Archive through May 09, 2005

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 1102
The 2005 Cream Reunion Tour will not be coming to the United States. Official word has it that Ginger Baker has 40 year old arrest warrants, and will not take the chance of being arrested or detained in the U.S.A.. The warrants are for possession of pot.

I wish this was a joke.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1806
Rick,

We're sending our boss over to talk to your boss about forgiving past trangressions by aging rock stars. We did it for Mr Cocker so I don't see why our Johnnie can't convince your George to be equally compassionate for ol' Ginge' - after all, it's getting near dawn for him and the rest of us. LOL!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1103
Rantz,

Trust me, the last time I saw Mr. Baker with Cream, pot smoking was the least of his problems. LOL!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3583

1253 - Nichiren, a Japanese Buddhist monk, propounds Nam Myoho Renge Kyo for the first time and declares it to be the essence of Buddhism, in effect founding Nichiren Buddhism. And you thought I'd forgotten.

1789: Mutiny on The Bounty. The event, not the movie.

1945 - Benito Mussolini and his mistress Clara Petacci are executed by members of the Italian resistance movement. Still no word on Italy's 60th government?

1945: Dachau concentration camp, near Munich, is liberated.

1953: After overthrow of democratically elected government, the CIA installs the Shah of Iran, beginning a 25-year dictatorship in that country.

1967: Heavyweight boxing champion Muhammed Ali is arrested for refusing military induction.

1996 - The world's worst 'spree killer', Martin Bryant, kills 35 people, and wounds another 18 at the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania, Australia.

Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church:
Saints Theodora and Didymus
Arthemius
Saints Vitalis and Valeria
Patritius
Luchesius
Louis Marie Grignon of Montfort
Peter Chanel Didn't know Pete had made it to sainthood? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Chanel

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1104
2005-Rick was denied membership application with the Hanoi Hi-End Audio Club.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1105
Come on guys! That was some of my best material. NO ???????

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3584

Hanoi?

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1808
Rick,

Next time, don't apply in uniform.

Hope this helps.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1106
Jan,

If you look thru the AMP section, you will see the thread. I assumed you would and made the post.

Rantz,

I'll have to work on that. I'm still partial to khaki and woodland camo (especially tiger stripes). LOL!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3049
Rick,

I expect Hanoi Hi-End Audio Club recognised you from your excellent cameo in "The Deer Hunter". You should have told them it was only an LP destatic pistol.

Jan,

I have met a number of Iranians and all think things went distasterously wrong after the death of the Shah. Mind, they are all refugees. Personally, I think theocracy is an overated system of government.

Perhaps next Thursday will be the final cure for the UK's eight-year dose of TB. If not, there may be nobody else to vote for by about 2009. It is getting close to theocracy; the moral certainty that you know better than everyone else how they should live their lives. That is why the guy withheld information, and manufactured imaginary "intelligence" about WMD. He still knows he was right to do that, that is the chilling part. If I were rich, I would send copies of "Animal Farm" to everyone standing for election.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3050
For anyone interested: International Campaign Against Mass Surveillance.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1811
John A

TB is no different from our JH except they are from opposing sides. But, even if they were wrong, they were right imo. In fact I think they were so right, they should have been right a long time ago.

But here we go politics again. What happened to the audio forum?

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1107
What Audio Forum? I thought my post of 4/26 9:11am, wrapped up the Forum portion of the program. What else is there to know?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3589

Why you want to go back to Hanoi? For the Pepsi and KFC?

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1108
For the Annual Jane Fonda Film Festival! LOL!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1109
Talk about your wide open doors......LOL!

PS-I did enjoy the Buddhist reference yesterday.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3591

What do they show? The five minutes of her in the '70's siting on the anti-aircraft gun or the five minutes in 2005 where she asks why no one told her she was not doing the "smartest" thing?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3051
Long ago I had a poster of her in the '60s, sitting on a rock at the sea shore.

BTW, and not wishing to pre-empt Jan, today is the 30th anniversary of the fall of Saigon. Which now, as Ho Chin Min City has fast food retaurants, and does not look at all as if Communism won.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3595

John - Remember the American people were warned by L.B.J. that once Viet Nam fell to the Commies, the Domino Effect would be the fall of the entire continent of Asia. The Reds would then soon be attacking the shores of the U.S. of A. As you say, it looks as though Pepisco and Exxon are communist companies.

In somewhat related news, just for those who care (everyone else please skip the following), Ahmad Chalabi - "convicted embezzler, suspected Iranian spy, double-crosser of America, purveyor of phony war instigating intelligence" and scumbag supreme - is the new Iraqi oil minister. He is in charge of the second most expansive reserves of oil in the world at a time when the energy companies are reporting record profits and prices are at record levels.

YEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

In a just released 92 page addendum to the Iraq Survey Group report on W.M.D., the conclusion is there were no weapons; nyet, nada, no way.

Mr. Blair seems to still be having problems with the legality of the Iraq invasion.

On this 30th anniversary of the end of the Viet Nam "conflict"; news from the Pentagon that the Iraqi insurgents are growing "increasingly desperate" is of little comfort to some.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3057
Jan,

Just possibly I agree with My Rantz about the invasion itself. However, there is no question Mr B withheld caveats in a legal analysis of the case - suppressed them even from his own cabinet. He now says the expert legal source must have changed his mind (wonder why?) between March 7 and 17 - "not my mistake" is becoming our PM's guiding principle, and he is running out of fall-guys - he will recruit some more if re-elected.

Anyway, one could argue about the decision, even if it were not "legal" - whatever that means in an international context.

What, in my view, is completely unforgivable is the manufactured case for WMD "poised ready to strike". It was designed to scare, and it worked. It blo_dy well scared me, and I was somewhere else. And he knew it was empty spin: he employed an unelected former tabloid journalist precisely to doctor official press releases in that way (said press officer also subsequently had to resign - who's next?).

When a weapons' expert and official inspector who had actually been to Iraq dozens of times said, quietly, anonymously, to a a journalist "this is not what I've seen" he was sought out hounded, persecuted, named, publicly humiliated, and paid for the indescretion by taking his own life. Plus his press contact, who raised the question of whether the misinformation had come from No. 10 in the most qualified and circumspect way (I heard the interview, about two minutes at around six in the morning) was bullied, and one of the most important independent news sources, the BBC, threatened and cajoled into toeing the line. All for raising the possibility that TB might just, knowingly, be exaggerating the threat. Subsequent events prove he was doing just that, actually much worse - making it up - and all the fire from No. 10 was because of vanity: he wanted to maintain an appearance of integrity despite having systematically and knowingly misled the entire country. On the biggest of issues - whether to go to war. And just to get his own way. (And someone else's of course - any deals cut at Camp David, do you think....?)

Blair should have resigned on the day Kelly's body was identified - he knew full well who he was, and why he killed himself.

