A few SR8400 setup questions

patnshan
Unregistered guest
Hi Guys,

I fianlly set my SR8400 up last night and read the manual. I have 3
problems/questions.

1. I have the surround set to auto detect, but it does not seem to do it.
The example I used was a Harry Potter DVD. It works fine when set manually
to PLII or whatever. Why is this?
What am I doing wrong?

2. I hooked up a digital coax cable from my PRISMIQ media player to input
#5. I would like to call it Aux 1 or similar, but that is not an option under the on
screen menu. Do I have to call it something else?

3. The display on the right side of the unit's screen displays 2 speakers,
the front left and front right, but I have a 5.1 config and all are
connected and work. Why is that?

Otherwise, it sounds pretty smooth and I don't even have it calibrated right. My friend is bringing over his laptop with a bunch of microphones and spectrum analyzer to help me set it up.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Pat

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 117
did you enable each set of speakers from the setup menu? I didn't see any auto detect in the setup screen. Are you referring to the auto on the remote? Because that only changes what DSP mode it works in.

I'm not sure what input #5 is, but you can not change the display on the unit from showing anything except what it is. You can change the remote however. Aux1 is an audio only input. I had the frustration of having to connect my Comcast cable box to the DSS input which is audio and video but having to switch to Aux1 to actually control the box with the remote. You cann't switch the DSS on the remote to control the cable box, at least not automatically. It is bewildering that there is no input for cable boxes.

patnshan
Unregistered guest
Hi Stof,
Yes each of the speakers in enabled from the setup menu. They all work too, when I manually pick a surround mode. When I pick the auto detect surround mode, it does not detect it.

The #5 is the second digital coax input, after the three optical. I was under the impression I could label that? If not, how do I know which mode to pick to play the media player through the amp?

I know these are prob stupid questions, but I am going from a 15 year old yami pro-logic.
Thanks for the patience,
Pat

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
If the speakers are working otherwise, I'm not sure about the auto detect then. I have found that whatever it does, it is the best of the surround modes. Rarely I switch it to other modes.

As part of the menu setup you can switch the Aux1 input to digital coax 2. I'm not sure how to describe where it is. If you read the manual very carefully it will point it for you. I think it was under the 7.1 configuration (I'm not sure though)

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
I was wrong. It's actually in the first screen called 1. Input Setup. You can assign Aux1 to D2-AT. Look in page 18 of the manual.

patnshan
Unregistered guest
Thanks, I will try that assignment for the prismiq.
I still need to read more about why the amp won't sense what type of surround encoding is on the disc and then switch it automatically. It is supposed to do that.

Pat

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1981
Patnshan

The auto setting will detect what type of surround recording is on the disc, but it will only detect the lead-in signal to the disc which can be anything. You will still need to enter the DVD menu to select your preferred surround mode unless the DVD disc itself has no other option available. Also, once a disc is playing you may change the surround/stereo modes with the remote using the "Audio" button and navigation buttons.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 781
If DVD player is properly set, Auto works flawlessly. You can only use the preset labels to assign digital inputs. You can not otherwise manually lable the inputs.

patnshan
Unregistered guest
Thanks. I will have to take a look at the DVD player. I am not sure what you mean be "set"?

Pat

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1225
Pat,
If you're running 7.1, it wont always activate properly on 'auto'. For example, if I'm watching 2-channel Sat channel in PLIIx, and then change the channel to a 5.1 Antennae source, I'll have to activate PLIIx manually.

If your receiver display is only showing 2 speakers, then it's only getting a 2 channel signal. You might want to go into your DVD player setup menu and make sure that DD, and DTS are activated in the player. Also, whenever I play a DVD, I go into the audio setup page for the DVD and make sure the correct soundtrack is selected.

Good luck

patnshan
Unregistered guest
Thanks Paul, you answered my stupid question. I never thought that I set my DVD player to 2 channel output because my old pro logic only accepted that. I changed it to digital and bam! WOW!!!!!! I cannot believe how great this thing sounds. It will get even better after my friend spectrum analyzer works the calibration!
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I will try to get smarter by playing with that beautiful machine a little more. I certainly need more time with that big, bad remote! A lot of functions there:-)

Pat
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us