Should speakers be powered?

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 177
I think that they should start making more powered speakers rather than passive.. alot of powered subwoofers are taking over the home audio world, i think they might as well go full-force. I think that people would have an easier time reviewing them aswell, also having an integrated amplifier in the speaker would allow the company to show the world how they want the speaker to be heard. I have seen DJ speakers that are self-powered.. however i don't know exactly how they sound. What do you guys think? How would you feel if your athena f2's.. or martin logan's, or CV's *looks at Paul* were self-powered?

Anonymous

There are many people that do indeed believe that this is ideal. The B&0 Beolabs 5 (among others) has several thousand watts of internal amplification. It is expensive however.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 326
It's not a bad idea, however, most speaker buyers have some type of amplification so the manufacturer would have to target a very small market segment, and the price of active speakers would shrink it even further. Putting that aside, an active speaker system with active crossovers would be nearly ideal, IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 542
By powered speaker do you mean that the tweeters and drivers are run by an amp and it contains a powered sub?

Such as the Polk Lsi25s.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/specs.php?category=25&speaker=164

or speakers that contain amplifiers for everything?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us