NAD C350 or NAD C320BEE

Username: Martin12345

Ostrava, Czech republic

Post Number: 4
I have oportunity to buy it for the same price.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 180
The C320BEE has a luscious sound and can't be beaten for the money HOWEVER the C350 was a more expensive amp at the time and next up in the range. The C350 has a (slightly) thicker sound with a (slightly) better bottom end. Not much between them at all so I'd say go and listen, make your own mind up. Having heard both units I'd take the C350 but as I said, there isn't much in it.

Bronze Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 73
Hey sunking whats up... Finally got that nad equipment I was talking about... Paired a c272 with a ft audio passive... Clearly betters my denon dra-685 (now sold). You pick up any new equipment lately?

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 74
Hey sunking whats up... Finally got that nad equipment I was talking about... Paired a c272 with a ft audio passive.. Much better than my denon dra-685. You pick up any new equipment lately? I also purchased the c422.

Ostrava, Czech republic

Post Number: 5
I want to use c350 with c270, later ...

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 182
Greetings Unbridled, how's it going mate? Glad you like the Nad power amp. All I've bought lately are some rather expensive speaker cables! Got some Townshend Isolda, can't remember if I had it last time we spoke. Like the sound of my hifi too much to go changing so thought I'd muck about with the cables instead. Almost bought a Nad Silverline S300 amp but read a few reviews where bright treble was mentioned so I dropped the idea. Shame though because it sounds like a damn fine amp, just didn't want to risk the brightness thing 'cause I hate that. What made you go with a passive pre?

Ostrava, Czech republic

Post Number: 6
so I buy NAD C350 and it is great !

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 75
hey king, you know I was just going to stick with nad and get the c162.. I kept looking at different pre's and saw a guy on this board who paired the ft audio passive with the c350, and he said the results were fantastic. Also a dealer told me that the pre is the most overlooked component in ones system. The dealer also said that while the nad was a good pre and has a simple circuit layout it was "not the last word in trans parency". The concept of a passive appealed to me, it's simplicity and leaving the signal unaltered as much as possible.
My cdp (541i) and tuner (c422) have more than enough output voltage to drive the amp so why do i need an active pre to color the signal more.. I leave the coloring for the amp and speakers... The ft audio deals with impedence issues as well, has some x-coupler which works with the volume pot I believe. Dynamics are wonderful and now I have bass (as compared to my old denon). And the clarity is simply superb... Paul lam, who I delt with at ft audio was a real gent, you get a 30 day trial (he extends it if you need more time to ascess the situation), and all the feedback to your questions your heart could desire.

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 76
That nad s300 is a real monster isn't it. I believe it weighs in at 62lbs, dual mono and I love the look of it... I have heard it is a gryphon tabu in nad clothing... I also hear it runs really hot but those who have reviewed it love the sound.... I wonder how it stacks up against the nad combo you have? I think having the pre in one box and the amp in another is a good idea... I think the c162/c272 would give the S300 a run for it's money.. You know nad is phasing out the silverline and according to one of their people I wrote to they are coming out with a new high end line, though I do not know when..

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 183
Yes, impossible to get the Silverline range in the UK anymore. A guy in Germany still has some new stock but I hadn't heard of a new high-end range from Nad. Who did you hear that from? Sounds interesting. Did you get a chance to listen to the C162 together with the C272? Did you feel the passive pre sounds better at all or did you just believe it to be better in principle? Let me know mate.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 184
Martin12345,

So how are you liking your new C350 and what kit have you got it matched with?

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 78
Hello Mr. king, I did listen to the c162 with the caveat being it was not in my home on my speakers but it was paired with the c272. The sound was good no doubt and I have not done an a/b between the passive and the nad.. But the nad had things I did not need: Phono inputs and circuity, headphone inputs and circuitry, and several other inputs. It was also another powercord (i do have enough outlets).. Based upon all I have read the passive pre is better based on what it does not do, and with the impedence issue is addressed with the ft audio little wonder I own.
The passive + nad c272 is sublime, I can tell you that much. Concerning the new nad line, nad has a customer service help page on their website and you can ask questions there. I asked if the silver line was being phased out and was told that it was and was being replaced by another high end line.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 191
That'll be interesting. I presumed they'd stopped producing the Silverline series because nobody was buying it. Great sounding kit by all accounts but the snobs who will spend that sort of money and more were put off by Nad's "budget" heritage. If it's a definite improvement on the Classic series but still retains the warmth that I've become accustomed to I might be tempted.

