in Germany. I'm not too concerned with where the final assembly is done
I guess what I want to know is do they really compare in quality and sound to the much more expensive speakers ($2K range) that this thread was about. I'm sure that there is a lot of skeptical opinions regarding the quality and sound of a $260/pr speaker, particulary when recommended to someone with a $2K speaker budget. I am always looking for a good bargain and the most bang for my buck, so if there are $260/pr speakers out there that are comperable to $2K/pr speakers, I would be very interested in them...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Well,TonyS they really do infact up into this point in time I've never heard any thing that can combine all of their strengths at 2k.And one thing that they that mega buck speakers do is reveal compression levels from different recordings,and ambiance in the top end,vocal sibelence to high end degree in otherwords they break the recording down to many small degees.And while still remaining musical soundstaging is wall to wall if the recording permits it.And one thing they can do is produce accurate and detailed bass and "Paul you will love this they can produce mega speaker bass power,no im not talking about Athena F2 power im talking Wison Watt Puppy power,so Tony feel free to ask more questions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1518
Give me a break. The SPL from my SVS would knock those lightweights over.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
See,Paul you are talking about subs."Good Lord you really are a bass finatic,but you will need that SVS to compete because they will thrash your CVs!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1520
LOL....I doubt that. None of these sissy modern lightweights can touch them.

I'll have to admit though, the SVS made a big difference because of todays demanding movie soundtracks. There is a lot to be said for the benefits of a behemoth 140lb sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
Deffinately considering all these small speakers even when you add a sub they are still missing all the undepinnings of the music.But they will crunch your CVs,my budy has some he came over yesterday and he didn't leave very happy,dont get me wrong I respect the CVs for their low frequency performance though but time marches on Paul,model you have though they are very good in most aspects.

Unregistered guest
So if I was on a budget of say up to $600/pr and was considering the following possibilities, which one would you say is the best;
This would be strictly a 2 speaker system for music CD listening, mostly rock music.

SDAT SB639d
SDAT E800
Energy C-5
Athena AS-F2.2
JBL E80 or E100
Any others?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1532
Listen to the models in person, and buy what "YOU" think sounds best.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
The 800s are good to but 639s are head and shoulders above the rest of them.Its not even close TonyS a different level.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1533
There are more factors that go into any speaker buying decision than 'plain' perceived quality.

For example, if you want a rocking HT, picking a dainty 10lb lightweight will not do the purpose justice.

On the other hand.....and massive pair of 802s will.

Get my drift?? The intended purpose is very important in speaker selection, and that is something you are overlooking.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
I have to admit i like small speakers,but nothing is like a good big speaker

Gold Member

Post Number: 1535
Comparing 'lightweights' to behemoths like the 802 is apples to oranges.

You could take the greatest 'flyweight' boxer in the history of boxing, and put him up against Tyson in his prime, and you know what would happen????

Yea, sure, the little tiny flyweight is very skilled, and a quality boxer, but it would be impossible for him to defeat a 'behemoth' boxer with equal skill.

Tyson would have knocked that little 'flyweight' dude into the 10th row inspite of him being the best 'tiny' fighter in the world.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 127
Paul is correct in most cases. My old A-L Stonehenge IIs (12 inch woofer) will blow the doors off my Ascends from treble to bass. BUT, they also take up a lot of room and space and are not helped all that much by my sub. The M&K sub fills in wonderfully for the Ascends though so I get pretty good representation of the original "larger" sound, including big booms in HT, yet I don't have to work around 125 lb. behemoths.

Did I love my A-Ls in their day. YOU BET. Might I recone them and bring them back to life for 2 channel, probably so (this is just for Paul mind you - if the wife will let me put them out in the open somewhere). However, I don't miss them at all with the smaller Ascends teamed with a the good M&K sub doing bass duty.

I recognize I'm off topic here but there are different ways to deal with the speaker & equipment budget issue and still get great sound. You don't have to have $2000/pair speakers to get there, especially if you're driving them with a cheapo Pioneer or worse.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Oh,Paul thats spot on your a funny dude.But on a serious note i think even when you ad a sub to a small 2 way you are still missing something.With my bookshelfs i dont even use a sub i think for some strange reason it makes the sound kinda uninvolving.To make along story short a good big speaker is better than a small good speaker any day of the week.

iogdjorjogeriojgoi
Unregistered guest
Mike Tyson???? Talk about a loser if there ever was one. Yeah he was the youngest to hold the heavyweight title but he didnt exactly keep it very long. Of all the solid boxers to chose from man...

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
Yeah, thats true to Mike Tyson didnt know how to handle being on top.Of the heavyweights that I have been lucky to get to see"Larry Holmes". But anyway,its not the way it used to be when a mini monitor used to be able to image and soundstage better than floorstanders but that is all here say now Floorstanders have bested mini monitors in aspect of performance,so what advantages do monitors have besides taking up space and with stands you can even argue that point.So this isnt the 70s and 80s anymore and thats why a good big speaker can beat a good little speaker any day of the week.

Anonymous

Floorstanders still tend to have more resonance problems as compared with their bookshelf counterparts.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Not if its built right i have heard some bookshelfs that sounded pretty boxy the Athenas for one the whole line sounds boxy.

Unregistered guest
I apologize for my ignorance, but can someone clearly define "boxy" when used to describe speaker sound quality. I have heard it repeatedly on this forum and don't quite understand the meaning...

