HK vs Rotel

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 95
I have always been a fan of HK receivers and I am looking for a new stereo receiver to use in my bedroom for music listening. I was originially looking at getting the HK 3480, but then I began to read reviews and info on the new Rotel RX-1052 stereo receiver. I was wondering if anybody has any inputs on which they prefer for sound quality. I will be using some Infinity Beta towers and probably a subwoofer (but the sub has high level inputs, so I don't need a sub preout)

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 238
Rotel all the way. I don't think HK is the company it was a few decades ago.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 505
Must agree with Ben, Rotel and HK aren't in the same league. I would go with Rotel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
See, I really want to go with the Rotel, because the sound is exactly the way I want sound to be, but I'm just not sure if it's worth the $900 price tag.

...anybody know if there's anywhere I can get it cheaper?

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 575
Cyrus,

if you can find a used pre-amp for cheap on eBay, why not consider getting a pair of these:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/200.html

Bunny
Unregistered guest
Cyrus,
Another choice would be the NAD 720BEE....It retails for $600.00 but you could probably find it cheaper at www.saturdayaudio.com or www.yawaonline.com

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/new/117829.html

Just a thought

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 65
With the Rotel, you'll get better build quality, a prettier box and the Rotel name. But unless you have "golden ears," I seriously doubt that you'd be able to hear much, if any, difference in sound quality between the Rotel and the HK -- certainly not anywhere near twice as good. If money is not a problem, go for the Rotel. But if your budget is going to be strained, I think you'd be very satisfied with another receiver. I think Bunny's recommendation regarding the NAD 720BEE is a good alternative to the Rotel. Others to consider: Marantz SR4320 and Integra DTM-5.3.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 510
The NAD sounds very good and provides a good alternative to the Rotel. The Marantz and HK IMO do not. They are apples and oranges. I owned the Marantz SR4320 in my bedroom system and replaced it with the Rotel and it made a night and day difference. The NAD is as good as the Rotel but just different. All of the equipment so far listed is of good quality they are just in different classes.

Username: Hatebreed

Post Number: 3
HK makes good recievers but I agree they aren't what they used to be. You should look into some of the sony alternatives, like the new str-de998, home theater just reviewed it and gave it a very good review. I've owned a sony for 5 years and love it.

Username: Bunny

Big D, Texas

Post Number: 5
hatebreed,
he is looking for a "stereo" receiver, besides,with all due respect, Sony is not in the same league as Rotel or Nad.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 622
Amen to Bugs!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
I can't believe that guy just said the "S" word in a thread talking about Rotel and NAD...

just goes to show how much good marketing is able to cover up sh*t product.

Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 6
Cyrus -
Have you considered an integrated amp? If you don't need the tuner, the NAD C320BEE has the same power section as the C720BEE, but is about $200 cheaper. I've got the C320BEE and can't recommend enough.
When I was buying my C320BEE, I listened to it next to the Marantz stereo reciever (SR4320?) and it was a very noticable difference. Whether it is a good or bad difference is up to the listener. If I needed a reciever I'd definately go with the C720BEE, but that's just me.

Bronze Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 63
Stay away from Sony

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us