Onkyo Tx-sr602 weak?

Username: Schipper

LA, CA

Post Number: 1
I recently bought the tx-sr602. When playing music or movie, the voluome needs to go up to 70 (out of 100) to get loud sound.My last reciever was a Sony stereo, and when I got to a third of the max it sounded as load. The onkyo sounds amazing, im really happy from the sound quality. I don't know if that's normal or should I advance to a higher model (the 602 gives 85X7). BTW my im using AR328ps(91db) mains, AR225 center,and AR15 rears. Tell me if it's normal to get the unit working at these high range, and if not I would like to know if the H/K or Denon's give you more power for the 85X7. Thank you

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 942
The Denon and especially the HK will have more conservative power ratings but hey if you're happy with your Onkyo than don't worry about it...I'm sure it is a better receiver than your old Sony.

Going up to 70 is normal on today's AV receivers. The Onkyo should allow you to change the volume display from relative (that's what you have right now) to absolute/objective volume which is easier to compare with other receivers' output.

On the absolute/objective volume you will need to go anywhere between -15db to -25db when watching movies.

A better receiver like an HK will not necessarily be hugely louder, but it will likely sound fuller and more dynamic especially at high volumes and especially for music listening. But like I said, if you are happy with the 602, don't worry about it.

Username: Schipper

LA, CA

Post Number: 2
Yeah, When I chaged it to absolute/objective 70 is about -16db. it goes highest to +11db.
Is that normal?
If I get for exapmle the Onkyo 702, that gives 95X7, it will go higher? or -16db will be loader?
And just to know what do you think about the 602?

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 946
yep that sounds about right.

The 702 will not be much different from the 602 just more electronic bells and whistles and a few extra connections on the back. I highly doubt that the 702 will be "louder" at all, 10wpc is meaningless and those power ratings are typically very inflated anyhow. Only a handful of manufacturers post realistic RMS numbers and Onkyo (along with Yamaha and Sony) is not one of them.

My first foray into audio I bought an Onkyo 601, returned it after about 2 weeks in favor of a Marantz 5400. I liked the cosmetics of the 601 and how user-friendly it was, but the music performance to me was very lackluster.

However I saw the biggest improvement when I added some vintage NAD separates, that was a colossal night and day difference.

Still, if you are mainly an HT user you probably will not be as picky and the 602 should be fine for that application.

Username: Joose

Post Number: 2
Omer, i just returned my 602 partly because of what you're experiencing. I was happy with my 501 but wanted to upgrade so I thought the 602 was a good choice. Not only was the 602 not any more powerful even though I supposedly gained 20w per channel, it sounded more distorted at the upper end. I'm going with a Denon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us