In serious need of assistance

Username: Moorejh

Post Number: 1
First off let me start by saying that I am relatively new to the surround scene. I currently have a mis-matched set of speakers and a JVC receiver, all of which I plan to get rid of. I also have a Velodyne powered sub that I am happy with that I plan on keeping.

I have a friend that really likes Marantz receivers and Axiom speakers. I have looked at the Marantz 8400 receiver and it seems that it is a pretty good receiver but then again what do I know. I have also looked at some NAD, HK, and Yamaha receivers. I really have no clue why one would be better than the other besides what my buddy tells me.

As far as speakers go I have read a lot of reviews on the Axioms (from their website) and most people seem very satisfied with their performance. Some other reviews I have read on the Paradigm speakers have me interested in those as well. I am very open for suggestions.

Tidbits...The room I will put this is 18' x 25' so it is a fairly large room that should be able to handle a nice set up. I have set a budget for all at around $3000.00 although if needed I can wait a couple more paychecks and add another $1000.00 or so to my budget if it will make a considerable difference. I have recently seen the Marantz SR8400 selling on EBAY for around $550.00 to $600.00 which I am sure are the receivers that were won on a ubid auction I read about on this board.

Please guide me..........

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 597
That's quite a large room. Make sure you get fairly efficient speakers or you'll have problems filling it with sound.

Read my thread

"Picking up speakers next weekend..."

and you'll know what I'd recommend for such a large room. :-)

Post Number: 2
How do I get to your threads?

Post Number: 3
Never mind I got it. Never heard of those but I will look into them. Any more advice from anyone...speakers or receiver advice is welcome

Bronze Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 70
Jay Moore,

Hi there you are delivered! That is a big room and you have one hell of a Budget $3000.00 wow and if you like films as well as music to the top of class performance, take a look at this site as a former cinema projectionist for UCI and Warner village cinemas UK, I can recommend the following.

And I have to be honest hear if you have the means the JBL 4645-A is so choice I like to have a room the size of yours because I would not hesitate not for one moment.

http://www.fproj.com/used/speakers.htm

oh they have sold out of the JBL 4675-A but there are other screen loudspeakers, plus surround loudspeakers like the JBL 8330 THX JBL 4645 sub bass THX and look at the price WOW in any body's language.

Ashley

Post Number: 4
Thanks Andy I will check it out now

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 601
I hope he's in the UK, otherwise shipping is a killer!

Post Number: 6
Im not in the UK...good ole deep south

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 602
Jay,

If you are open to the Internet-direct model then I'd strongly recommend Ascend speakers as well as Axioms. Do a Google search for them, you'll find that they are actually much more widely and much more favorably reviewed than the Axioms, and are actually less expensive. The Axioms do win on looks though, but for pure accurate sound the Ascends are tough to beat in their price range and are often favorably compared to speakers 2-3 times their price.

Aside from this forum, you can also read tons of firsthand accounts about the Ascends at the two biggest (AFAIK) audio forums, just go there and do a search:

avsforum.com
hometheaterforum.com

If you go to the ascendacoustics.com website you can also browse their users' forum and see if you can find an Ascend owner in your local area, if there is I'm sure they'd be happy to let you come listen.

I like Marantz receivers too but after my recent experience with NAD separates (see "holy MOFO" thread in Receivers section) I am not sure if I would buy any receiver again, except for maybe one of the new pure-digitals like the Harman Kardon DPR-2005.

Post Number: 7
Thanks Edster, I will look into the Ascend speakers. I will admit that looks are sort of important to me but I really want a quality sound and will give up some of the aesthetics to achieve it. Going to read the thread "holy MOFO" now...thanks again for responding to my thread...I was beginning to think all of the experts on the board went out of town for the long weekend.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 611
Jay,

the Ascend 170s are the ones which are um, "aesthetically challenged." The larger 340s which I have look fine. Both speakers are also available in a range of other finishes, that will however increase the cost and delivery time.

I know of one person who had Ascend ship him unfinished MDF cabinets which he stained and then sent back to them for completion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us