Firebreathing MONSTER-sub on it's way:-)

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 822
The SVS PB12-plus/2 is on it's way:-) Whoa, I cant wait to hear this beast!!

Can you say "Leap of Faith"??

Anyway, it's not much of a 'leap' since this mutha is guaranteed to be nasty. I should have it before Friday, and I'll give an update when it breathes to life.

Woooo Hoo!!

If I end up carrying on about this subs greatness for weeks to follow, you can blame edster since he supplied the origional link that caught my interest. This beast is 'behemoth' personified. The SVS products are clearly the 'nastiest' subs I have ever seen in this price range, and I simply had to own one for myself:-)

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 369
Congrats Paul, looking forward to your report when it arrives!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 469
Careful with your language, you could get sued!

Silver Member

Post Number: 826
gosh...

I just hope it gets here by friday.

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 43
Yeah I guess if you couldnt afford the PB12-Ultra/2, that one would be alright. Enjoy the new sub Paul. That thing looks like it'll blow your house down if you arent careful.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 482
Settle for nothing less than the SS system -

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_ss.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 831
Since we're talking about their top of the line subs, I like their plus/4 better.......

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_b12_plus_4.htm

You wont need to buy two of these puppies. Unless you had a very large room to fill, buying this sub would be serious overkill.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 366
Glad to be of service, Paul.

One of these days maybe I'll finally get you to buy your speakers internet direct too, LOL!

Anybody else here care to help Paul find some equally behemoth INTERNET-DIRECT speakers? (I personally don't know of any that weigh 100lbs each like his beloved CVs.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 835
I'll never buy fronts without hearing them first. All I know is that they wont be half-pints.

Since I'll have a sub, their bottom-end will be of no consequence, but they'll be towers capable of big 'theater-like' output.

Who knows, I may even 'stoop' and add a pair of Paradigm towers in the future......
HEH

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 201
paul, have you ever took a listen to RBH speakers? They have an awesome, ever present sound that makes themselves KNOWN in your room with theatre, but are outstanding with music as well.

They have speakers that come in all sizes and budgets.

http://www.rbhsound.com/

Silver Member

Post Number: 371
Gavin,

are these RBHs Internet-only? No prices listed on the website.

I think Paul may like this one, at 90lbs each:

http://www.rbhsound.com/t1.shtml

Or this one, at 190lbs each:

http://www.rbhsound.com/t2.shtml

Or even more MASSIVE at 280lbs each:

http://www.rbhsound.com/t3.shtml

I think Paul's finally found his dream speakers... : )

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
no. RBH is a dealer specific speaker. They will compete with ESLs in terms with imaging and specificity, but have earth shaking bass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 836
Thanks for the links. Those were pretty sweet, and probably equally expensive and probably more than I would spend for speakers. They were fun look at. It seems that there are hundreds of brands to pick from, and finding the perfect one is like finding the needle in the haystack.

I definitely wont be buying speakers in the near future though. I've gone HT-hogwild and spent about $6k since November upgrading various components. HDTV, receiver, all new cables & wires, dvd player, subwoofer....etc..etc....

sheesh....Ive been on a rampage and need to cool it before the MRS. kicks my aZZ.

I will be researching new fronts though for fun:-) Maybe next year.

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
paul... be sure to keep RBH on your list! The 1266-SE, the speaker I was going to recomend to you, is $2600 per pair, and has positivly thunderous bass, with highs and mids to die for. This is one speaker that will force you to rediscover your music and movies. You will love them!

Silver Member

Post Number: 840
but...but...but, I wont need bass anymore from my fronts:-) I will be looking for large towers but their bottom-end wont matter too much because the sub that will soon be arriving.

I will shop large towers though. If they only go down to the standard 30-35hz that seems common on many of todays towers, it will no longer matter to me. The 1266-SE price is right in my sweet spot though. I'll probably do most of my shopping in the $2-3k range whenever that day arrives. I'd be willing to go higher, but only if something completely knocks me for a loop.

Are these internet only?? I tried to find a dealer near me, and no dealers were listed on the website. I wouldnt buy fronts off the web for the chance for a 'paid in full' free demo.
HEH

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 47
You might just want to do a DIY job. Its much cheaper and you get a speaker custom tailored to your tastes. Plus you can load it with a few bricks to make it heavier!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 844
Yea, good idea.

Maybe I could buy a pair of GMAs and place them inside the tower cabinets for added deadweight.

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
no, RBH is a dealer only speaker. they have a very tight network all over the country. Contact them to find out more. The reason why I mentioned bass is that if you have a main that has bass that blows, it will show in the crossover between main in sub, muddy to tight will be very audiable. I think you will find RBH to fit your needs well.

Give 'em a try!

www.rbhsound.com

email them a info@rbhsound.com for a dealer near you, or give them a call at 800.543.2205

I was just messing around on the website, and didnt find a dealer listing, so this might get your foot in the door.

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
btw... the 1266-SE go down to 27Hz (-3db)

just thought you'd like some information on other speakers that are up your alley.

Silver Member

Post Number: 859
Oh yes.....c'mon baby!! My sub made if from NE ohio to St. Louis. Just 250 more miles and you'll be home:-) It's probably thumping along to the song "Kansas city, here I come" this very moment.

HEH

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 365
haha, i am also curious to see how you like the sub. that thing looks like a beast. one question, why bother with a front grill if it is down firing?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 509
I hope you didn't believe those alleged specs, did you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 860
Naw....specs dont mean that much, and it's the fools that go overboard by overanalyzing, studying, and spending countless hours looking at graphs and numbers. Speakers can have very similar specs on paper, but sound completely different in person.