Ostrava, Czech republic

Post Number: 7
Sun King,
NAD C350 is perfect, very dynamik and wide sound :o) I have Denom DCD1450 and Xavian 125II and I plan to buy a subwoofer Xavian Cuore. To small rooms it sound great. You find it on www.xavian.cz (english)
My previous amp was Technics SU 700MkII, so You can imagine my excitment with NAD C350 :o) it's real amp :o)
In far future I plan to buy also a NAD C272 to biamp, and I hope it will be high-end for me.

Ostrava, Czech republic

Post Number: 8
Sun King,
to Your question about the NAD C162 and NAD C272.

I was in Prag on HiFiShow and there I listen about 40 amps and others. My favorite on the Show bekam just NAD C162 with NAD C272 and with BCaudio. And You must realize it is in comparison with McIntosh and atc. The NAD had the most warm, dynamik and beatufil sound on this show. So I decide it is my High end :o) Very good impression make to me also NAD DVDa player.

Ostrava, Czech republic

Post Number: 9
Sun King,
interessant idea come from one HiFi magazin. A recenzent Hear a preamp Rotel RC3 with poweramp Rotel RB3 and only from joke he connect amp Rotel RA1 with poweramp Rotel RB3 to biamp and hi found it better ! So i think about biamping NAD C350 with NAD C272 :o)

Unregistered guest
Hi everyone, I am kinda a newbie here, I work at Best Buy (insert laughs...) but I consider myself to be one of the more knowledgeable employees when it comes to audio equipment. My setup includes a Yamaha Rx-V730 receiver and a pair of Klipsh KSF 8.5's as my fronts, and some crappy JBL N28's that I plan on upgrading to a pair of either Klipsch reference or some BW's. However, my main concern is that the Yamaha under powers my towers a lot, especially in the lower end. Klipsh is known for its superb high frequencies esp. with the horns, but I feel that the midbass is undercut. I was looking at the NAD C270 to use as a power amp for the fronts only. I've heard plenty of great reviews on it, and for the price I believe it to be a bargain. Could anybody give me their opinion on the C270 or another amp comparable to it??? Thanks

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 79
I have heard that the klipsh is a "bright" speaker and the yamaha is a "bright" receiver, so the combo may not be ideal.. The nad amps are regarded as warmer than yamaha, so paired with your klipsh it would produce different results. Whether or not you will like these results in another matter.. The c270 is hard to find now, perhaps the c272 would interest you?

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 80
Hello mr king... You know part of the reason that some dealers in the U.S were not carrying the silver series is because of the low number sold.. I do believe that the low sales were a result of people feeling that spending that much on a NAD product was outrageous. Based upon the build quality and reading owner reviews the price wasn't all that bad. Initally before getting the passive pre I was really focused on getting the s100 pre to mate with the c272... Still wonder how that combo would sound to this day... I dig the look of the siver components and have a couple of pics of the inside of the s100 and s300 and it's impressive to look at... The silver line is over 7 years old now though and it seems to be time to "update" the line... Nad seems to update the classic series every three years at the longest so the silver line is due for an update...

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 193
Unbridled,
I'm surprised that Nad are contemplating a new high-end line if the Silverline didn't sell too well. Still, I look forward to seeing & hearing it if & when it arrives.

Master7045,
C270/C272 power amps are amazing value for money. Great sound and great driving power. Strong in the upper and mid bass with a warm, non-fatiguing sound. C270 has a slightly airier feel to the soundstage that its newer sibling but the C272 is perhaps warmer still.

