Sub 1000$ HTS for Smaller room

Unregistered guest
Hi, I am looking into purchasing an HTS for my apartment and was wondering what a good choice was. It can be home theatre in a box or combination of speakers/reciever, just needing some ideas. I am looking for small size and good sound quality, (great sound quality if possible, I find myself falling into the audiophile category... :o\). System will be used for dvds and music, possibly sacd.

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 211
HSU research makes a good sub/sat system called the Ventriloquist which does pretty well, and costs 739. For the receiver I would look at something like a Pioneer VSX515 from jandr.com for $200. Alternative systems are available by Energy, Klipsch, Cambridge Soundworks, Onkyo etc.

cody lee
Unregistered guest
thank you stealth, I have been looking at that pioneer receiver along with some of the mid range yamaha recievers at the local best buy, i dare not ask them for their advice...any good 5.1, 6.1 speaker package suggestions?? advice on the yamaha receiver?

Silver Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 212
Yamaha receivers are pretty good from what I've heard although I can't claim to have used any. Other 5.1 speaker suggestions that should be pretty easy to obtain are the Klipsch Quintet II system, the Energy Act6, and the Athena Micra 6.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 497
cody,

what's your maximum budget?

If it's under $1000 and you are planning to listen to music at least 50% of the time, you may be better off investing in a receiver, some really good L/R speakers and a subwoofer right now, then add the center channel and surrounds later when you have more cash.

Great 2.1 sound crushes mediocre 5.1 easily, IMHO.

Unregistered guest
thanks edster... i think 1000$ was kind of wishful thinking actually...more like sub 700$ but i could make exceptions for good deals. I might just take your advice and invest in receiver, and some good L/R speakers. but i think i would go nuts without having back surround speakers for movies. one of the reasons i want to buy a system is i heard a friends, and fell in love with the "cocktail party effect" or like when a fly is flying around the room, and you hear it circle behind you, and you catch yourself looking back to make sure its not really there. it will probably be used for more xbox and dvds, but i'm a huge trans siberian orchestra fan (sort of classical music) and would love to hear them on a crystal clear system. would appreciate any more suggestions on receiver, speaker packages, or all in ones. remember this is just for a living room in an apartment right now...but don't want to settle for a bad all in one 199$ package from walmart.

Silver Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 213
If it is sub-700 and you definately want surround, my money would be on the Athena Micra 6 with a Pioneer or comparable receiver. Onkyo also has a few HTIB systems you might want to check out on their website, as does Cambridge Soundworks, and of course Fluance is a great online cheapie.

However, if you go with a good pair of mains, possibly a sub, and a receiver, a whole world of goodies opens up to you.

Jacky
Unregistered guest
Orb Audio is perfect for you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
well I wouldn't spend more than $100/pair for surround speakers unless you do a lot of SACD/DVD-A surround music.

The Athena Micra system is not bad for the money, it's the included subwoofer that I'd be concerned about it.

$700 is tough.

For the receiver, look at Harman Direct on eBay, you can get a decent HK130/135 for around $200 with full original warranty.

The best budget sub (under $300) is supposed to be the Dayton 10" at partsexpress.com for about $140 shipped.

Then get 5 Fluance SV-6 bookshelves, should run just a little over $250 from fluance.com

Unregistered guest
So I've narrowed it down to a Yamaha, Pioneer, or Harmon Kardon receiever, those are all pretty good, right? I have found all for under 300$. Is there really a difference between them? I mean if they are all 5.1 surround, and all support dolby, thx, etc....and are all 100/watts per channel, is it just personal preference after that?? So hard to pick between them... Also I haven't figured out what I am going to do about speakers yet. :o( Size is a big factor, i need small speakers. I mean BOSE are the perfect size, but I won't even start on their horrible sound quality, and don't want to cause an uproar. I like the Orbs, but they are a bit pricey for me. Any more suggestions will be well appreciated. And thanks to those who have responded, tryin to help me out.

