Is it possible to add a center channel speaker....

Bronze Member
Username: Urlacher

Post Number: 20
to replace a center channel speaker that was purchased as part of a 6.1 JBL speaker system? I am not getting the performance I would like from the center channel speaker. All the other speakers I got in the set are fine. Is it possible to replace the JBL center speaker with a JBL EC25 speaker which is way better?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 368
I have the ec35 and like it very much , it is matched to n26II bookshelves. I used to have the old big plastic northridge center channel with the jbl simply cinema 5.1 setup and it seemed to match fine. So yes in my opinion go ahead and get it(or the e35) you will notice a difference.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 788
david,

Absolutely, and it'll probably be worth every penny since packaged speakers are usually very poor quality.

The center does at least 60& of the work in HT so get the biggest and best one you can afford from JBL...I'd go for the EC35 myself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
thanks guys....I couldn't afford the EC35 so I did go with the EC25. $99 at Vanns.com can't be beat. I'm sure i'll enjoy it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 793
I'm sure you will too, congrats. Post a quick little review here when it comes in, always nice to read about those "holy cow!" moments.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
wow...I didn't think changing the center speaker would make that much of a difference. By what you are saying it sounds like I am in for a treat. I can't wait. I should have done this a while ago.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I forgot to add that my reciever is a Onkyo with 75 watts continuous power. Still ok to handle this speaker?

Silver Member

Post Number: 794
If they're good center speakers, yes they'll make a huge difference. When I upgraded from a Wharfedale center to a big fat Ascend 340 center, dialogue in movies and TV opened up big time...I found that I didn't have to turn up the volume as high anymore to understand what the actors were saying.

Funny thing is, the Ascend center dwarfs my puny little 20" TV! Took the wife a while to get used to it but since she's the primary TV watcher she is now very attached to the new CC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
sweet man...you are very knowledgable.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 258
I must have said it god knows how many times three matching loudspeakers, arr

When will you all understand that concept, fine you what to mismatch and all have lemons of home cinemas, please go ahead.

Three-screen matching is the way and as been for decades in the professional cinema industry and applies to the home cinema as well, forget those turkey centre channels I'll stuff them and use it for clay pigeon shooting,

Get the picture!

Pull?
BANG?

P.S. I'm a former cinema projectionist for UCI and Warner village cinemas UK, I can help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 798
thanks David, I just read a lot and put the pieces together...one of the few concrete skills they teach English majors.

Others around here have a lot more hands-on experience and technical knowledge being in the trade (e.g. Jan) or having the wallet---and forgiving wives---to upgrade stuff all the time (e.g. Art).

The Onkyo should be OK as long as you don't push it to reference levels. Onkyos are infamous for grossly exaggerating their power ratings, even their high end models.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us