Martin12345,
You'd change the tone if you biamped the C350 with a C272 - you'd be better off trying to find yourself a C270 power amp which is similar sonically to the C350, just with a deeper soundstage.

Bronze Member
Username: Wolfson

Post Number: 17
Unbridled all Silver series componets where updated. This is the i designation on the model #. This was done not to long ago if im not mistaken.

Wolf

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 81
Hey wolf, actually not all of the siver components were given the "i". Only the s170 av pre and the s500 were given the i. The s 300 integrated, the s 200 power amp, the s 100 2 channel pre and the s570 dvd, and the s400 tuner have not been updated. In nad's product archive on their website only the s 570 is listed as a current product, it seems to have been brought out in 03. Outside of the dvd, all of the other silver components are either listed in the recent products category or not listed at all. In the U.S. at least, what dealers do have silver components are selling them as refurbs for about half of list price. The selection of what is available is also quite limited, usually all I see are the power amps and the integrated.

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 82
Hey king I have a question for you, do you have a DAB tuner? In the U.S. we are so slow to move towards the technology. I live in a suburb of a major metropolis, and we have only two stations broadcast in digital and neither are stations I would listen too. I purchased the c422 tuner and it's pretty good. There are a couple of college stations, left of the dial, which I would like to get but the nad cannot get them. Strange thing is the tuner on my denon could get them, with the caveat being they came in with heavy interference or oftentimes not at all. I know getting a better antenna would help. Honestly, the stations broadcast with little wattage so I guess I have to deal with it or move out to the western suburbs.. I was looking at the cambridge azur tuner but it did not seem to have am capability non digitally. I need to listen to my talk radio and get the scoop on the political scene in this nation of mine... So, I keep the nad, though I have seen many ask on nad's website for a DAB tuner, especially those from your neck of the woods...

Bronze Member

Ostrava, Czech republic

Post Number: 11
Sun King,

so I better will look for C270

thanks

Username: Matt_123

Normal, IL

Post Number: 1
Thanks for all the advice guys, this is master7045, I finally registerd, it seems like I found a good product, if anybody knows where I could find a good condition C270 let me know, im a college student so money is a factor here, but I believe either to be a great buy. Thanks again

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 197
Matt,

I'm not in the States so I can't help you on sourcing a C270, other than Ebay.

Unbridled,

I've got a Cambridge Audio Dab300. All the FM stations in the UK are crappola! None of the cool rock stations you guys get....oh how I wish I lived in the US. There is ONE digital rock station over here, namely "Planet Rock" - which gets my vote so I eagerly purchased myself a Dab tuner. The Cambridge has a great sound, A1, but the stupid thing keeps switching itself off when it feels like it. I've had two exchange units and they both did/do it too so it's kind of put me off the Cambridge brand for the future. Great sound, crap build quality in my experience. I hear nothing but good things about radio in the States. Hell, if you guys get DAB too then you'll have a fantastic choice of stations! You could try looking at the 'Pure' line of AM/FM/DAB combined tuners - they get a top write up and they have everything contained in the one box. I don't know if Nad do such a unit yet but I have seen their DAB tuner and it looks good. Regarding the reception, get yourself a decent antenna and stick it on the roof/wall or in the garden mate. They're cheap as chips and will enable you to get more stations and with better reception.

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 83
master7045, look on audiogon for the nad c270.
Audiogon has alot of nad gear for sale and it's a good setup they have there. I personally have sold two items and if your wise about it you should have no worries.

Mr. King, seems like the cambridge units are not quite up to the build standards of the nads. I have also heard of the azur cdp having some issues... You know king here in the states we have many stations, but there are some things to note: first, a handful if even that many corporations own the stations with high wattage outputs, second, this ownership leads to a consolodation of the material played, our rock stations (outside of one, wxrt which is the bees knees) play rock that is new, ie garbage... There is not the variety there should be in material played on the fm band. I am hoping since satellite radio is around that the "free radio" stations will feel some competition and play more VARIETY... That mr king is the achillies heel of fm radio in the states, only playing newer material... I swear if i didn't have that wxrt I would find the fm band almost useless, that is why I am on a quest to get the college stations... You are correct, I will have to erect an outside antenna because my desire to get in the two stations is stronger than my being defeatist about the situation :-)...

