Center Channel? How important is a good one?

Hi, I just upgraded my receiver to the Onkyo SR600 and was wondering about upgrading my Jamo center channel.
How much of a difference does a better center channel make for DVD movies and TV?

Any recommendations for a good inexpensive center channel?

Thanks,
Mike

matt
The only thing I could say is that the more nicer center channel speakers have better drivers a freqeuncys. Usually the nicer centers and a freq. range of 70 to 20khz. If you want to upgrade i suggest Fluance, I purchased a surround set and im very pleased. If you go to their site fluance.com you can buy their seperate center channel speaker for about 70 or 80 dollars which is a awesome deal. And maybe you might consider to upgrade your speakers when you look at the other products. Read the reviews too.
Matt

Rule #1...when it comes down to speakers for your music and movie's...don't hold back...get the best you can...A center speaker get's so much information, like about 60% or better...Plan on spendin a few bucks there...I certainly would not try to just get by...I run Bose 901's..serioes 6'ss all the way around my entertainment room..and i use 2 Bose for the front left , as well as 2 for the front right, and center channel get 2 Bose 901 series 6's as well...side channels i have 2 901's on the left and right as well...Back>> is the same set up as the front...i run 4 subs as well...the mighty ULD's 18 '' Val's.....I'll stop there, but ..point i'm making is don't go cheap..this is your baby, and your going to sitting there for a long time..getting off on movies..ect...so do it right the 1st time....make sure for your room as well, its right as well...depending the size of the room, carpet??..ect....many options to choose from...In short..Have fun ..thats what its all about.Don

Berny
I'm sorry to say Donald that I am not too impressed with the Bose 901 in whatever series. When I was a kid I used to dream of purchasing the 901s. I was able to get my hands on them when I joined the military and i got a great deal from the base exchange catalog. Talk about diappointments, that was a big letdown. It just didn't sound right...the voices especially on the sibilances, sound muffled. It can get loud and is capable of handling a lot of power but its just not on the clear and detailed side. i used to run Klipsch before getting the 901s and figured I would "upgrade", what was I thinking?!? At first I thought it was the unit itself and being that the AAFES has a 90 day return policy I returned it after a week. But alas, the replacement came after a prompt 14 days and there was no improvement. I was running SAEs as my pre-amp and Soundcraftsmen PCR800 at the time so I don't think my source was the problem.
As I matured, I figured maybe I should try the 901s again, maybe they have improved. For $899, with free shipping, I figured, let's try this again, after all I have 90 days to audition them. I gave it about thirty days and returned them never to venture into the illusion of better sound through research again, at least as far as home listening is concerned, even my wife did not like the way it reproduces music and movies, and believe me, she doesn't even care for this madness, but she noticed the muffled sound and lack of detail in the movies that we were watching. I do have a bose product, the Bose 802 series III, it's really great for karaoke.
Right now, it's axioms and klipschs' for me.

timn8ter
For movies a good center channel is a must (in almost all circumstances but that's another topic) and should match your mains in timbre. You should try to avoid having a center channel that makes itself known when the action moves from side, to center, to side. You want it seamless. Try to buy the same brand that uses the same drivers as your mains, otherwise it could get tedious.

Max
Hello,
Yeah a good center channel makes loads of difference!! And yes Axioms are great.. You can check them out at Axiomaudio.com.
Max

dave
I just got new center channels called hyper peni$es. They shoot sound out like it's pumpin a bitc.. I mean some subs.

Hi Berny...ty for the response..>>
Well i read your comments all good...I don't think it weas your sourse, since what you wre using for equipment was A-OK..in my books...
I remember back...I got my 1st pr. of bose 901's.....Those were the series 3's... As with most speakers ..>> Speaker placement will make yea or break yea...Sure most here will agree on that as well..In another words for example set of AR 9's...or AR 90's...the same way as normal so called conventional Speakers...There unique to say the least, as are the Bose 901's << >> (( Grin's ))...>>>
I'm not going to tell you how they might have been set up, or in fact anything like that as you know the 123's..about this all.
All depends on so many factors...
1) size of room....and is it open w/ another room...carpet..hard wood.??
2) Is the room dead, the ''O'' clap your hand deal there..lol
3) With Bose >>On there units or were they hung?? and if so eather way, what was the distance, Dr.Bose gave some examples for best sound, for your set-up...Mind you, only examples.So with that in mind, or for that matter all depends where - how- distance - on speaker placement.
Most important...If i may ..>>
Myself i use all my 901's for the midrange and highs, and doing what they do soo well, and thats give a quality sound all over thr room, that can only be described as a '' sweet spot anywhere and everywhere ''.
Now granted what you like and what i like, might in fact be totally different, thats a givin..
For my bass, i run the feq. cut off at 80 htz, with my Lexicon Pre Amp, And with that in mind let my 4 subs grab the low notes and pound my heart into butter, you might say that train or car just crashed...Those ULD's 18'' Subs take no back seat....
To me in movies.>>The better you can make it..the better it will be, for sound stage, quality, and smiles from all who's watchin the movie, >>omg ..did someone spill the hot popcorn...lol
But really thou, as with my comments as you read them, 1st of all , i was not there to see how you hooked them up, where they were at in the room, what you all tried to do...I do know one thing , if you wre looking for a deep robust bass speaker..then bose is NOT your answer, in the 901 line from Dr. Bose.
Thats where a sub helps !!!!
As i was talking about thou..>> There not for anyone, and not made for everyone, thats for sure..I have experimented alot with mine, and with my 4 subs...And yes little by little sometimes i change a few ideas around, and with my bose active EQ as well...I think now, i have taken them to new heights for me. So the only one i have to please is myself, as with you as well..>> IT'S ALL G@@D !! ""
No one has ever made the perfect speaker yet..!
So with that in mind, please take a Vaction one day ..Love to have you and wiffeeepooo over for the week-inn, Let's do some Movies, then let me set my Rane ( S ,EQ ), and rock with some music...Hopefully you will like many other's walk away and say ..good job Don...That would be kool...
I have a good friend in Mpl's MN, that does set-ups, he use to give me alot off ( bull ), on my choice of speakers, but after Dave listened to them for a few, he said >> Don i had no idea !!...Well enough on this, but ^5's Berny , very nice to meet you !!...And thanks for the reply, Hopein all is well, with you and your family....LatterzzZZZzZZZ
Donald L. Suedmeier
Dazzz@Earthlink.net
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us