Mordaunt Short 902, how good are they?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 129
I rang up richersounds and asked them what there best bookshelf speakers were for playing rock&metal which were under £180. They said the Mordaunt Short 902s, and said they are excellent with all types of music. They are selling them for only £120 and all the reviews I've read are 10/10. The size of them is great because of my limited space. A couple of issues though...wheres the dustcaps gone? Isn't this a disadvantage. Also, how would rear-ported speakers sound in a room where the speakers will be up against a wall-a hollow wall. I hope ok!
One last thing, can anyone from experience tell me how much detail these speakers produce, especially with the midrange. My headphones torment me everytime I listen to them and make a mockery of my current surround sound system. Its like I'm missing half of whats in the song!

bumblebee
Unregistered guest
mordaunts use continuous profile cones. no dustcaps.

here's what they have to say:

"Our proprietary CPC (Continuous Profile Cone) Technology produces exactly predictable woofer performance by ensuring controlled piston-like movement at low frequencies and minimal break up at higher frequencies. Lightweight and extremely rigid aluminium cones are used for faithful dynamics. This advanced technology, combined with our custom designed sub cone ensures controlled damping throughout."

how about the 912's? i'm getting the 914's myself soon.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1893
"Also, how would rear-ported speakers sound in a room where the speakers will be up against a wall-a hollow wall."

Generally not advisable - you may be able to bung the ports which will impede the lower frequencies, preventing boominess. Find out the recommended distance from the wall for this particular speaker and if port bungs are okay. Try and audition a few different brands in your home if you can.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 130
I guess that's the downside to these speakers for me. I would prefer not to 'bung' the ports up as I actually want to hear some bass. Front ported speakers will be better then. Richersounds said I can do a 14 day take home trial for the speakers if I wanted. I might do that sometime and if i can be bothered, find a demo room too!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us