Unregistered guest
Boxy = you can hear the sound coming right out of the speaker "boxes"(enclosure) specific location.

Good speakers "disappear", they are transparent and open up to a large soundstage without the speakers drawing attention to their location.

Unregistered guest
The Athena floors I heard were not boxy, they did not call attention to themselves. I heard them at Best Buy and they were good; heard them in a "boutique" with a pretty substantial Denon set-up and they were good.

To me, they were transparent, good and excellent for the money. If it fits your budget you would be crazy not to buy them.

By definition, a floorstander can have potential bass resonance and the corresponding coloration or jagged frequency jump/decline in the bass/mid-bass frequency area. Bookshelfs obvisously don't deal with as much bass, so it isn't as much of an issue.

Trust me, listen to Dynaudio or Snell floors; they eliminate coloration beause they are built rock solid, internally braced, premium crossovers/drivers and whatever other stuff premium speaker lines do to sound neutral and balanced.

These speakers blend the sound from the top to bottom with a flat, smooth, uncolored, neutral frequency response. What you get is everything including the bass out of two transparent enclosures.

And, you don't have to mess around with trying to blend in the additonal bass from a subwoofer for critical music listening; this drives me nuts.

This all changes depending on room acoustics and the speakers' placement, at least from my experience.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 277
I also found the Athenas boxy (weird term). They had a lot of weight but seemed to over push certain areas of sound. Every speaker has its limitations at the budget prices we are talking about. Mine (Wharfedale 9.6) have a little problem with strings when playing softer music but excels in rock or music with big sound. Some people will like these things and some don't....that is part of the objectivity with speakers.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 278
Jaw......I forgot to mention that I also thought that the Dynaudio and Snells were amazing BUT they are quite a bit more expensive.

I eliminated the use of my subwoofer after buying the Wharfes as the bass is just right for me. This was important in my purchase. I really like my sub but I believe that listening to music, it can sometimes be overkill.

Unregistered guest
D, you're right; to you they sounded boxy. You also commented why they weren't tasteful with an "over push" exaggeration to certain parts of the sound. That's good; after all the opinions on this board to help make a good decision, it then comes down to one's budget and ears to finally make a choice.

My only thoughts, when you listened to the Athena floors, were they at least 18"s from the back walls and corners, and was you're listening position, say, an equidistant 9 feet from the speakers with 9' between the speaks?

You've probably read this, don't mean to bore:
http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/645/index4.html
The Athenas do have some enclosure resonance; what I heard was minor relative to a great package of sound.

My opinion only; enjoy the Wharfedales and music.
And not messing around with the sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_the_man

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 41
well i used to be in the club that there is no replacement for displacement. Then i heard these..

http://www.vonschweikert.com/vr1.html

UMM these are killer with a sub, and would argue that with a sub combination sound better than most of the floor standers in this price range. Sonic accurancy above all else is spectacular, especially when listening to live recorded music.

Don't discount the bookshelf speakers!! Of course anything sounds good with 10 grand worth of rotel equipment driving them..... except bose i guess. Then again i have axioms so take that for what its worth i guess lol.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 282
Jaw I did try the Athenas at a shop and I doubt it was an ideal surrounding so I suppose I would like to hear them again in a better situation.

Yes, I did read that article BUT like I keep saying, you must trust your ears first before any article. Also, yes I do like not using my sub for music anymore.......much more pleasing since the HSU subs are very dynamic, it can be hard to get the right bass with small speakers without bloating it too much.

Dan, how do you like your AXIOM M60's? I am curious after changing mine.

Unregistered guest
Enjoyed your comments; we're all here to learn something.

Bronze Member

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 43
danman, they are actually starting to settle down after about 3 months, i found the treble a little overcoming and considered sending them back.

My problem right now is lack of amplification which i will solve in the next year.

The dynamics are very smooth and is a much better set up than i'm used to, however right now the way things are set up the sound seems to be subjective with different source material if that makes any sence.

They are paired up with an svs 20-39 which gets the job done for ht. Not really complaining at this price range.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Jaws,I actually bought the Athenas and kept them for a few days while my JM Lab Cobalt 816 s were being repaired and I had my whole Nad setup and I put them in my usual positions,which is 3 feet from the back wall and 6 feet from the sidewalls in a well damped treated room,and sur enough they a few good points to them.But after listening to the Labs and having a Pair of Totem Arros up stairs on stanby,and a pair of Totem Forrest that just left along with Unison Unico gear,and also Quicksiver preamp and mono blocks.They sounded boxy not overbaringly so,but enough to hear and not to mention the upper midrange and lower treble brightness I could not stand but you may like them and at the time I would have said they were still a good deal for the price considering their full range ability,but now I would say the are not when you could get any of the SDATs for cheaper and a quality sound that can rival much more expensive speakers.So before you do buy the Athenas you should consider SDATs I have heard three of them,but not all of them and none had that boxy sound or the brightness,so you check them out at www.Overstock.com.They have a website I will get you the imformation the next time you are on line.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 286
Dan, I found that the M60's were also bright but in general were really good for movies since they were sooooo detailed in the treble department. Mainly they were tiring at long intervals and that is what my ears don't like.

Bronze Member

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 46
Well not to get paul going, but i had cerwin vegas and infinity speakers before this, so i am enjoying the details.

I know about the listener fatigue you are describing, the bass dept is a little weak also, if it wasn't for the sub i fear they would be long gone.

What reciever comination did you use with yours and what did you end up with anyways? Just curious
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us