This guy should not be merely voted out, he should be put in trial for treason, plus manslaughter. Watergate was a lesser issue, in my opinion.

I feel better now. Thanks for reading. Sorry, anyone who is not to bothered. From where I sit, it matters.

Back to audio, please.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3058
Apologies for the last post.

I have been looking at specs and reviews for (SA)CD players.

Coming up is a nice-looking machine the Musical Fidelity kW SACD which can be switched between valve and solid-state output, but it is going to be around £4,000.

There is a Marantz SA-11S1 which is also pricey (£2,000) by my standards. The review in HFN in May points out it has no "default" CD setting - you have to choose between three digital filters, one of which gives a "valve-like" sound. The lack of a default CD setting means "A/B comparisons between the CD and SACD layers of hybrid discs are inevitably coloured". But the reviewers seem contradict themselves: "the CD performance may well incur a degree of euphony, regardless of the filter setting" and "CD-only replay can be euphonic, thanks to the proprietary filters". What does this actually mean?

Both of the above have over-sampling.

This leads me into thinking I can might get better CD performance from a dedicated CD player, as Rick, for example, has always advocated.

So I come down to more affordable propositions such as the Musical Fidelity X-Ray v3 or the Shanling CD-T80 with a valve output stage.

Correcting for different recordings, mixes, filters, and thinking of stereo only, just to make the comparison: does SACD in itself give better sound that CD?

I know friends here have said "Yes" but I cannot pull a clear statement to that effect out of professional reviews.

On these hybrid SACD/CD discs - is it THE SAME programme material in each case, with any difference in sound quality arising only from the two formats?

It is no good taking a favourite disc into a dealer for a demo if one does not know whether one can make a true comparison, since there is no "control experiment".

I am getting slightly weary of audio reviewers. I reckon to understand English fairly well and have a basic understanding of the technology, but half the time these guys seem to be playing with words (e.g. "Euphony"). For example, I read, about the Shanling, in HFN, a reputable magazine:

"What immediatly strikes you is the bass, which has excellent timing".

How can a player do anything at all to the "timing" of any part of the audible spectrum? DO other players advance or retard frequencies below some threshold? What does this guy actually MEAN?

- Confused, London.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1812
For a guy who raved about a T760 and a T533 which by most standards are mid-fi gear, you sure are asking a lot from a pending sacd/cd player. If you want to aim for perfection then that is going to be related to a vast sum of money. You are obviously looking for someone else's answer to your question of whether sacd is better than cd, because you've had mine, Kegger's and Larry's several times and seem to have taken them all with a grain of salt.

Try having an audtion John. Get your favourite cd - one that is available on sacd - and test with some reasonable gear in an audio shop. Also use a recording that has some variety of instrumentation so you have a decent reference to compare - then form your own opinion - after all, is that not the advice you give everyone else when considering new equipment. Sheeesh!

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1046
John A. - back from five days of bad Rock music, worse beer and friends who take coupon-clipping and "get it free" to ridiculous levels. Sigh.

Haydn, anyone? Yes, thank you!

Anyway - Key West was an "interesting" experience, and even had some good moments! A butterfly sanctuary and a day-sail on an old schooner topped the list. The Conch Republic celebration was a sudsy, dance-filled parade, though our friends remained poker-faced throughout. Sad, these people who think only of saving money, and little else!

Anyway - John - if possible, you must take a favorite - preferably hybrid - disc into a shop and just listen. Forget, please, all about "scientific double-blind testing" for now. Just listen.

Some SACDs have divine sound, others are lesser productions. Just as CDs. But overall I have found that SACDs give a fuller, richer, more dynamic and "near-natural" sound. IMHO, of course, sir!!!

If I were you, sir, I'd forget about super-esoteric players, and get something akin to a Denon 3910 - about $1,000 USD. Anything "greater" than that will probably be a waste of money for you.

And a good day to all. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3059
Thanks, My Rantz.

I do not doubt you, but there are professional reviewers who think there is no difference that cannot be attributed to mixing, different filters and so on. There is running correspondence on this in HiFi News. Their Andrew Harrison seems generally very sceptical, raising issues such as ultrasonic noise and the sound-degrading filters and other tricks employed to counteract it. And he is not alone.

Then there are readers who write in to say, much like you guys, somthing along the lines of "Well I hear it and it is great; my wife agrees" and they have just bought a Musical Fidelity Trivista or something, and their CD playback is now in a new league, too. The March issue has a rejoiner to such a letter:

Andrew Harrison comments: To clarify my position on SACD, I feel that while some discs and players can give results better than that from CD, I find it difficult to endorse another flawed format that is being peddled with as much mendacity as CD in its early days; especially when, in my experience, the actual results are so hit-or-miss.

I did not bring my back issues from before January, but there was a pioneer from an independent manufacturer with a letter late last year who was clear that he thought that the CD format was enough to record anything that anyone can actually hear, because of this Nyqvist sampling theorem. Vested interest, perhaps, but then there is plenty of that on the other side, for example Linn blows its SACD horn

So, yes, "Let your ears decide". What source to use, though, to make the comparison? I shall have to find a trusted dealer. At least there is a range of good dealers around where I am, now. One has an ex-demo Denon A11 which is universal and highly rated. Perhaps I'll try that. But I already have DVD-A.

Yes, too, Larry. Thanks. "Just listen". "But overall I have found that SACDs give a fuller, richer, more dynamic and "near-natural" sound." That is a strong recommendation, and I know you mean it. But, as I said, if I get a hybrid disc, how can know any difference I hear is in the format alone? I shall even have to go back and check I am not imagining things with two-channel DVD-A. Part of my original impression, very positive, of DVD-A was a result of using the "Ext 5.1" inputs, and I did not realise at the time that it made a difference. And then again, how can one directly compare CD sound with DVD-A sound, everything else being equal?

BTW June Gramophone introduces reviews of downloaded audio, and looks back to March 1983 when the entire issue was given over to the new CD format, despite there being only about 10 discs on sale, mostly dire by today's standards, and certainly no practical improvement over LP at that time.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3596

"Much of the music we enjoy today was originally performed and enjoyed in the round. The modern concert hall stage and 'stereo presentation' is not the only, nor the best way for music to be presented. It is just one that we have grown accustomed to over the last 100 years as technology made the construction of cheap, large-span concert halls possible and widespread.'"

Really? I guess that would depend on what your defintion of "much" and "cheap" is? First, I have heard that Ivor has changed gears somewhat from the early days of Linn and I suppose the picture on the linked article is proof of the fact. Though the photo on the then linked article to Super Audio CD news: http://www.superaudio-cd.com/news/newsitem.php?id=64
is much more the recollection I have of Tiefenbrun.

And, John, right on that site you will find the answer to all your questions:

"Find out everything you want to learn about the Super Audio CD Format!
Start with 'why SA-CD' for the basics, continue with 'SA-CD in Plain English' to get acquinted with the features, and download a complete technical overview at 'Detailed Information'.

