Axiom M50ti ?

Bronze Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 47
Starting to create a stereo system for the den and I'm curious about the Axiom M50ti speakers but have not seen a review. Can anyone tell me about them?

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 142
Axioms are known for nice detail and clarity but at high volumes and/or long listening periods can cause "listener fatigue" in some people due to their metallic drivers/tweeters which can sound harsh and bright.

They are handsome-looking speakers though, more attractive than the Ascend speakers (the other big Internet-direct speaker) but also more pricey.

Go to Ascendacoustics.com to compare, especially read their reviews by both pros and consumers...massive paper trail, even more so than Axiom's. Like Axiom, Ascend also offers a 30 day trial period...it'd be very interesting if you ordered the M50ti as well as the Ascend 340 and compared them side by side, then returned the one you liked less!

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 48
The Axioms ARE easier to look at....Maybe a warm NAD C352 would make a nice match with the Axioms.

Any other small towers I should check out???

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Yeah, look into the Paradigm Monitor 5s, should go for around $550 locally...these are "warm" as opposed to the Ascends which are more "neutral/natural." Neither of them will ever give you listener fatigue though.

The Ascend 170s are the ones I was referring to as the eyesore, their 340s are nicer looking.

Username: Littleb

Moorhead, Minnesota USA

Post Number: 1
Edster,

I would respectively like to disagree with you on the m50s. I auditioned them in my home alongside a pair of Axiom m22s I was comparing them with. I wouldn't characterize any of the Axiom offerings as "bright." The m50s are very pleasing to listen to, whereas the m22 are more forward, which may be what you prerceive as harshness. I was looking for a less forward sounding speaker, which is the reason I auditioned the m50s, but ended up keeping the m22s due to their superior imaging. Axiom actually make two lines of speakers, let's call one less detailed and the other forward. The m50s are what I would characterize as a warm speaker.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
Well it has been seen time and again that speaker preferences can be quite subjective, so I do not at all discount your experience.

I would still wager that the Axioms' titanium and aluminum drivers are bound to sound "brighter" than the Ascends' Aerogel drivers just by the nature of those materials, but I have not had the chance to compare the m50 side by side with the Ascend 340 so that's just my guess.

It looks like the m22 is actually more similar to the Ascend 340 in size and drivers; I like that it's about $100 less though I wonder about it being 10 lbs lighter.

Anyways as long as we're happy with whatever we get that's all that really matters...

Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 7
Rick - Here's a review on the Axiom Epic 50 Home Theater System which includes the Axiom M50ti's.

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review10_main48.html

Sounds like the M50ti's are pretty nice speakers!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 540
I recommend that you listen to them first......

Whoops, they're internet only. I guess you could always take a 'leap of faith', and return them if you arent totally satisfied.

In all seriousness.......Why not go shopping to look and listen to several models in person? I'd never buy speakers sight-unseen, nor include them for consideration.

If you're going to pay for speakers for the opportunity to perform a 'home demo', you might as well look and listen to them in person first. Most brick and mortar stores have a full refund policy too if you arent satisfied with your choice. Taking a blind flying leap of faith on internet brands doesnt make sense.

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
Rick, Paul is absolutely right as usual---if you order an Internet only speaker and don't like it, you may be out of a whopping $30-50 in return shipping! Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Surely it's MUCH much better to go to some big-box retailer like Best Buy where you can freely audition and get full refunds for such cutting-edge marvels as Bose, Sony, KLH, Cerwin (choke, gag, cough) Vega, etc. And if you don't like the lousy selection at these big-box stores, you can always go to a small specialized local audio store which will typically charge you a 10-20% restocking fee, if they allow non-defective refunds at all in the first place.

Sure both the big and small audio stores will typically offer a much lower price-to-quality ratio compared to the Internet brands but who cares about that? I personally have never bothered to listen to ANY Internet speakers myself, since I just absolutely HATE the idea of EVER possibly having to put them back in the box and ship them back in case I don't like them. THat would necessitate me getting out of my armchair after all...oh the horror the horror! Leaps of faith...who needs 'em? Bah humbug.

Yes, listen to Paul!!!

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 51
Yea, I know you guys are right...shop around. I just hate the salesmen. Got a shop right around the corner selling Paradigm among others...so pushy and not willing to set up something for you. For instance, last year I asked about the Studio 40s...didn't have them set up... "You can listen to the 60s!" "....really don't have any place to set up the 40s"...WHAT?!!! I bolted. Now I'd like to listen to the Monitor 5s but I hesitate to go back..."DUH, don't have the Monitor 5s set up but you can listen to the Studio 40's...".

So I took chance on the Athena AS-F2s for my living room. Best Buy was not the best place to listen to speakers but they did sound good. Got them home and I love them. So, that is why I'm interested in the Axiom M50ti. It's got the same configuration but 6" woofers instead of the 8"s in the Athenas. Smaller Athenas just don't get it. Maybe the Axioms will be OK for the smaller den..12'x 12'. Yea, hate the thought of sending them back...a pain...and they are a little more expensive than I think they sould be.

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
Rick,

Go to the ascendacoustics.com website and log into their users' forum. You might be able to locate an Ascend user in your area who'd be happy to let you come over and listen. That's how I chose them, after hearing dozens of retail speakers first. I was sold immediately!

Your comments about salesmen are very typical of what I often hear from a great many people. But be careful, heh heh, a couple of the posters on this forum are proud career salesmen and may take it personally and start a flame war with you, or attempt to do so with a 150 post thread as happened recently. So hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. ; )

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 52
Thanks...Not all of my experiences have been bad. It's just that Ann Arbor, Mich has only two high end shops and the other is worse...went there to listen to Klipch RB-75s...Walked in and it was no more than a little warehouse...did not have them in stock...I walked out. The Detroit burbs have some great shops that have wonderful sales people but it's a matter of driving 100 miles+ round trip...