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 198
Unbridled,

Yes, do it man! Won't take you more than a morning's work to erect your antenna (you know what I mean) and do the cabling. Well worth it if you can then catch some cool stations. I kind of miss the radio (FM), used to be good in the 80's when I was growing up. It's been rubbish now for years over here, just mindless pop and cheesey dance cack on EVERY channel - where's all the variety? I like a good dance tune and I like a good pop tune (although I'm a rocker) but the kind of throwaway modern rubbish they churn out on the airwaves lost me years ago. I guess you've cheered me up a bit regarding radio across the pond, I always took it to be top dollar. Still, I bet it ***** on our FM!

Unregistered guest
hey everyone,

I was just reading all the comments on Nad gear because i am interrested in buying some of their silver line of electronics. does anyone have an opinion on whether or not it is worth the extra cash over the c series. I would really like your help you all seem to know what you are talking about and I am new to hi-fi.

thanks
ash

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 235
Silverline is good kit, the combo S300 probably being the best. The S100 & S200 are a more traditional "Nad" sound but despite the better build quality and aesthetics whether the extra outlay is worth it over the classic series is debatable. The S300 doesn't have the usual "Nad sound" however, it is a much more high-end product. It's a little bright for me as I like the warmer Nad sound but there's no disputing the quality and the bass is tight, fast and deep as anything.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a NAD T762 surround receiver but I don't use any of its internal amplification. I want to replace the T762 with a T163 Processor.

I take all the pre-outs from the T762 to a pair of NAD C272's for the left and right speakers (bi-amped, not bridged) a NAD C270 for the rear speakers and an old NAD 317 bridged for the centre speaker. I just use the power amp section of the C317 integrated amp by removing the links from its pre amp section. I'd like to replace the C317 integrated with another C272 or C272 just because I love the look of all the power amps on the equipment rack. I just wish the T762 receiver had a 12 Volt trigger out to turn them all on and off! The C163 7 channel processor does but they tell me here in Dubai that they are out of production already! Does anybody know if that is true?

Before you tell me this is OTT remember the famous words of Tim (the toolman) Taylor "There is no such thing as 2 much power" I also have a very big space to fill with sound.

Am I the only person noticing the gradual downspeccing of Nad front panels?

Oldest, NAD C317 - Extruded Aluminum
Old, NAD C270 - painted sheet metal
New, NAD C270 - Plastic!!!

I expect more.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 236
Not familiar with the C163 I'm afraid. My C270 power amps have a metal front, are you sure yours are plastic??? Or do you mean the C272 being plastic? I know the cheaper Nad amps, the C320BEE for instance, have plastic face plates but I always thought the upper models had metal.

grunter
Unregistered guest
Sorry, yes, it's my new C272 that has the plastic fascia. The Hi-Fi store didn't have one on display and the box mine came in was unopened so imagine my dissapointment when I opened it up when I got it home!

So not only did I not listen to the Amplifier before buying it I didn't even look at it. It's a lesson learnt.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 238
It's definitely plastic, are you sure it isn't just metal but with a different finish to it? I've read that the C272 is supposed to be metal-fronted.

Bronze Member
Username: Wolfson

Post Number: 18
My C352 is an all metal front. However I could see someone mistaking it for plastic if they dont look close enough. Metal will be colder to the touch if that makes sense.

E-mail NAD and inquire if it's not or why they chose not to. Its only a face plate. Besides your still getting one hell of an amp for 699 and its the sound that counts.

Oh Well you cant make everyone happy I guess.

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 83
I just want to point out that the 350 is only like 2 years old people! It's not exactly out of date! It would be a way better amp for the same money.

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 84
oh.. and my C370 (same generation as the 350) is an entirely metal case.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 241
Who was saying the C350 is "old"? I used to have one and then went to the C370, closely followed by the C160/C270 pre & power. I prefer the C350 to the C320BEE but there isn't a lot in it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us