Please check our FAQ section in case there are any questions left , or send an inquiry to info@superaudio-cd.com if this doesn't provide you with the information you are looking for."

SO! There!

There you have it; "everything" you want to know!!! And a FAQ if you are still terminally stupid!

"he thought that the CD format was enough to record anything that anyone can actually hear, because of this Nyqvist sampling theorem."

Nyquist Theorem? You're kidding, of course! The Nyquist theorem, presented in pre-digital days of 1928, assumes the representation of a signal. It does not theorize the accurate playback of that signal.

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=nyquist%20theorem

Oh, well, what to do? Some people think LP's still sound the best. Everyone has an opinion and a few other items.

"the Musical Fidelity kW SACD which can be switched between valve and solid-state output"

"you have to choose between three digital filters, one of which gives a "valve-like" sound."

I'm sorry, I thought we were after the sound of music. Does anyone else think this implies the manufacturers have decide there is no such thing as the sound of music and will simply give us "what we want" instead? Though he has to be respected for his engineering efforts in audio, the major contribution Tiefenbrun has long been given credit for has been the marketing of audio. Ridiculous claims of the days before an LP12 appeared aside, Ivor changed the way audio is discussed in terms of selling a product. I think much of what has been put in the last few posts should require a very large shaker of salt (apologies to Mr. Buffet [the singer, not the corporate swine]).

"Correcting for different recordings, mixes, filters, and thinking of stereo only, just to make the comparison: does SACD in itself give better sound that CD?

I know friends here have said "Yes" but I cannot pull a clear statement to that effect out of professional reviews.

On these hybrid SACD/CD discs - is it THE SAME programme material in each case, with any difference in sound quality arising only from the two formats?"

Hybrids can vary from the same mix on both two channel layers to a different mix for both. Sometimes the mix is the old stereo redbook mix along with a new mix for DSD. Occasionally the CD layer will have a new mix from the redbook that has been available. Artistic integrity, you know!

Of course none of that means anything when you really are just interested in whether the disc's sound rates a *, a **, a ***, a ***1/2 and so on.

"It is no good taking a favourite disc into a dealer for a demo if one does not know whether one can make a true comparison, since there is no 'control experiment'."

John, your making this the search for the best subwoofer cable!

"How can a player do anything at all to the "timing" of any part of the audible spectrum? DO other players advance or retard frequencies below some threshold? What does this guy actually MEAN?"

Oh, John, John, John!!! Go back and read on the topic of upsampling, jitter and anything on tubes that has been discussed in the last year. And forget that best sub cable idea; they all sound alike! Have you been talking to Gregory Stern?

What I want explained is this from a review of a Speakers Corner reissue of Lou Reed's "Transformer".

"Speakers Corner LP unloads with a larger soundstage, funkier bass frequencies and improved percussive width."

OK, I can grasp the larger soundstage. But the frequencies, not the notes and playing, are funkier? And what the heck is "percussive width"? Does that have anything at all to do with the sound of music?

Just go listen, John. The shops are reptuable if they have been there for awhile. Let them demonstrate what they feel is the best example of SACD. (Don't tell them you own the Best Speakers in the Known Universe; you'll intimidate them.) If you are not convinced, don't buy anything and come home to read some more confusing reviews.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3597

Larry - Glad your back. Yes, I have a friend who clips coupons and searches out the triple coupon days at the groceries. He constantly asks if I know how much he saved at the store. As if I should have any idea. He is quite the proud parent when he displays the two gallon jug of Miracle Whip he got for $0.35. I keep telling him I've not seen coupons on lettuce and apples.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1813
John A

"But I already have DVD-A."

so

"but I already have a cd player."

Like cd's John, sacd and dvd-a can fluctuate in sound quality (as Larry stated). You only need to read the reviews on highfidelityreview.com to notice sound quality ratings among others. I agree with Larry about the 3910 - personally, if was on the market again I wouldn't go past it for the money - apart from being rated for its excellence in dvd-a, sacd, and cd playback it has many extra benefits and the lfe crossover choices is one to regard highly. There is nothing available that comes near to this offering for the same money (Marantz has some new models that I cannot compare as yet).

Also, getting a two channel sacd player now may be ticketyboo while you are in this funny stereo mode John, but to me it would be like buying a Ferrari with a MG motor. Anyway here a couple of reviews I rate a little better than some if you care to read them.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_1/denon-dvd-3910-dvd-player-1-2005.html

And for this you need Acrobat reader:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5316

Larry,

Glad to hear Mer and yourself are back safe and sound in Swampville from your trip to Campville.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3060
Thanks, guys. I've read the reviews, MR. I shall have to try a Denon 3910.

Guess I'm reading the wrong magazine. Will be back. HFN is obviously for Luddites and conspiracy theorists. Though, if truth be told, I never cared much for the pronouncements of Ivor Tiefenbrun MBE, it all seems like self-serving ballokks. Linn systems seem to be for people who have lots of kash and who krave the envy of their friends with such things as SA-KD. Either that or they are taking the Mikk.

Yes, "upsampling" not "oversampling". Sorry about that.

"I thought we were after the sound of music"

Yes. Well, I am. I am going to listen to some, while trying to ignore the funkiness of the bass frequency percussive width timing. Not to mention the slam and depth of the midrange drive.

Here's to euphony, which I think is Latin for "sounds good to me".

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3061
Jan,

Take a look at the latest post on What does Sony do different?

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1110
Larry,

Welcome back.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1111
John,

You are so close my friend. Settle on a format, then choose the best player for that format you can afford or justify. Add a tube/valve integrated, and I know you will leave this earth a happy man.

Cheers!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1112
I am sad to say that I lost my 45 year old Japanese maple tree this spring. It was truly magnificent, and a thing of beauty. I must cut it down. I will miss seeing it every day. I am truly heartbroken.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1047
Rantz and Rick - thank you - I have mixed feelings about being "back." Key West still has vestiges of the "old" Caribbean I knew and loved too well - and even Mer caught the spirit of the place. I think we shall return the first of December, to celebrate Mer's birthday there - WITHOUT our coupon-clipping friends!!! (GRIN)
And Rick - sorry about your tree - they are a thing of beauty and a family member - I know!

Jan - yep - Mer and I nearly went nutz waiting for the pair to go through magazines and papers, and to clip out insignificant savings. They wasted perhaps a quarter of the day either looking for "a bargain" or trying to decide which place had a lower entrance fee, a free "something" for every person or a "two-for-one" deal of some sort. Aaarrrrrggghhhhhhhh!!!!