Bronze Member
Username: Vgtvidz

Post Number: 48
Go with Harman Kardon, it fits perfectly with most speakers... I'd get the AVR235 (around 330$ on the internet or cheaper if refurbished), that's what I'm planning to get AVR235 and AVR335, I'm switching my Yamaha for HK.

cody lee
Unregistered guest
didn't like your yamaha vgt vidz?? if not, what model did you have?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
I have the Yamaha RVX-350, the thing is, it doesnt fit with my Klipsch, that model was the low-end model that was released last year, I'm pretty sure it can fit well with Paradigm and some other brands like that but with Klipsch, it's horrible. It keeps chocking because the speakers are asking too much from the receiver. I think the new model is the RVX-357, looks pretty much the same imo (although it now supports 8ohm). if you're from the USA, I'd go with HK for sure since they're cheap over there

cody lee
Unregistered guest
what do you mean by "fit"...like doesn't sound good together? So I went up to best buy today and tried to listen to some speakers...the Athena Technologies - Micra 6, sounded good, as did the JBL 6.1 w/100W Sub...there is also a sub 400$ klipsch package, didnt get to listen to it but have heard good things about klipsch as a brand. hmm...anyone own any of these packages that can give me some advice or anything...thanks

Jacky
Unregistered guest
If the Orbs are too pricey, just start w/ the left/right and sub for now. The reason I recommended them was both the size/performance, but also the fact that they are upgradeable so you can start w/ a budget system and end up w/ the top of the line some day. I also recommended them b/c you said you'd be doing music on the system also, and they are by far the best small speakers I've ever heard for music. Start w/ one of their $500-600 stereo systems and upgrade to surround sound over time. They let you "grow" into your system and you can add speakers at the same package price you got when you first bought them. Either way, if you are on a budget, check out the other online companies, too. The direct sales companies are the best bang for your buck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Cody, Klipsch is on the bright side because of their "horns" and Yamaha tends to be a little bright which means that the music is wayyy to "clear", when you play it loud, it's hard for your ears, hehe... Anyway, I think HK would fit any kind of speakers because the sound is more neutral.

Unregistered guest
thanks jacky, i am seriously considering the orb mod1 package with the l/r and sub. I don't think i've read a bad review about them. once again though, even the 3 peice is pricey at 519$. Maybe I can find em ebay? doubt it. :o( I am still open to suggestions though people. This will be it for my home audio until I move in a few years...so i want a system i can live with for a while. I think i am really just wanting small speakers that i can virtually hide in my living room, and can fill the whole living area with crystal clear, spacious surround sound, and so far the orbs sound like the front runners.

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
cody,

If you can live with their slightly bigger size, look into getting the Ascend CBM-170s across the front, 3 of them will run you $516 shipped from ascendacoustics.com --- do a Google search, these are possibly the best reviewed Internet-direct speakers out there and have been favorably compared to speakers 3 times their price.

They're not as small, sleek and hideable as the Orbs but I'd have a hard time believing that the Orbs could surpass them in sound. They are wall-mountable though.

Or go to the avsforum.com and do a search for "ascend" in the speakers forum.

Unregistered guest
ok so anyone have an opinion on denon products? this home theatre package looks like a great deal and includes denon's highly regarded progressive scan dvd/sacd player. anyones opinion on the product would be appreciated as i cannot go and listen to the system myself. here is the url to the package:
http://www.drprojector.com/dr/cartid74-EVEREST-70245KTVIF160/ic-DHT483DVD/itemde sc.html

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
Actually, Cody, the DVD player in that system is not an SACD player and is not one of the highly rated ones. I'm sure it's a decent prog. scan DVD player, but the highly regarded models are the DVD-2200/2900/2910/3910. The 2910 and 3910 are the current models, and either one costs more than the sale price of that entire system.

Unregistered guest
oops, your right ziggyzoggy(manshow fan?), i was assuming it was the 2910 for some reason, i have read good things about denons dvd players (2910/3910). thanks for your post. i am also considering a dvd player for this home theatre setup but i think my xbox will have to do for now. still looking at speakers, going over to circuit city after i get off work today! any more suggestions??