Bronze Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 58
I called the guys at Axiom, and they invited me to the factory outside Orangeville for a tour.
They also were happy to have me bring any equipment I may have to test properly.
Of course, if you live far away this is difficult, but give them a call.
Seemed like nice folks to me, come and see the place and all.

Cheers

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 53
Hey Nuck...Where is the Axiom Orangeville factory? I'm 50 miles from the Detroit/Windsor border. I would not mind a road trip for a factory tour.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 54
...oh, near Toronto...a bit too far, Nuck...

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 55
....Oh, near Toronto...a bit too far.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 66
I auditioned the Paradigm Monitor 5v.4 and 7v.3 yesterday at the place I mentioned previously. The room was way to large for the speakers and I was disappointed. I'll have to go to some other store with a small listening room to check them out again. I did find they were extremely similar in sound but the 7 went deeper. Both very balanced and sweet but not for large rooms, they sounded "small" (Driven by a NAD theater amp). The Axiom M50ti is still on the list.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 67
I auditioned the Paradigm Monitor 5v.4 and 7v.3 yesterday at the place I mentioned previously. The room was way to large for the speakers and I was disappointed. I'll have to go to some other store with a small listening room to check them out again. I did find they were extremely similar in sound but the 7 went deeper. Both very balanced and sweet but not for large rooms, they sounded "small" (Driven by a NAD theater amp). The Axiom M50ti is still on the list.

Bronze Member
Username: Justme123

Post Number: 26
I am currently waiting for my set of Axioms to arrive. 50s for the fronts, the 150 center, a pair of QS4s for the surrounds, and the 175 10" sub. I was able to do a bit of upgrading on the speaker package after getting one of the Marantz SR8400s on Ubid for $460! Anyway, when everything is received, in place, and tuned, I'll post a report.

Room size 12'X 15' open on one 12' end, seating across the 12' width (HT 5.1) All of the above, plus Marantz VC-5400 DVD changer all feeding a JVC 61Z786 LCOS rear projection set.

I'm feeling significantly poorer now!

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 70
JUST ME, Still waiting for that report on your Axiom setup!!!

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 71
I bought a Rotel RX-1052 receiver. I'll pick up the Axiom M50ti speakers in early June.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 293
I love their surround speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
A little lax in posting... sorry folks!

Got my system set up two weekends ago. I still have not ordered the JVC. I'm waiting for the new 52" to begin shipping in June.

The setup is the same as posted above with the addition of a Fortec lifetime and a DishNetwork 301-13 receivers.

The clairity is amazing to my ears. I'm sure that I need to tweek a bit further, and I'm still getting used to the available modes on the SR8400.

The VC-5400 DVD changer does not output the OSD through the component vidio, this one set me back an evening. Now that I have it up and adjusted to my tastes, I have cycled through some Seal, Jimmy Hendrix, ZAPPA!, Nirvana, and quite a bit of Moody Blues.

The 150 watt sub is set for 100Hz crossover and 6 on the volume. The fronts are set to Large as are the Surrounds. The center I toned down to -3db as to not overpower the fronts or drown out the QS4s.

If you are in an area that is comparible to mine, I challange you to get above 0db! I was waiting for cracks to appear in the lathe and plaster walls! And still.......crystal! If distortion occured I was oblivious to it. The sound is enveloping, from the lowest of lows to the top of the tweeters, I can find no fault in the Axioms..... as yet. Being one whom lives by Paul's Law (that being, "that freakin Murphy was an optimist") I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop............. nothin.

If you want esoteric warms, brights, muddy's and so forth, sorry I'm not your guy, look elsewhere for the ego fix. All I can attest to is "sounds REALLY GOOD to me" and belive me, if I was at all dissatisfied, i'd be bad mouthin these puppies from here to Toronto!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Sorry Again!

That should read 175 watt sub! 150 is what i just set my test setup here at work for to fry some memory! LOL

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 61
"If you want esoteric warms, brights, muddy's and so forth, sorry I'm not your guy, look elsewhere for the ego fix."

Then you can't be a part of the club.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Crap, knew I'd get sent down the road again! ROFLMAO

Bronze Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 35
Edster I have heard you talk a lot about the Ascends. Now their site is not much to speak of and there isn't a heck of a lot of info on it and they seem not to have any retail outlets. I trust your praise of them, but how did you get to hear them first time? Are you near Gardina CA or did you just by them site unseen?

I'm trying to test/hear as many speakers as I can before making a judgement. I plan to take a listen to the Axioms this weekend.

Bronze Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 36
Sorry I meant I was going to listen to Paradigm's

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 72
I listened to the Paradigm Monitor 5 and 7. They are not meant for large rooms. In the big room I auditioned them in, they sounded small (but good) even though I turned them up fairly loud. Make sure you audition speakers in a room that approximates your own. Also, the bass from them was weak when the bum initially set them way out from the wall. Position them the way YOU want and experiment for the best sound. Don't be afraid to play around with them in the showroom.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 79
Ordered the Axiom M50s today...2 weeks for the factory outlet blems at 10% off the price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 662
Stof,

Actually the Ascend site is quite informative, they are one of very few speaker manufacturers to post such detailed specs and measurements of their speakers, usually you just get a lot of image-building fluff and advertising blather.

Through the Ascend user's forum I was fortunate enough to locate a local Ascend owner who let me come and listen to them...since I had already spent a good deal of time auditioning other speakers beforehand I already had a good idea of what type of sound I liked and how much things cost relative to different levels of quality. The Ascend speakers sold me within 15 minutes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us