The woman even dragged poor Mer 16 blocks across town to get - true - an el-cheapo "free" canvas carry-bag. I just don't get it - and Mer says that's the LAST time Judy will hijack her for stupid "bargains" anywhere!!! (big foot down hard)

Well - I hope John A. gets through all his SACD-angst and settles on a player. You won't be sorry, John - but just don't get sucked into the super-priced models - I truly doubt that you could hear the difference - no insult intended, sir!

More anon. . .

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2424
Someone STOP ME! I now have about 400 LP's! GEEZZZZ!!!

I've spent about $250 to aquire them with most in very good shape and stuff I
want to listen to and with the new table plus different cartridge things are
getting dialed in quite nicely, More to go I believe though.

The test we had setup was well, ok: Last night we had a shootout with what we thought
was an adequit test for both cd and LP. Squeeze the album choosen was singles being
on both LP and cd with having what seemed to be roughly the same recording quailty
and Equalization on both.

After all was said and done neither stood out from the other. To me that was a good thing!

The cd was a tad brighter and the album had a little more bass, very very very close!
Because of these slight differences the voice on the cd was a little more refined but
overall the Lp sounded a little fuller, I believe because of the bass. The cd was a
little cleaner sounding with the LP having the usual "well Lp sound I guess"!
Very very very very slight hiss!

So far I am looking at it this way, I now have another alternative source that
when it's clean and has been recorded well sounds just as good as another main source
I use plus the media is really really cheap! I went to Flip Side records by my house
and found a ton "way more then I'll ever buy" of LP's for either a $1 a piece or even
50 cents so you can grab some that maybe you wouldn't have tried before because
who's going to "try" something let alone many for around $15 a pop or so! Lp's you can.

So while I'm still early in this new venture I'm quite pleased with the result so far.

The clicks and pops to me are very annoying and the EQ difference on some records
is quite large but I've been tweeking my system to where the EQ seems a little better
and with a clean disk the clicks and pops are kept to a minimum. THe brand new disks I
have "bare in mind there audiophile grade 180 gram vinyl" are either completly
quite or extremly low noise and sound absolutly wonderful.

The police and black sabbath are brand new audiophile pressings that kick A$$!

Anyway's I think we can truly enjoy some awsome sounding music from all formats.
To me that's great and I want them all to use on a daily basis, pic my poisin!

See yu all and have a great day!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3063
Kegger,

Sheesh. 400 is more LPs than I have bought in thirty years! You will never listen to all those!

Rick,

Thanks. Good advice. Sorry to hear about the tree. How did you lose it?

Larry, yes, welcome back. I was an early enthusiast (1983) but late adopter (1988) for CD, despite all the razzamatazz. It will be ironical if Ivor and friends manage to get SACD accepted as the de facto 5.1 format.

Just to return to the surround vs stereo discussion. We left The Lord of the Rings set in the other place. Saturday we watched the TV broadcast, nicam stereo, of the Fellowship. Wonderful, atmospheric sound; clear dialogue. Not much missing, except floor-shaking bass. I only missed the surrounds when the ravens flew over the Misty Mountains, scouting on behalf of Saruman, but no big deal. I shall never, ever buy the "Sponsored by" brand of lager. What sacrilege.

BTW Latest Dr Who. Brilliant. Massively entertaining. Really.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3064
Jan,

"Much of the music we enjoy today..." etc. is total garbage and typical Tiefenbrun imho. He cannot really believe that. Also "in the round" is nicked from The Sixteen, I'll bet. The idea of Linn technology bringing the endangered true art of music back to the exclusive ranks of its discerning customers. And through SACD!. Argh. Makes me want to buy an iPod.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1048
Kegger: congrats, old bean, you're catching up to the "old Lar." I once had more than 800 LPs - which some movers made to disappear years ago. Sigh. As I remember, I spent as much time cleaning and de-staticing and tweaking as I ever did listening! (grin)

Have ordered some new discs from Amazon - details on "Discoveries" when (if) they get here next week or so. . .

A good day to all. . .

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2430
Well John and Larry glad to see your both back and I agree 400 LP's is quite a lot
ecspecially in such a short time. But I figured the price was not going to get
much lower and I got great deals when I nabbed them.

I've allready listened to about 100 of them since I got the table. So they do get used.

I now have 2 working tables so the LP's get used in 2 rooms daily!

SEE yu! Good day peoples.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 592
Kegger, I've got the same "problem." I've collected more lps than I have time to listen to them. They're so cheap. Last week, went into a thrift shop and walked out with 34 lps for $11, almost all in near mint shape. Then, there are the classic re-issues that cost $30 a pop, but are worth it for the clean vinyl and sonics. I suspect there's a certain faddish quality to vinyl these days, judging by the hip 20-somethings I run into at record shops.

If you're buying mainly used records, I would recommend getting an automatic record cleaner at some point. It makes life easier and gets rid of a lot of unwanted noise on those old records.

John A., when are you moving your Rega into the new pad?

Larry R., did you win the Hemingway look-alike contest last weekend in Key West?

Happy listening, all!

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2431
2C:

"If you're buying mainly used records, I would recommend getting an automatic record cleaner at some point. It makes life easier and gets rid of a lot of unwanted noise on those old records."

Yep allready got a line on one my friend and hope it comes through as advertised.

I'm with yu on the cheap music, pretty plentiful.

Silver Member

Post Number: 595
Kegger, I'd be interested in the cleaning fluids you use. So far, I've found the RRL Deep Cleaner to be the most effective wash. What kind of RCM are you getting?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3599

Which of these is not like the other two?

1519: Renaissance polymath Leonardo Da Vinci dies, Cloux, France.

1957: Joseph McCarthy, former Commie-hunting senator, dies at 47.

1972: J. Edgar Hoover dies, Washington D.C. Founded FBI and ran it as his private kingdom for over four decades.

Hint: People actually mourned the passing of DaVinci.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2432
2C I don't have an answer to either one of those questions! YET!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3066
2c,

I do not know when I will move the Rega turntable. It spent a year or so in storage before. It may have to do so again. There are compensations here for not having my complete hifi. We all went to Kew gardens today, a public holiday. I noticed a lot of different maples and thought of Rick's Japanese individual. Rick, you would like Kew!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1115
John,

I'm sure I would. I was told my tree died of old age. It was just it's time I quess.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1050
Two Cents: (grin) no, they did not have the H. lookalike contest this week - that comes earlier in the year, in a separate ceremony. Which I may try to attend next year!

2C, John A. - Rick - please see "Discoveries" for my latest passion. Just plain awesome discs! No, not vinyl - though the sound quality comes pretty close!

Respectfully. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 597
John A.,

Of course you're right about spending time away from the hi-fi. Last week, I had a wonderful time with friends from out of town in SF and in Point Reyes (which probably looks just about the same as when you visited). Didn't turn on the hi-fi or home theater system during their entire visit.

Larry "Papa" R., will check out your new "discovery" next.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3067
Thanks, 2c, for that. I should love to return one day.