Silver Member

Post Number: 523
Circuit City is one of the absolute worst places to shop speakers: crappy selection, clueless salespeople, poor listening conditions/setup, and the few decent speakers they do sell (Infinity Beta 20s & 50s) are hideously overpriced compared to how much they go for online even from places like crutchfield.com

Unregistered guest
haha...ended up goin over to ultimate electronics, instead of circuit city. Ultimate has a home theatre room set up, but still not many choices to choose from. kind of frustrating actually..running out of places to go look for home theatre equipment. All i can think of thats left is this privately owned home theatre store, and i remember going in there a while back and the prices making my jaw drop in awe. :o(

Silver Member

Post Number: 526
use the HT store to figure out the kind of sound you like, then research & order online, esp. Internet-direct, to keep your budget sane.

Unregistered guest
So I'm coming to a descision. I think I am going to order a harmon kardon receiver direct from hkdirect on ebay...and I like the sound of the JBL SCS136SI 6.1 system that I heard at Best Buy, anyone have any opinions on the choices??

Silver Member

Post Number: 569
cody,

well if you like that JBL system at Best Buy I'm sure you can find it a lot cheaper online, plus no local sales tax.

These are two useful search engines:

pricegrabber.com
froogle.com

Unregistered guest
thank you edster, you have been extremely helpful. I'm set on the receiver (hk) but am still looking at speaker sets, looking at some polks and some klipsch, ah so many choices!

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
If you have to buy a speaker set, try to get one without a sub and buy the sub directly from Hsu or SVS. Subs that come with speakers are usually horrendous.

Username: Caesar4831

Post Number: 5
I really liked the sound of the H/K. I won two auctions from Ebay through Harmon Direct last week. Got the H/K AVR235 refurb for $275 and an Infinity Primus140 5.1 HT system with sub for $270. Looking forward to receiving both next week. I realize the Infinity system might be a little small, but wanted to stay under $700 in total to begin with. (Wife doesn't want anything too overpowering in the family room right now, once I get something in there can upgrade later). Will probably upgrade the speaker package next year. I like the full warranty from H/K & Infinity to go with the refurbs.

Would a set of Paradigm Monitor 5's v.2 floor standing up front and Mini-Monitors v.2 in the rear be too strong for the 235? Have a chance to get that instead.

Thanks,
Caesar4831

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 544
Frank, that's what the volume control is for. I am not trying to be a smart a#s but your speakers are only as loud as you want them to be. IMO the Paradigm speaker setup would sound better. Just keep the volume down until your wife is not in the house. Good luck.

Post Number: 6
Art,
The volume isn't the problem. She has a slight OCD problem and likes things to be ordered. Thinks floorstanding speakers are 'too much'. Hoping that after a few months of bookshelf speakers on stands, a switch to floors won't make much of a difference. Still taking up the same amount of floor space.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 546
The Paradigm will be better sounding than the Infinity Primus. Good luck getting it in the door to stay. When you said "too strong" I had no idea you were taliking about size or looks. Again good luck and I hope what you get pleases both of you.

Unregistered guest
frank, let me know how the harmon kardon/infinity package works out for you, as I am looking at both on ebay right now. thanks.

Post Number: 8
Cody,
Just got confirmation from HarmanAudio my shipment left this morning and will be delivered on Monday the 6th. Was hoping to have by Friday and set up this weekend. Will let you know how everything sounds next week.
Frank

Unregistered guest
awesome, thanks frank.

Post Number: 9
Cody Lee,
Just received my speaker package today. Broke open the box to take a look, was specifically ordering for the cherry speaker and didn't know if that is what I would receive. They were the cherry speakers, look a little more orange than cherry maybe that is why they are on ebay? Anyway they feel very solid and heavy for such small speakers. Looking forward to setting up with the receiver I got yesterday. Picked up some 16 gauge wire from Radioshack and was going to get bananna plugs but after looking at the binding posts there are caps on the top. Didn't check yet if they come off so didn't pick up bananna plugs yet.

Will let you know how it sounds tomorrow.

Frank

Post Number: 10
Cody Lee,
After getting the Infinity Primus HCS system from HarmanAudio last night I finally figured out why I couldn't find much info about it. It is sold only as an international system (except when on ebay from HarmanAudio). Not listed as using the Primus 140 speakers. They are specially marked as Infinity HCS satellites, center & sub. I am attaching the Infinity website to this post. The satellites are quite solid and look great. Hope this helps in your decision.

http://international.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/products/category/primushcs_s eries.asp?language=ENGLISH.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us