Good speakers for an old receiver

Username: Flom717

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for advice on front/center speakers and a subwoofer.

I recently inherited a Yamaha RX-V890 from my parents. It's a reasonably high end 5.1 piece from the late 90s. My apartment has 2 wall recessed in the rear of my family room.

I have $300-$600 to spend to finish the system. I'm looking for front speakers, a center speaker, and a subwoofer that will last me a while and will keep me happy a few years down the line when I get a more theatre-like setup. Any advice on brands and models would be appreciated. Also, I was wondering whether or not I should use this receiver or just buy a new one along with the speakers?

Thanks in advance!

Bronze Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 74
Jacob

Hi there

Hunt down some matching loudspeakers as there power rating will be the same sensitivity frequency response and range too.

And use the sub bass on bass manager to handle all the low end down to 20Hz from the X-over point on the AVR.

I use JBL control 5 three screen matching and am spot on just like dubbing stages cinemas; you will see no less behind the screen, like the classic JBL 4675-A THX approved loudspeaker.

As for the sub bass the budget is a tight one in deed but there are all possibilities.

Ashley.

Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 5
My suggestion would be: on that budget, hold off on the subwoofer for now. Even hold off on the centre and get some good quality fronts. Consider used speakers...if you can find ones that have been cared for, that $600 can take you a long way. Also, I wouldn't toss the 890 so hastily, it was an $850USD receiver in it's day and in spite of being short a few of the newer technologies, it is still a solid amp.

Username: Flom717

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input. Any reccomendations for fronts in that go for $600-$800 new?

Bronze Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 80
There are so many and the JBL range comes to mind and as been around for nearly a century now.

The JBL SVA 1500 are dame fine wall to wall three tops tall, three for the front, is all you need and the stage will be set, and ready for Star Wars episode 3 this fall, pucker
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://firek.free.fr/jbl_sva1500_haut.j pg&imgrefurl=http://firek.free.fr/jbl_sva.html&h=442&w=191&sz=16&tbnid=mnrC76lFI moJ:&tbnh=123&tbnw=53&hl=en&start=15&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djbl%2Bsva%26hl%3Den%26lr %3D%26sa%3DN

As to cost have a look around for the best price going as they have been at for a few years and still good for design and build plenty of dynamic range for there size.

Ashley

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 604
Speakers sound very different from oneanother. You need to listen to some and decide what you like.

If it were me, I'd be very tempted to find a pair of 20 year-old Klipsch Cornwall's on ebay. From what I've read, and from people I know and respect, they rock. Tremendous sound and strong low bass. The good thing about them is that if they don't work out for you, you could sell them for the same price you paid (or just about). You can't say that about anything you buy new. A word of warning, the Cornwall's are big speakers! Check them out on the Klipsch web site.

Marc Buis
Unregistered guest
Dear Jacob,

I own a pair of sva 1600 JBL's and i must say; you really cannot go wrong with the JBL SVA series. The only thing that might hinder you to buy these babies is.....You can't find them anywhere! But if you do....tell me! Because I want to buy the center and a couple of 1500's

Ok jacob..I will tell you a bit about my JBL SVA1600 and you decide if these speakers are the thing for you.
My 1600's are probably the best thing I have heard for watching movies. (except for BW matrix series) I am running them on a harman kardon receiver wich gives them a lot off bass (they are not really lacking in this department, but the HK is somewhat "american" in this aspect!) and somewhat less high. (Your yamaha should perform a bit better on the high sounds, I figure)

The sound is NEVER to much FOR MOVIES!!! Always nice and tidy. Whenever something blows up...well....your couch moves a couple off inches back! Mind you, I bought these speakers pure for movies, but it handles music rather nicely to.

Ok, by now you must know that I am a big fan of my speakers. BUT, i need to say one thing! I have listened to these speakers for hours before buying them. I must agree with Peter: try...before you buy! (if you cannot, make sure you are paying not a lot)

A word on Klipsch: A friend of mine has owned a couple of klipsch speakers. I do not really know the Cornwall's but you might consider the brand, if you do not mind the size of these speakers. Ok, what i wanted to say about klipsch: I have owned a Marantz amplifier and have run it on these klipsch speakers. My friend and I sat down and listened to it AND we didn't really liked how the marantz was handling these speakers. His own amp (a denon) sounded very nice though! What I am trying to say! If you can listen to your speakers WITH your yamaha receiver, do it! Your receiver might influence the character of the speaker considerably!

Hope you succeed in finding a couple of 1500 AND LET ME KNOW!!!!

Succes,

Marc

Marc Buis
Unregistered guest
Jacob,

a review about the JBL sva1500:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/SpeakerPackages/JBL/JBLSVA150 0.php

M

Silver Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 179
Marc you ever find any reviews about the JBL HT4H center channel I know its identical but it seems like a rare product that no one talks about

Marc Buis
Unregistered guest
Cory,

it is a strange thing. I was lucky to get my hands on my sva1600, but I can not find any others...on the net or anywhere else.

It is a shame really, because they sound so very good. (look a bit ugly though)

Marc

Barnacle
Unregistered guest
Did the SVA line just never make in/to the States?

Marc Buis
Unregistered guest
Barnacle,

weird thing is...I come from the Netherlands....

Marc
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us