What I am without, temporarily, is 5.1, my turntable, plus many discs.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3068
1984. An Opera in Two Acts. Music by Lorin Maazel

I will post this on "Discoveries" too.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3070
The "Flash" version is good; "Loading Telescreen...."

Silver Member

Post Number: 600
Rantz,

I owe you an apology regarding the erroneous internet rumor I posted regarding Sony abandoning the SACD format (although I admit part of my intent was to give you a little ribbing). There was an article in the NY Times recently in which the president of Sony music said 100-200 SACD titles are planned for release next year. Many of them reissues. My bad.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1815
Two Cents

Accepted with gratitude and the ribbing is water of this old drakes back LOL! It's not easy seperating fact and fiction from articles on the net, and other mediums for that matter. After purchasing from Acoustic sounds and Amazon I am amazed by the number of new hi-res releases appearing almost daily. My only gripe is with DualDisc - both my Yamaha cd player and my Denon 2900 won't play the cd side (at least on Time Will Tell by Robert Cray), so I believe it is more than "the odd player" that won't be compatible. However, it's good to see many DVD-A's being released with a bonus separate cd version. Things are definitely looking up in the hi-res department imo.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 461

quote:

There was an article in the NY Times recently in which the president of Sony music said 100-200 SACD titles are planned for release next year. Many of them reissues. My bad.

I remember reading some time ago that Floyd's Wish You Were Here and Animials will be released sometime this year.

I just placed an order for 5 SACDs and will update "Rate your disks..." after a few listens. I ordered: Elton John's Honky Chateau and Tumbleweed Connection (two albums I've always liked but never owned); Miles Davis - Relaxin; Marvin Gaye - The Marvin Gaye Collection; Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3076
Sem and other old friends,

Upload

Cream, RAH, London, May 2, 2005.

(Source: The Guardian)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/reviews/story/0,11712,1475325,00.html

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1816
Sem,

Some good choices except Marvin Gaye (my opinion only of course) I actually bought one (sacd) locally (I forget the album name) and returned it pronto - yuck. A bad recording and bad songs except for ...ual Healing LOL!

All,

My latest discovery that arrived in a package today is Poncho Sanchez (Out Of Sight) - an amazing sacd jazz album of percussion prowess with great horns etc etc and guest vocals including the late Ray Charles scracthing out Mary Ann - just fanbl00dytastic!

And Spyro Gyra (Let It Go) another absolutely suberb jazz/soft rock instrumental sacd. Really enjoyed the sacd of blues singer/composer Deitra Farr followed by Brian Ferry's 'Boys and Girls' - more great surround recordings. Will follow up with ratings also after more listening.

Have just ordered the special edition of the Brothers In Arms SACD from Amazon UK and saved $16.00 aud compared to Acoustic sounds which will have it soon as an import. I am about to place another order for a few more hi-res recordings with them and that'll have to do me for a while [grin] otherwise I'll be in the bad books - well, not really. Just have other stuff that needs lot's o' money - like new teeth, re-surface driveway, maintenance (house and body) and the list keeps going. Y'all know how it is but we must prioritise - musn't we?

Rick,

So solly about Japanese Tlee - remember, all things must pass. Who said that?

John,

If Eric, Ginger and Jack had a jam then ran around in circles really quick to make whipped cream then they'd have a topping for their thinning scones and they could all get down and have a few good licks! Don't fret - 'twas worth a try. [grin].

Jan

How's the audio room coming along?

S.M.

Are you okay?

Larry

Isn't it what they chuck out of Key West that makes Key West the best? Have you and Mer come back down to earth after your g-a-y old time down there?

Kegger

I see the tables have turned. Looks like you're having fun anyway - me, I prefer a seafood platter LOL!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3602

Use 28297300 as the password:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/04/arts/music/04crea.html?

Too bad the Guardian sent a reviewer who doesn't like Cream. I awoke the other night to the BBC news broadcast reporting on the Cream reunion. The announcer was laughing at a headline which read something to the idea of "Rock heros of the '60's return in their 60's".

They're all just jealous they don't own a car that can go 150 m.p.h.

Rick - I was under the impression Japanese Maples were more like olive trees and had extended life spans.

The back room has come to a slight halt as relatives have visited and my days have become doing what someone else wants done. This should change soon.

We have not heard any reports on the relatives and friends who had health problems earlier this year. Is everyone doing well?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3604

International - World Asthma Day

1776 - Rhode Island becomes the first American colony to renounce allegiance to King George III.

1886 - Haymarket Square Riot: A bomb is thrown at policemen trying to break up a labor rally in Chicago, United States, killing eight and wounding 60. The police fire into the crowd.

1912: Great parade of women suffragists in New York City.

1919 - May Fourth Movement: Student demonstrations take place in Tiananmen Square in Beijing, China, protesting the Treaty of Versailles, which transferred Chinese territory to Japan

1945 - World War II: Liberation of the Neuengamme concentration camp near Hamburg by the British Army.

1945 - Adolf is still dead.

1970: Four students killed, 15 others wounded when National Guard opens fire on anti-war demonstration at Kent State Univ., Ohio.

1975 - Moe Howard, actor, comedian; member of the Three Stooges dies. (b. 1897)

1979 - Margaret Thatcher becomes the first woman Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

1984 - Bob Clampett, cartoonist, creator of Bugs Bunny (b. 1913)

1989: Thirty thousand students march for democracy to Tiananmen Square, Beijing, China.

1989: Oliver North is convicted in the Iran-Contra Affair.

1993: Dhammayietra, walk for peace, to Phnom Penh, begins, Siem Reap, Kampuchea (Cambodia).

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1817
Jan,

It seems we need more than the password - Id needed also. They should put the Guardian reviewer in the white room.

You could have the relatives help with the room [grin] but if anything like mine they'd probably be a hinderence. Too bad, I bet you want to get it finished. Are you using insulation in walls and ceiling? If so - what kind?

All relatives doing very well, thanks - hope they can make it through the remainder of this year and so on without too many problems. It's all too much of a preview of things to come I'm afraid. Que sera sera!

All,

Just as I suspected. I did the promised comparison test with dvd-a and cd version of 'Shangrila' playing the cd first. Initially I got a bit of a shock - it sounded wonderful - then I played the DVD-A and while the resolution was a little better, the soundstage was the big improvement imo. I noticed similar results with some sacd's and now, I have had my suspicians confirmed: The cd version on some SACD's have been based on the DSD studio master and using what they call Super Bit Mapping (TM) a cd of the highest fidelity possible is produced - another version is called 'Enhanced CD'. I think it would be safe to assume a similar process is followed with the cd versions supplied with DVD-A's or on DualDisc. So the benefits derived from SACD's and some DVD-A's is not only the superb sonics of those but also on the cd layer or supplied cd disc as well. My guess is that these cd's are 24/44.1 res and that this is an excellent direction in music that should please many - including our sceptical friend who will not be voting for Mr Blair tomorrow.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1818
Jan

Re: insulation. Of course I mean "Are you using an acoustic insulation?"

