Paradigm Studio 100's vs. Axiom Epic 80???

Username: Rich0301

Post Number: 1
Getting ready to start over with new system for HT and music. Finally got wife to part with her Bose 901's after she posted on this site about what receiver to buy for them. Auditioned the 100's in showroom, but realize they had perfect environment. Our listening space is @14.5 x 26. Some reviews say set them 36" out from the wall and I don't know that we have that kind of space. Would you characterize the Axioms as bright? I think we are really leaning towards the Paradigms, but live in central Indiana and there aren't many dealers in our area. May call some dealers in Cincy, Chicago and Louisville for some comparison shopping. Would be interested in experienced listener's opinions of the two. Also open to any other suggestions.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 435
Keep leaning Rich, the Studio 100's are great speakers and in a whole other class than the Axioms. Axioms are fine speakers but nothing like the 100's IMO.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 54
Rich, have to agree with Arthur here. Paradigm is a vastly better product than the Axiom. Are those your only choices to audition where you live? Studio 100's are what, $3K/pair these days?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 463
$2300, pretty spendy but a bargain for what you get.

Bronze Member
Username: Gtsum

VA

Post Number: 30
Rich,

Have to agree with the above posts...there is no comparison between the Studio 100's and the Axiom. However, there are many, many choices at that price point..depending on what you are looking for in a speaker or course - me, I had paradigm, and after adutioning Studio's, B&W, Monitor Audio, Usher, and some others - I went with Von Schweikert VR-2 (about $2600 a pair) - very different sound than the others - much cleaner, more deatailed, better separation, more open soundstage, etc. In fact, the Paradigm's sounded dull by comparison (that being said, they are still nice speakers). Good luck! One more thing, there was a vast difference in the sound of the Vons with NAD T773 and NAD separates - the T773 gave me a headache after 15 minutes...separates are the only way to go (in my opinion) if you are popping for speakers in your price range...

Username: Rich0301

Post Number: 2
Thanks for support. We ended up with the Paradigm Studio 100's, CC470, and ADP470s. Originally got the PDR12, but after wife's post/responses, we decided to return it and came home with the Paradigm PW2200. Also Denon AVR 3805. Using DVD player we already had-the LG DVR418. Not easy setting up for newbie. Will try again today.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 468
Rich: Shaun is right, hopefully you are taking some favorite movies and/or DVD's and auditioning speakers. When you are spending that much you probably don't want a bad case of buyer's remorse. So make sure you are getting what you want. I love Paradigm speakers, but they are not everyone's cup of tea. Good luck.

Wait a second, I know Rich and Cinda. They already bought the Studio 100's and are now in the process of choosing a sub. They have put together a dynamite home theater. To the Clark family I hope y'all get much enjoyment from your new gear and still get to go on your cruise. Out!

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 470
The PW2200 is definately a monster. I used to own one. It moves some serious air and can pressurize a pretty good size room. Enjoy!

Username: Jamesslally

Post Number: 5
In all seriousness, if you are not too far from the canadian border it is worth the drive. I found a dealer in windsor, just across the river from dirty toilet that is an authorized paradigm dealer and will sell the speakers (depending on model) for 30-50% off USA retail. There is no duty, taxes etc to pay. If you can get a canadian postal code nearby go to the paradigm website and do a dealer search.

Bronze Member
Username: Cindarn

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 11
jamesslally....i wish we could have....we are midwesterners and Canada is too much of a trek for us right now...so we bought them in Indy. No regrets yet, except we have literally spent the day cutting down a built-in bookcase so we could put the rears on side walls, and now running cables in attic. whew! You pros would have been sittin' easy doing some serious listening by now, I bet.

Bronze Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 73
Hey Come On..Everyone knows that Detroit(My home town) is not the garden spot of the USA by any means, but "Dirty Toilet"...give us all a break, Buddy! This is not the place to cut down places where people live. We are here to give each other advice on Audio Equipment, Period!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us