Pre-amp from amp

Username: Dewey

Post Number: 1
Hi--I have an old Technics stereo integrated amp. The amp itself has blown, but the pre-amp section still works fine. I'd like to remove and keep the pre-amp, but I'm not sure what equipment is vital and what is not. Can anybody offer any ideas?
Thanks
Dewey

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4024

What do you mean "remove and keep the pre amp"?

Post Number: 2
Let me try and explain this better. I have a Magnavox console stereo. The changer has a magnetic cartridge, but the amp is rated for a ceramic. I'm using the old Technics amp as an external pre-amp, but as is, the Technics amp is too big to mount inside the console. So I'd like to remove just the necessary componets from the Technics amp, instead of using the entire thing, and mount those in the console. Is this possible?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4026

Not really. The way most integrated amps are constructed there is no easy way to separate the two sections. The pre amp still depends on the power supply which takes up quite a bit of the space in an integrated so you would more than likely end up with pretty much the same sized box to mount the pre amp into. You can look around for a separate pre amp and use it. The used market has pre amps as good as your Technics for $50 and up. That would make more sense than trying to separate the two sections of what you now own.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jan, I appreciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 625
They don't have very good sound anyway - take this opportunity to get something that really sounds good - like onkyo TX-LR552 for instance - only $200 on the web. Sounds smooth like an upscale piece - it will be a big improvement for not much money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us