Over our living room, we have a large sloping timber lined ceiling with nothing but a foil insulation beneath a corrugated metal roof. I believe the roof acts like a large speaker as he neighbours behind and above say they often enjoy our music - tactful of them for sure!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1053
To all: Yep, Mer and I are getting back to "normal" (hahahaha) after our g-a-y (what a shame about that word!) old time in K.W. However, we still wear our multi-colored plastic bead necklaces - the ones thrown at, onto, and around us during the Big Parade! Mer says she especially likes it when I parade around wearing only the shimmering necklaces and a pair of knee-length black socks. K-i-n-k-y!!!!! (grin)

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 462

quote:

Mer says she especially likes it when I parade around wearing only the shimmering necklaces and a pair of knee-length black socks. K-i-n-k-y!!!!! (grin)

Larry, for God sakes DO NOT post pictures, please!! Nothing personal mind you, we just wouldn't want to get Kegger posting those pics of himself again.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3609

The house is a bungalow from the 1920's and so has lathed walls and ceiling with plaster over the wooden support structure. As such it is similar to the effect of double wall board in its rigidity and sound absorption. The plaster walls, ceiling and hardwood floors present the biggest challenge as they are all hard, reflective surfaces. Limiting reflections from these surfaces is the most important step to getting even sound. The ceiling is just over 9' in height. Unlike many newer homes I been in the room doesn't have major slap echo problems even when empty of furniture.

The windows to the left all have draperies and storm windows with good seals so there is the extra benefit of not loosing bass response so readily through single paned glass. The next door neighbor is a decent distance away on that side. The house is being remodeled right now; we'll see what the new neighbors are like as far as diplomacy. The full attic above has 10" of insulation so that shouldn't be a problem for sound transmission. The closet to the right has been fashioned from an open area for an old chimney which still occupies most of the remaining space between rooms so the system can barely be heard in the adjacent room. The doors to the closet can be left open to provide more soft surface area if needed.

The speakers will sit 7' into the room and the front wall will have three Native American blankets overlapping in soft folds and suspended a few inches out from the wall. A King size bed will also be behind the speakers and should provide plenty of soft surface area. The Arts and Crafts design of the bed frame provides lots of open space with a "diffusion type" grid at the head of the bed. This should dampen any reflections from the wall surface to a large extent. There is a short soffit that comes down just in front of my listening position that will have a tapestry on its surface. Reflections off the ceiling seem to be minimal at this point. A drury rug with a pad will be between the speakers and my chair.

My listening position will be seven feet out from the rear wall so reflections from that surface should be minimal. Draperies cover about 40% of that surface. I have some panels with dampening material to try in the four corners though the limited bass extension of the 3/5a's has seldom excited too many room problems.

My biggest problem is the placement of the turntable. In the old system set up it was across the room from the speakers. The new room will place it closer to the speakers, so experimentation will have to determine where it will perform best. I've thought of putting it in the closet behind the speakers. Though the space behind my position is separated from the rest of the room physically at floor level. It was an old sun porch that was incorporated into the rest of the room and so it has a foundation beam that separates it from where the speakers will sit. That should go a long way to keeping floor bound vibration from the table. The isolation system I have for the table is rather massive and though it does a good job at isolation it does not move easily.

What I've heard so far is promising and the room should hopefully be finished enough for set up by next week. Of course the Devil is in the details.

I'll try to find the rest of the information on the N.Y. Times link to the Cream concert. I am automatically recognized from my computer so I don't remember the rest of what is required.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2435
Sem I was thinking the same, you beat me to it!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1819
Jan,

Thanks for the detail. It seems your room should work out rather well. We have a brick wall behind the main speakers, the side wall is plaster sheet, the rear wall and ceiling is tongue & groove cypress pine. The other side of the room is for entry and dining and abutts 2 glass sliding doors either side of a wide brick column. With the acute angled ceiling (starting at about 11 ft high) and half the room having the timber floor of our mezzanine bedroom overhead, it makes for a rather complicated area. The strange thing is that the sound does seem rather good but could possibly be much better for all I know. If it was not the living room then all sorts of insulation possibilities could apply. I think we'll just have to rely on neighbour's tact for the time being. Besides we were here first. LOL!

Larry,

If you do post pics please do the politically correct thing - cover up! Good Eric, people go to Key West as normal (cough, cough) human beings and look what happens when they return!

Thursday 5th May.

On this day thirty two years ago I had the extreme good fortune to hear the then Ms Rantz utter those all important two words, "I do!" With all evidence to the contrary, she is really a very smart women. And still she is beautiful. Eat your hearts out!

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2436
Jan well at least your setting up the room from the perspective of good sound to start with.
Many have the misfortune of taking an existing setup and turning that into a listening room.

What you did is what I thought about when I made my room in the basement "music first"

I'm having trouble visioning the bed behind the speakers the rest I can imagine. Camera?
How long and how wide is the room? Would love to see the setup, let alone hear it! I'm
sure whatever you have to do to get it to sound right you will make it happen. I'd be very
interested once you start doing more listening if you have to do anything for this room to
satisfy yourself or just improve it, what you had to do and why. What was not right and are
you now satisfied with the results. Just curious how someone like yourself who can do the
things it takes to make the system sound the way you want it to does it to his/her room.

Later and good jammin old dog!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 463
Congratulations My Rantz!!! Hope the two of you are enjoying this very special day.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1055
My Rantz: Hearty congrats and a special toast to you and Mrs. Rantz - wow, you two are eight years ahead of Mer and me in the marriage time-line. So, what's the secret of your obvious happiness??

And to MR and Sem - no pics (grin) I promise! I don't want the responsibility of Internet illness after such a display! I'll save pics for such things as speakers and flowers. . .

More anon. . .

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3611

An anniversary on Cinco de Mayo! Have a Mexican dinner and celebrate both.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3612

Kegger - Unfortunately the new room does not accommodate the placement of the Spica's. That is very disappointing. They are too large to allow the access needed to the back of the room and require a listening position that is much more distant than the Rogers. The room is just over 21' X 15' X 9' with each dimension not quite evenly divisible by another. As I posted earlier, I assume a great deal of the sound I am hearing so far is attributable to the (rough) division by three that makes the numbers 7 X 5 X 3. Though not the ideal numbers I would have chosen if I was beginning from scratch, they seem to work very well. The Rogers get placed at a height that puts them at 1/3 the room height and all the other dimensions are at 1/3 locations within the room. So the speakers are 7' out, I am listening 7' from the speakers and sitting 7' from the rear wall. The Spicas need about 11-12' as the minimum listening distance in my rooms to integrate the drivers. To place the Angelus in the room I have to turn the speaker and listening position around and that doesn't provide the soundstage I can achieve with the preferred position and the Rogers. Depth shrinks to about 1/2 with the Spicas or the Rogers in the back of the room. So I get unnaturally wide while shallow staging. Bass is not as solid due to that portion of the room being an old porch. The joists are further apart and have no subfloor. I am not looking for a project where I tear out the old floor to make the bass work when the imaging and soundstaging will still suffer.

