How much to spend with existing system?

Username: Kosta27

Post Number: 1
I am currently searching for either a pre/pro & amp combo or a receiver that would be a suitable match with my existing equipment. My system consists of a Sony DVP-NS900V dvd/sacd/cd player, (think poor man's 999es) Mission speakers (UK) 780s (main), 771 (surround) 77c (center) and an Energy 10.2 sub. For those not familiar with Mission, their drivers employ the same quasi phase plug design as found on Audioholics' high rated RBH Limited 61-LSE (with the same performance requirements for their electronics). My preferences in sound quality would lean towards that of the new Cambridge Audio Azur 640A integrated amp rather than brighter systems. Where would the line be drawn for considering hopeful candidates?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 405
kostas:

I have both Mission speakers and a similar Sony DVD player of recent vintage, so I have a pretty good idea of your needs. Given you want something that sounds similar to a Cambridge Audio integrated, I would suggest you try a Harman/Kardon, Pioneer Elite, or Marantz A/V receiver. The Marantz is not as laid back as the other two, but any of these brands should give you high quality sound similar to the Cambridge sound you like.

Good luck!

Username: Kosta27

Seattle

Post Number: 6
Thanks Hawk for breaking it down to simple relationships. There is so much to weed through online and magazines. If only they could sum up reviews by simply stating suitable matches for amps with speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us