Help choosing a CD or SACD plater

Anonymous

Hi,

I am looking for some suggestions on a CD or SACD player. I have an old Sony cd player that is on its way out, so its time to go shopping!!!My budget is about $600. My music collection is all CD. My system is simple 2-channel listening.

My first question is: will a SACD player give me higher quality playback than a dedicated CD player?

The second question is, of course, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 78
Do you plan to buy SACD's? Do you have a separate DVD player and/or do not want a DVD player?

I think these days you will will find better buys on a good all around DVD/CD players with or without SACD.

Anonymous

Stof,

I have a very basic dvd player but it is not part of my music system.

At the moment, I do not own any SACDs so my main interest is getting a good quality component to play the music I already own.

My question about whether to by SACD or CD has more to do with the quality of playback on standard CD more than my interest in upgrading to SACD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
As far as SACD goes you may get different opinions here, but my general understanding is that though they are really great quality audio, they may become the next Betamax and go out of the market. There is more DVD Audio coming out with as good a performance and it may have a longer staying power.

I would look into a universal player which can play all kinds of CD and DVD formats. Depending on what your amp can handle I would get a player with digital Audio output. Stay away from Sony as in my view they have really gone down in terms of quality. Depending on your budget you may want to look at Denon 1910, 2910, Marantz 6200 or NAD.

As a word of caution if you end up buying a DVD player make sure you don't spend a lot of money on it yet because the new high defintion DVD (Blue Ray) formats are coming out and these older models will become obsolete

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1932
Stof,

With all due respect, there is a much broader range of SACD's (now over 3000) with about 70 new titles appearing monthly. Check acousticsounds.com and compare catalogues. I'm a big fan of both hi-re formats except for the new DualDisc that features DVD-A also - the pseudo cd layer is problematic on many players because of the dofferent disc thickness.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 154
SACD seems to be doing just fine from what I've seen. Of course, I'm right in the demographic that they seem to be getting released for: Jazz. It seems the Jazz community has embraced the format more than poular music (rock, rap, etc.). One of my local Tower stores is about 30% SACD/DVD-A.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 631
Both SACD and DVD-A are dead as new pop market formats. Even Sony has thrown in the towel on SACD. However both formats will survive as audiophile software and new titles will continue to be released indefinately. If you own any of this software you understand why. It sounds fantastic! I have a universal player (as well as a dedicated CD player) and am glad that I do. Marantz and Denon both make good inexpensive universals. I own the Denon DVD2910 and it is awesome though I still prefer my NAD C542 for redbook CD playback. I am selling my Marantz DV6400 universal if anyone is interested just email me.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1938
"Even Sony has thrown in the towel on SACD."

There it is again. How the rumours keep spreading. The head of Sony US was quoted recently in the N.Y Times as saying Sony is standing behind SACD and promised between 100 - 200 new releases in the next 12 mths alone.

Sony/BMG is moving on the DualDisc format even though Sony continues to put out warnings against using them in their players.

IMO both SACD and DVD-A are not aimed at the "Download" generation, but more at the "Baby Boomers" a market where affordability and quality sound appreciation is more prevalent.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 637
It's not a rumor. If you read as much as I do on this subject you would know better. Know one likes SACD and DVD-A better than I do but the truth is the truth. The next format is the music/movie server capable of whatever resolution you can afford. It will sit in your cabinet right next to your CD player under your turntable. Personally I'm a dinosaur and don't exactly welcome it but "whatever will be, wiil be". BTW, Sony will stand behind the technology but they no longer have any hope that SACD will be a mass market format. Independent classical labels like Naxos and Chandos will release more new titles in the next 12 mos than Sony will of what was going to be their next great format. Anyone who knows the state of the classical recording industry knows that ain't saying very much for Sony and SACD.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1943
I did err as I misread your post. You said, "pop market formats" which I missed, so in that regard I agree with you. Whether or not Sony stands behind SACD or not doesn't really matter anyway as there are so many other labels taking strongly to the format. Thank goodness.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 644
I agree my friend from down under. I remember the first time I heard SACD I was stunned. I believe it was the Tilson Thomas Mahler 6th, the first crescendo left me with my mouth open and my eyes the size of Kennedy half dollars. There are plenty of great labels who will carry this format foward just as they have vinyl. Long live great sound!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
I knew there would be disagreements on this topic, but going back to the original question from annonymous my opinion would still be for him/her not to spend the extra money to get an SACD player at this point, but buy a cheaper one for in-between period and then when the new hi-def/Blue Ray DVD's come to the market, buy a universal one that supports all format.

Can I get a halleluiah from the congregation?

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 156
I'd say that's a pretty good way to go right now. If I didn't already have a player, I'd be reluctant to drop a lot of money with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD so close to hitting the market.

As for SACD, as I mentioned it seems the classical and jazz labels have embraced it where the popular music labels really haven't. I have a suspicion that's because the jazz/classical can get more out of it. Loud electric is loud electric, there's a lot of nuance in acoustic that can benefit from the hi-res format. I know I will keep buying Jazz SACDs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us