At best with the Spicas in the back of the room, they just don't come together like they did in the first room where the large double sliding doors gave me 20' of depth behind the speakers and a listening position that was 13' from the plane of the drivers. The Rogers have always been a secondary system that had been used with the Dyna gear and lately (the past ten years) with a thirty year old Citation 12. As with SM's Mac, the 3/5a's seem to have a bit of a smile at the idea of being promoted to main speaker status. They do sound wonderful with the Mac tubes. The Angeli, however, are sulking in the corner awaiting their fate.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3615

Ascension Day in Western Christianity - Jesus in the sky with diamonds

Denmark: Liberation Day (1945)

The Netherlands: May 5, Liberation day (1945)

Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941)

1807 - P. D. Q. Bach, fictitious composer dies. (b. 1742)

1821 - Napoleon Bonaparte, ruler of France (1799-1815) (b. 1769)

1862: Battle of La Puebla marks Mexican Army victory over imperial France.

1865: First train robbery occurs.

1891 - The Music Hall in New York (now known as Carnegie Hall) has its grand opening and first public performance, with Tchaikovsky as the guest conductor.

1925: In Scopes Trial, John T. Scopes is tried for violating a Tennessee law that forbids the teaching of evolution in schools.

1945: Mauthausen concentration camp is liberated.

1960: A government spokesman announces that the plane shot down by the Russians on May 1 was a "weather research plane" and that Francis Gary Powers was a "civilian employed by Lockheed.

1980: Bobby Sands, Irish political prisoner and member of Parliament, dies of hunger strike.

1984 - In Luxembourg, Herreys win the twenty-ninth Eurovision Song Contest for Sweden singing "Diggi-loo, diggi-ley".

1990 - Capital punishment: Jesse Tafero is executed in Florida after three electric chair malfunctions cause flames to shoot from his head.

2000: Conjunction of Sun, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Moon. And we all know what that means.

A momentus day for an anniversary.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3616

Ascension Day is always a Thursday; in some churches (especially in the United States) it is commemorated on the subsequent Sunday (the Sunday before Pentecost). The three days before Ascension Thursday are sometimes referred to as the Rogation days (and the previous Sunday as Rogation Sunday). In some countries (e.g. Scandinavia or Germany) it is a public holiday; Germany also holds its Father's Day on the same date.

Superstitions

According to Welsh superstition, it is unlucky to do any work on Ascension Day.

In Devon, it was an ancient belief that the clouds always formed into the familiar Christian image of a lamb.

If the weather is sunny, the summer will be long and hot; but if it rains, crops will do badly and livestock, especially cattle, will suffer from disease.

Eggs laid on this day will never go bad and will guarantee good luck for a household if placed in the roof.

Rain collected on Ascension Day is said to be good for inflamed or diseased eyes.

Those suffering from goitre should bite into the bark of a peach tree at midnight on Ascension Day, so that the disease passes to the tree and the sufferer is cured.

Gifts to the blind or lame made on this day are sure to be rewarded with great wealth within the following twelve months.

Mexican dinners eaten on this day will assure you a night to remember.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1821
Guys

Thanks so much for your kind words. Yep, each anniverary is a momentus day, but is there a special prize for this one: 05/05/'05 ??

Larry - the secret to lasting happiness in marriage is - learn to count to ten.

That and learning to be intuitive. For example: I asked Mrs Rantz if she would like a new pair of B&W 604 S3's as an anniversay gift. My darling knew just what to say - and I'd never realised that the sun don't shine in our living room. Told you she is smart.

The real secret of course is 'no secrets' - that and knowing your partner is also your very best friend.

Thanks again Larry and Mer.

Jan,

Here, this Sunday is Mother's Day (Oh joy!) and dinner was yesterday - unfortunately no Mexican - we had crumbed chicken (I couldn't spell schieztnel). And if my memory serves me, I think our night to remember comes again up this weekend. [grin]

Burritos for Sunday dinner sounds good to me.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3081
Congratulations, Mr MR. And to Mrs MR.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1057
MR - Well, at my advanced age, it took me a three-count to figger out what your "sunshine" comment really meant. Then, of course, I about fell off my chair laughing! Wish I could rite like that! (triple grin)

More anon. . .

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1116
Congratulations Rantz!

We both know the real secret to a long happy relationship..............administration just won't let us post it on the forum. LOL!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1824
Rick

Thank you kindly - yeah, we know. But, it may not be too long before I need to remember. [grin]

John A

Thanks mate!

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 312
MR,

Congratulations! Keep it up. I mean...

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 313
Happy Mother's Day to the wives, mothers, grandmothers and even daughters who have now become mothers.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3634

And to those fellows who insist on being mothers!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1117
Thank you Jan! LOL!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3645

1429 - Joan of Arc leads a French attack on English bridgeheads on the south side of the Loire River. You go, Girl!!!

1824 - A deaf Beethoven conducts the debut of his Ninth Symphony in Vienna. HUH???

1833 - Johannes Brahms, German composer (d. 1897)
I hope you all sent a card.

1840 - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Russian composer (d. 1893) Likewise, I'm similar.

1945 - World War II: General Alfred Jodl signs unconditional surrender terms at Reims, France, ending Germany's participation in the war. The document will take effect the next day. Yea, us!

1947 - Kraft Television Theater debuts, running for the next 11 years). On a 9" screen. Woo doggies!

1951 - Janis Ian, singer and songwriter. And hasn't had a happy day since.

1952 - The concept for the integrated circuit, the basis for all modern computers, is first published by Geoffrey W.A. Dummer. BOOOOOO!

1968 - Traci Lords, actress. ACTRESS???

1992 - Three employees at a McDonald's Restaurant in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada are brutally murdered and a fourth permanently disabled after a botched robbery. It is the first fast-food murder in Canada. A McBungled.

Russia - Radio Day - See if you can tune in KGB-1.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 464
Old Dogs, check this out,

As I mentioned last week I ordered 5 SACD's, one being Elton John's 'Honky Chateau' - Well, they arrived yesterday, and last night I listened to 'Honky Chateau.' It sounds really nice, no suprise there, as I remember My Rantz had some nice things to say about it a while back.

The suprise came when I popped it in my pc to listen to some background music while doing some work. After inserting the disc, the player auto-started and suddenly I'm listening to Derek and the Dominos - 'Layla, and Other Assorted Love Songs'
It appears the wrong album was burned on the cd layer on my disc. I first thought about sending it back but I really do like both of them. So, in a way I get two for the price of one here. Very strange. Anyone ever hear of this before?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3652

. AN ACT OF GOD!!!!! .

