Sony STR 597 - Upgrade

Username: Cm73

Post Number: 2
Hello,

Been looking at upgrading my sub entry level Sony 597. Its ok for what it is, I'm looking for more UMPH. I listen to 50/50 music/HT. I am currently running in 5.1 with no plans to expand. I've been looking at the Marantz series. The Denon and Rotel are on my wish list. I'm looking at a budget of <$1000 CDN. My fronts are rated to 300w with 28-20 @ 92 db. Can anyone suggest the next step?

Post Number: 3
I think I may have found what I am looking for with the Marantz 6400, by reviewing the articles/discussions found here. If anyone has had similar success with the 6400, I'd be very interested.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 536
How much are you seeing the 6400 for? Its replacement, the 5500, is going for $600 shipped.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 476
workerbee: Rotel has the most grunt of the three you mentioned but with CV's you're probably looking more at volume than hifi results so I would recommend Marantz SR5500. The HK or Denon equivalents should fine as well. Anyone of those 3 receivers will give you quite and upgrade for music.

Post Number: 4
My local shop has the 6400 for 699 CDN. The rotel is about an extra grand. I don't know if the rotel has a/b speaker switch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 537
Hm, $700 CDN = $557 US. If you stick with Marantz I'd up that number to $600 US for the 5500 from hifi.com, it replaces both the 5400 and the 6400.

Better yet would be a Marantz 8400 from uBid I think their buy it now price is about $1000 Canadian. You can also find the 8400 on eBay brand new from the recent massive auction on uBid but they might not come with the original Marantz warranty.

Post Number: 5
thanks guys, I dont know if the 5500 is available here yet, I will inquire with the store. It could be the ticket.

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
Try ordering online; even with duties and stuff it might be cheaper, considering Canadian prices.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Regarding the SR8400 recommendation posted above:
The 'UBuy it' for the SR8400 is sold out (was US$710 + shipping) $899 CAD + shipping.

Maybe they'll have another "regular" auction...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us