Speaker Advice

Anonymous

Hello folks. I need your help today. I absolutely must buy a pair of speakers within 1 week of today. I have a budget of $40,000. I have no time to audition speakers because I am a business executive and time is not a commodity I have. What should I buy?????

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 54
GMA Continuum!!!

Listen to the praise from the GMA website!!!

"The Continuum 3 is a bona fide all-out assault at the time coherent state-of-the-art. It rewrites expectations and makes it to the final piazza. Mission Accomplished. This is one bl*ody impressive loudspeaker. Shouldn't GMA really stand for Grand Master Acoustics?" Srajan Ebaen, Publisher. 6moons.com November 2004 Visit 6moons.com to read the full review, archived under Audio Reviews. Contiunuums

"They're fabulous, and I mean right at the very top of the best speakers out there. These speakers have what it takes: Pinpoint imaging, dynamics, total coherence, and beautiful tone, all around. They're in total control of dynamic changes and are suitable for all types of music. There's no way anyone would be disappointed by their sound." Continuums "Roy Johnson is one of the brightest and technically-sound speaker designers out there. I talked to a guy in New York who's extensively tested an impressive list of speakers across a broad pricing spectrum. He said, without hesitation, that the Continuum 3s were significantly better than anything he's heard." Continuums "I just heard them at a friend's house who is a true audiophile, and they were amazing. If you can pretend that they're $30,000 a pair, that about captures the level of sound quality I heard." Continuums

And there is tons more!!!!

BTW, if you visit the GMA website, check the hilarious picture of Roy Johnson resting while a Continuum 3 enjoys the vistas offered by Garden of the Gods Park.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 57
Anonymous - I don't mean to be rude, but, assuming you're for real, as a business executive you need to have a better grasp on the concept of time management. The whole idea of your asking a bunch of strangers to advise you how to spend $40,000 on something which you apparently know little about is bizarre. You're going to get varying opinions on what to buy; then what? Whose advice do you follow?

Trust me, this is not a wise way to spend your money. And as a business executive, time is a commodity which you should be able to afford. You need to either take the time to educate yourself on audio or hire a professional audio installer to give you personal advice.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 514
(A reply from a fake to a question from a fake. I love it!)

That's a good option Maui, but don't you think he'd be better off buying anything from Bose? Just go to your local Bose store and cut them a cheque for 40K$ and they'll take good care of you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
The 901's are excellent speakers; I'll give you that Peter. Right up there with the Continuum really, but I slightly prefer the GMA for its tonal balance.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 601
One of the few times that I agree with Jimvm. Original poster obviously has more money than he does sense.

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
For $40 grand, you might be able to find a couple of guys in a white van selling speakers. They've got the best speakers that money can buy! Just look at their brochures! They use them in theaters, recording studios, just about anywhere there is need for a no compromise speaker capible of reproducing the most delicate of all delicate sounds. They will usually have a few left over from an install they just did, and don't want to give them back to the boss, so you can haggle a little with them, but their stuff is definately top notch!!!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 517
Oh come on guys. Just some kid trying to bait us into making up his dream list, or have fun at our expense.

Remember the guy from last year who wanted "normal" advice for his "bedroom" system, but wanted advice to spend 100K$ in his "real" system? I never took him seriously, but a lot of forum members did (or at least pretended to very well).

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
Don't expose us who are giving it back, you're gonna ruin our fun

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Go NADMAN!!!

Username: Cousin_it

Post Number: 2
"I have a budget of $40,000..." Get yourself a pair of Paradigm Signature S8s for about $6000, and spend the remaining $34,000 on cables - never skimp on cables.

The Business Exec
Unregistered guest
Thank you all for your "considerate" responses. I understand the skepticism over my post, but I assure you it is geniune. I had previously sent one of my secretaries to audition speakers for me, but she came back recommending the Bose Lifestyle 48 system. This was simply not acceptable. I need something that not just any average Joe off the street can afford. I need something that will make a statement. As a result, I have come here to see what other "upper class" people would suggest. Unfortunately, it appears that none of you are up to the task. I suppose I can hire a few homeless people to go out and audition speakers for me. Fortunately they are pretty cheap, needing only a bottle or two of whiskey apiece.

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
That's what I'm talking about. Can I work for you? I'll audition everything out there for some Guinness and Southern Comfort, but in the end will come back with those "White Van Speakers" as nothing even comes close. I really wish I could be you and afford great gear... I can see it now... Dogg Digital speakers all around... Theater Research in my bathroom... Acoustic Design in the bedroom (because they're soooo sexy), and don't even get me started about the dedicated listening room... you need to hire me for that one... Like I said, some Guinness and SoCo... I'll even shower before hand so that they can take me seriously... A fine executive like you needs an assistant with a little class and sophistication... Would Puff Daddy (or whatever he calls himself these days) have a poorly appointed assistant representing him? Absolutely not... So why should you?... It would reflect very poorly on you... Anything less would be uncivilized...
Damn I wish I could be you...

The Secretary
Unregistered guest
Listen boss, I still think the Bose system system sounded nice. It's just like the one that I have at home. You know, you've seen it.

I'm_deaf
Unregistered guest
Is the Bose time coherent?

You're_deaf
Unregistered guest
No they are not, it's better when the waveform is screwed up by higher order filters. Paradigm. Nice complicated xovers that add noise and ringing to the sound. b&w. Overly hyped frequencies add to the experience. Paradigm. Uninvolving. b&w.

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
Secretary - He probably didn't hear it over your moaning... Then again they are pretty loud

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 81
Business Exec - If you have 40 big ones to spend on speakers, don't waste your time asking advice of us. Most of us are just killing time posting around here and laughing out loud at some of the idiotic threads some people come up with. My advice is what it always is: listen for yourself. 40 grand is still 40 grand no matter how much you make a year, put some effort into spending it...

...or send it my way, I know where I would spend it...

mmm...B&W nautilus....

:-)

The Business Exec
Unregistered guest
I have finally decided on some Sonus Faber speakers, but I would like to know what kind of leather conditioner you gentlemen would suggest for keeping these fine speakers in peak condition aesthetically.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 473
You're kidding right!

The Barnacle
Unregistered guest
Sonus Faber are fine Italian speakers. Send your secretary to the Ferrari dealer and get their leather oil. Now as you likely know they don't want to sell this stuff to anybody but Ferrari owners. So, she'll need a few extra C-notes to grease the wheels with the service guys. If she is really hot that will help as that is what the service guys are used to from Ferrari owners.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 530
ROTFLMAO...!

Username: Goatboy

Pickering, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
Buy a pair of PSB T8's for 11K, & I agree with cousin it... never skimp on cables
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us