NAD 753 AMP fried? Help!

Username: Joetflynn

Post Number: 1
Help! I was listening to music rather loudly and suddenly the NAD753 (brand new) amp shut off. Will not turn on, either. Is it possible that it over-heated or couldn't get enough ventilation since my DVD player is seated on top of it? Now what do I do?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4120

Unplug the amp from the AC receptacle and wait about 30 minutes before plugging it back in. If this doesn't solve the problem, you will probably have to find a NAD service center. Unless you are certain you know how to access any fuses inside the amp, you shouldn't attempt this operation. Any further damage you do will not be covered by the NAD warranty. Contact the shop where you bought the amplifier.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan, Did what you said and it came back on, guess I have to watch the volume. Had me scared for a minute there. Any way to know when I'm pushing the amp to it's limits for a non-techie?

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 153
Take that DVD player off the top of your amp or you will be sorry. Make sure your audio cabinet is not closed. Ventilation is important.

Post Number: 3
Thanks, Danman and already done. I didn't realize. In fact, the installers put it that way. I was actually thinking of opening up the back and possible putting a quiet fan there to help out. Just how much ventilation is needed and what will happen if it doesn't get enough? Will the amp once again protect itself by shutting down or can something worse happen, like an expensive fix? Curious, didn't seem to matter to the installers, now all of a sudden it's quite important to me!

Post Number: 4
The saga continues....Now I find that the satellite doesn't operate. I get sound from the music channel I had it on before the map shut down, but I cannot get guide or operate any satellite function on the remote. Time to check the manual or call 'em up. probably something simple, I just don't know, frustrated...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4130

If you keep the volume within sensible limits, there is probably no need to do anything more than move the player. Depending on the type of music you listen to the most basic answer to your question of limts would be - when you hear distortion; turn it down. Since a lot of the music people listen to has a fair amount of distortion in the recording a better way is to listen for clipping of the amplifier. As you advance the volume upwards, the loudness of the system also increases. To a point. The point at which you turn up the volume and the loudness no longer increases in similar fashion is already into severe clipping. The signal will begin to compress high and low dynamic passages (yeah, I know that happens in the music too) and if you do not lower the volume the amp will go into protect mode. If you continue to clip the amplifier, you risk damaging your system.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 155
Just how loud were you listening?????

Make sure there is a free flow of air. All good audio stands have open backs. I built my own out of wood but I build furniture so it is not a problem. Buy something made for audio to be safe.

Post Number: 5
I was outside and turned it up on the far-reaching remote, I could hear it at the other end of the yard (wifee wasn't home!) while
I was laying some pavers! Here I thought I bought this rather pricey system... let's see what it can do and what a nice day for some loud rock n' roll, then thought I messed it up. Now I'm trying to figure out what I did to the satellite (can't use satellite function on remote (batteries are good), and to learn what I can and can't do.
I will take your advice on the ventilation, the 753 does put out some heat, more than others I have had. Thanks, Danman!

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 158
Sounds like you are having a bad day for your electronic equipment.

Post Number: 6
Yes it was a bad day for electronics. Pulled it all out and found a couple of disconnections. It works much better when they are connected! Thanks for all of your help, Danman and Jan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us