If anything, I hope to believe some of these 15 'alleged' glowing reviews. These are 15 of the many dozen that I've found, and if this sub is "ANYTHING" remotely close to what some of these individuals claim....whoah...I'll be happy. Once you read enough of them, they all basically say the same thing....Hold on to your hat, and enjoy the ride!!

http://reviews.iwon.com/pscAudioReview/SVS/PRD_154582_2741crx.aspx

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 511
Well, I have to reason to doubt SVS specs. So I'm quite sure you'll be satisfied.

Silver Member

Post Number: 861
IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I knew it's measurements ahead of time, but this mamma is freakin' huge!! It looks much larger than I expected.

Well........
I made a beer run, and now the FUN BEGINNNNNNNNS!!!! After I finish having my fun, I'll share some details at a later time.

Wow.....it's huge. Definitely not for everybody, but perfect for my 'behemoth' taste.......HEH

Silver Member

Post Number: 862
Holy sweet Be-Jesuz....
This thing can cause structural damage to a home......
the soundwaves..oh...MG.....

further details on another day....Just for fun, I took a pic of my 3 year old posing next to it. Until you see that, you couldnt possibly unserstand how massive and wicked this sub is.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 396
Tear the roof off!

Silver Member

Post Number: 414
Or put a hole in the floor! : )

Silver Member

Post Number: 415
Heh heh, who knows, as a bone to his wife Paul just might give up his behemoth CVs for little Paradigm Atoms now that he's got this thing shaking the house all the time!

Silver Member

Post Number: 863
this sub will blow anything into the gutter in the $4k range as if were a cheaply made paper weight.

nuff said......Most people arent deserving such sound. Most sissys will whine about WAF and cry about how a sub this big and powerful wouldnt be approved by the boss.(MRS). For those, I say................hahahahahahahahaha
My response is to GROW SOME!!

I kid you not when I say this sub can blur your vision. Details to follow, for now.....movies are over and time for some ZZZZZZZs.

konamusicman
Unregistered guest
Paul said:

"sheesh....Ive been on a rampage and need to cool it before the MRS. kicks my aZZ."

Silver Member

Post Number: 864
LOL....
True, but you wont see me buying little 'girlyman' speakers for WAF reasons. Unlike many in this forum, I have a spine and wear the pants in my household.

Silver Member

Post Number: 419
ah, the man of endless fightin' words is back! LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 866
haha....

I survived my first night with the SVS, and had plenty of beer for the momentous occasion. I even ordered pizza....hahahah

Are you saying that you didnt approve of my drunken rant posted at 241am EST??
I plan to do a repeat performance tonight:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 421
you were drunk? oops, didn't catch that. thought you were just being your usual self, LOL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 868
by the time I posted that late night comment, I was flying high. My earlier post made at 636pm in this thread was a clue that should have tipped you off.

LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
like I said, you simply sounded IN CHARACTER (as they say in the film industry).

I'm afraid to ask, but what kind of beer do you drink?

Silver Member

Post Number: 870

Last night was 'Boulevard-Pale Ale'. It's a KC local brew made here at home that has become my favorite.
http://www.blvdbeer.com/product_set.html
awesome stuff!!

If Im not drinking the local brew, its either Grolsch, St.Paulis, or Heineken.

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
Saranac is my local brew.

gotta love it.

www.saranac.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 871
Yep, often times the best tasting brew is made right under your nose in your own backyard.

The saranac 'medium' pale ale looks right up my alley. Im a fan of the pale ales. The funny thing is that most are hardly pale in color and quite rich.

Silver Member

Post Number: 427
good for you, Paul! I was afraid that, given your taste in speakers, it was going to be Bud Light or something awful like that.

If you like Pale Ales, try Sierra Nevada---still the gold standard IMHO. Have had many others but none could really match it. Samuel Smith came close though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 875
Drinking bud light is like drinking water.

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
LMAO EDSTER

at least we have paul rescued from KLH

(although, I admit I DID like the KLH reference...the ones that had the yellow kevlar cones. They were great speakers for the price)

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
Paul,

well no, water at least doesn't taste like p e e.

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
Gavin,

yep now the real Everest is how to rescue him from his CVs...lol

Sub-lover
Unregistered guest
I've been watching Paul's evolution into the 'sub'-consious...fascinating! The SVS appears to be a real monster.

I have to ask...what is 'WAF'? I get the gist, just what does the acronym stand for?

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
"Wife Approval Factor" --- the three most feared words to any audio person's ears.

Along with "you've reached your credit limit, sir."

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 437
Very good Edster, you hit the nail on the head on both accounts.

Silver Member

Post Number: 918
Yea, my views on subs have changed drastically. It's amazing what a good sub can do.

I watched "Attack of the Clones" for the first time with the new sub last night, and wow.....

It was like a whole new experience. My old behemoth fronts cant even scratch the surface of what the SVS is capable of.

Username: Jamesslally

Post Number: 6
Paul,

I think I have also decided on an SVS sub after reading these posts and various reviews. I was curious if you considered getting the single speaker ULTRA vs the 2 speaker plus for the same price, and why or why not? Also I can't find too much info that states specifically what the difference is between the plus and ultra lines. Any insight would be appreciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 934
James,
Both are great subs, but the plus/2 has more headroom and has higher output capability than the single-ultra, and that's what attracted me to it. On the downside, it's bigger and heavier.

Because both are premium subs, any 'quality' gains will be increasingly marginal. It really depends on exactly what you're looking for in a sub. For me, the beefier sub with higher output was more attractive. For you, having the ultimate woofer with a little less headroom might be the best. Either way........both are incredible.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us