Best cdp for Dynaudio & Nad

Anonymous

I'm looking for a "best" cd player to complement Dynaudio 42 and Nad 320bee. Nad 521bee would be a natural choice, but maybe I could find something even better... At the moment I don't have cdp anymore, and I've used dvd-player as a source. Well, I'm not happy with dvdp. I'd wish more warm midrange, more air in soundstage, better separation of the instruments, more involving grip, more details, less harsh treble, more brilliance in sound, etc.

Problem is that I have rather limited auditioning possibilities due to my home town. Now, I've auditioned only CA640C with my equip, and it sounded very good: "correct" and involving, but maybe a bit lean. Above mentioned 521bee I haven't heard. Since I need to make a little auditioning journey to listen to the potential alternatives, good suggestions would help me to save the planet (less kms by car ;-) ).

My budget is not limited to 521bee range, but I need very good reasons to invest e.g. $1000 into a cdp alone.

At one point I considered that a cdp with tubes would bring me warm mids, but I've never really gotten into the tube world, so I don't know if cdp is a place to start.

Well, I guess 42 & 320bee combo is not uncommon. What sort of listening experiences do YOU have?

Username: Bhumi44

Ahmedabad, Gujarat India

Post Number: 3
Dear sir,

We have this service manual in stock.
kindly contect us on info@bhumitapes.com or bhumi44@rediffmail.com

thanking you
kirit shah

Anonymous

Thank You very much Kirit Shah. You eased my selection a great deal: that was exactly what I was looking for, a service manual for a CDP which I haven't bought yet. Thanks for Your input.

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
Anon,
I'm trying to decide on a CDP myself. The local NAD dealer still doesn't have a C542 that I can compare the C521BEE directly against. But the C521BEE sounds great. I also have the C320BEE, and I heard the C521BEE through the C320BEE in the store, and it sounded great. I don't like using the terms that you used to describe the sound because everyone has a different opinion as to what they actually mean. But it is definately worth the trip to hear it if you've got the free time. Some say the C542 is a lot better than the C521BEE, others say it's a marginal difference. I already have a working cd player (NAD 523 changer), so I can wait a little while to hear the 2 others compared side by side. If I needed a CDP right then and there, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy the C521BEE. It sounded that good, to me anyway.

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
Is there anyway to ban this A$$-clown? Fake names and BS posts are one thing, but ads are completely unethical!!

fyang
Unregistered guest
for what it's worth, I just got an NAD C320BEE to go with the C521BEE CDP I've had since last year (run through a pair of Paradigm Studio 20v3s) and it sounds great. Those two components seem to really like each other.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 537
Anon

In my view the C542 brings a lot of things to the party that the 521 does not. It has a much more assured presentation, far better resolution and better timing. I prefer it quite a bit over the 521.

Other CD players which play music, as opposed to just giving you an analogue signal from digits would be the Arcam CD73T and Rega Planet. These machines jump up in terms of performance. Every time the budget jumps up, the musical performance of the kit gains new aspects which simply escape the lower level performers. Of course, when all you've heard is the music on your transistor radio, you don't know what you've not heard.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 538
Incidentally, it's not usual to see Dyn 42 paired with the C320BEE, partly because they're quite difficult to drive. It's an interesting combination which I haven't tried.

Regards,
Frank.

Anonymous

Not usual, really? Well, I paired them due to nice sound Dyn42 has to offer, and after auditioning a few other more expensive amps. Yes, I chose speakers first. I consider 320BEE to offer well enough for Dyns, with a sound way more pleasing than many others. No problems with power reserves here, I tell You. Anyhow, I've certainly liked the combo, and I do think they deserve a good CDP to last for a long time. The Arcam73 You mentioned is on my list; it has the same DAC(s) as CA 640C, sound of which was quite pleasing to my ears.

Why I don't go ahead and just buy a unit (e.g. 521BEE is not expensive), is that I really hate buying components just to regret a not optimal choice due to hasty decision. Anyhow, even more I hate selling the old stuff: I typically try to push them to my relatives. Sorry for that, folks.

BTW, I actually have heard also other stuff than just a transistor radio, although I don't have zillion$ equipment. I've reasoned not having that especially because of the listening: real value is something I'm after.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 546
Anon

Don't get me wrong - I rate the Dyn 42 very highly. It's a great little speaker with a big heart. I also rate the C320BEE highly - it has an extremely musical quality about it which communicates the message of the music really well. It's just that in this country we would normally consider only the C352 and above for the 42s - normally! I am glad you say the C320BEE works well with them so I shall have to give it a go. :-)

I have heard good things said about the CA CD players but I have not heard one myself. The type of DAC used is interesting but this is hardly the whole story since the transport, filters and analogue sections of the player have a big effect on the eventual sound. After all, Naim CD players (all of them) use the PM200 DAC and they vary from £850 to £7400 in price.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us