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1118
I have always regarded Mr. Clapton as one of the all time great blues guitarists. We all have our own religious beliefs, but I never bought into the Clapton is God thing. For anyone who is a believer in Clapton is God, I only have one question. Have you never heard Jeff Beck play?

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2437
Or for that matter!

Angus young
Eddie van halen
George thourogood
Jimy Hendrix
Jimi page
Lindsey buckingham
David gilmor
Joe Strummer
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Mark Knopfler
Stevie Vai
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Marty Friedman of Megadeth
Carlos Santana
Randy Rhodes
Alex Lifeson

Figured I'd give yu meggadeath as yu might not know where he's from.
"but should know the rest"

These are obviously "ROCK" gutair players, that is the genre I know.

There may be one or two I missed!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3664

Rick - Of course, I've heard him playing with God. But I haven't even seen anything along the lines of "J.B. is the Archangel".

As to
Angus young
Eddie van halen
George thourogood
Jimy Hendrix
Jimi page
Lindsey buckingham
David gilmor
Joe Strummer
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Mark Knopfler
Stevie Vai
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Marty Friedman of Megadeth
Carlos Santana
Randy Rhodes
Alex Lifeson

I will have to admit to a definite lack of knowledge regarding all but ten of the aforementioned players ability. (I regard this as a bit of a blessing actually.) We do have a cynical review from the Guardian that implies Cream was just a weak response to Mr. Hendrix. But the article would seem to have been written by someone who possibly had not yet been born in time to hear either group live. So take that as you will.

As to the other players mentioned, for this little Catholic kid, the crucifix on the bedroom wall has long ago been replaced with a picture of E.C. with his head bent down over Blackie.

Kegger - Thanks for the reference to Megadeth, it was realy quite unneccessary. And don't worry about the 1 or 2 you missed, we get the point. I'm sure Larry can fill in the blanks.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2438
Jan

"Kegger - Thanks for the reference to Megadeth, it was realy quite unneccessary. And don't worry about the 1 or 2 you missed, we get the point. I'm sure Larry can fill in the blanks. "

That's a good one I'll wait for larry then! LOL

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2439
Hey Jan I just did a count and 10 out of 17 is pretty darn good.

My guess would be Rick,Rantz,Ghia,Sem "might" get more but darn good!

Then we have to wait for Larry and John to chime in on the list

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3665

Well, you have to consider that's the estimation of an Old Dog. Hell, for all I can remember, I may not know any at all!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1119
Jan,

I have seen Jeff Beck play live on two occasions. When he does perform, the who's who of guitarists are always in the audience just shaking their heads. They heard it, they saw him play it, they just don't know how the hell he did it. LOL!

As far as Kegger's list goes, there are a lot of very accomplished guitarists there. One, possibly two are legends, or close to. If I may add to the list, let's mention Buddy Guy in the blues/rock genre.

If we want to broaden the musical horizons, how about Wes Montgomery, Les Paul, Berny Kessel, Al Dimeola. Hell,(sorry Eric)let's go to Segovia or Christopher Parkening.

Yes there are guitarists, and there are GUITARISTS!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3673

But only Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil to get to play the way he did. It is impossible to listen to those recordings and think there is only one person playing. Too bad poison and a spiteful woman brought him down.

P.S. When Clapton did the three day guitar festival in Dallas last summer, he dedicated it to Stevie Ray and had a large S.R.V. banner across the stage. I have a poster on the HT room wall that is advertising the last concert Clapton and Stevie Ray played the night before the helicopter went down. Clapton has said many times there are many players much better than him. And, of course, Robert Johnson is his master.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1120
I remember hearing Robert Johnson for the first time when I was about 13. I had the same reaction as Greg and Duane Allman. It scared the hell out of me, but I then knew what real blues was all about.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3678

I first heard reissues of Johnson's work when I was in my 30's. The original recordings seem to have disappeared for many years. I was never afraid as many people say they are when introduced to his playing. Fascinated, but never afraid. By then I knew the legend of Robert Johnson quite well. That is some wicked stuff. Anyone who thinks they've heard a great guitar player and they have not heard Johnson, doesn't know what guitar playing is all about. Johnson is what most very good rock and blues guitarists aspire to. Clapton's latest efforts to play Johnson have been very disappointing. The DVD for the guitar festival and the Mr. Johnson CD have a few cuts with just Clapton playing. That is what should have happened on the entire disc. Unfortunately, Clapton chose to make productions out of too many of the numbers.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2440
Don't know if anyone else has tried this but I've seen it before and believe Jan
has referred to it in the past on some other thread I believe.

CENTER CHANNEL FROM 2 CHANNEL STEREO AMP!

Taking the - of one channel and the + of the other channel.

I want to try this for a different reason than I believe the normal use of this.
I have a 2 channel system in my work area which consists of an ST70 and a pair
of smallish monitor speakers that don't get the greatest bass. So I was thinking
of adding a bass cabinet under my bench and have it wired to the st70 as a center
channel kinda deal. I have several drivers and cabinets so I'm sure I could find
the driver/cabinet for the job and if I need an attinuator I got one also.
Might have to use a coil on the driver I realize to filter unwanted frequencies.

The speakers I'm running now are 8 ohm and I have an 8 ohm 10" bass driver I was going
to try. I'm wondering in that situation would I want to use the 4 or 8 ohm tap?
Can or should you uever use 2 sets of taps, 8ohm taps for main speakers and 4 ohm taps
for say a 4ohm bass center channel speaker thingy.

I realize this is probably a question for Jan but thought others may want to experiement
with there 2 channel setups, or maybe not. But hey may have some thoughts on it.
If it works could be something MS might want to try, or maybe not.

Like I said not really trying to make a center channel per say just trying to add
some low end to a 2 channel setup and I believe it should work. May work for others also.

Later!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1060
To all: Uh, um, I'm still working on the guitarist list. So far - 0.

More anon. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3099

Chet Atkins. Or do these have to be living? No, that would rule out a bunch of them. Hendrix himself said "If you're dead, you're made for life".

There was supposed to be a graffito "God is dead - Nietsche".

Under which someone had written "Nietsche is dead - God".

Sem,

It was clearly the industry intervening to stop you making an A/B comparison....

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3681

Come on, Larry. Next time Mer's out of the house, pull the Megadeth CD's out from under the bed and CRANK IT UP!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 602
Robert Quine -- the greatest guitarist no one has heard of.

http://www.quine.org/robertquine.html

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 235
No Frank Zappa? No Jerry? No John McLaughlin? No Dwayne Allman (after all, he did the great guitar work in EC's signature song)? No Terry Kath (Jimi did say that Terry was a better guitar player)?

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1123
You are so right Ben. Apologies also to Roy Buchanan, Julian Brean, Johnny Winter and Robert Cray.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us