ARCAM owners HELP, Alpha/Diva/bi-amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Stifa

Post Number: 27
Hi,

I have one small dilemma and need your advice:
My system is now under construction, and after few mistakes and some money lost I decided to keep two components and build system around them.

Speakers - B&W CDM 1 SE
Power amp - Arcam Alpha 9p

I decided to BI-AMP my system by getting either used Alpha 8r integrated or used Diva A65+, with either Arcam Alpha 8 or NAD C542 CD player.So basically I have two possible systems:

1) Arcam Alpha 8r integrated
Arcam Aplha 9p power amp
Arcam Alpha 8 CD player

or

2) Arcam Diva A65+ integrated
Arcam Alpha 9p power amp
NAD C542 CD player

I want to know what would in your oppinion be the better system sonically,
I am also interested in differences between Alpha 8r and Diva A65+ when used in bi-amp with Alpha 9p I own.

Also, will Diva A65+ be compatible to use with Alpha 9p to get the same results like Alpha 8r + Alpha 9p? (because of the different values in tech spec. and maybe different sound?)

Also I am interested in your comment on CD player choice and differences between Alpha 8 and NAD C542 in my system.

It will be easier for me to get components from the second system I mentioned (cheaper), and that's why I want to know is it worth of waiting and spending more money on the first system if it sounds better (or not)???, YOUR OPPINION PLEASE ;)

Sincerely,
Marko
stifa@eunet.yu

GW
Unregistered guest
As an owner of both Arcam Alpha (5 plus) and DiVA (A85) amps I can say they are significantly different. Therefore the Alpha 8/9 combination may be a better match. I can't say this for definate, it's just based on the different sound of the DiVA range from tha Alpha range, assuming that all Alphas sound similar, and likewise for the DiVAs.

With regard to CD players, I have owned both Arcam (Alpha 7SE - still got it five years on, and it sounds great) and NAD (501 - replaced it with the 7SE). The NAD constantly blew the lamps on the display, and my previous NAD (can't remeber the model number) lasted only a couple of years before it became unecomonic to repair.

Unregistered guest
whilst repairing my speakers I inadvertently touched speaker connections and thereby blowing a fuse (I think) in my Arcam Alpha 8. There is no power to my unit. How do I repair the blown fuse. I have not opened the casing and not sure if I should. Advice please.

................................................................................ ................................................................................ .......................................
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us