Speaker/port design advice

Rob Dalton
Unregistered guest
Please help. I am a student at Syracuse U and am doing a thesis design project on speakers. I am looking for some advice on port design. My speaker cabinet is 1.04 cubic feet, and I am using a 6 inch driver. Does anyone know the appropriate port dimensions for such a cabinet?

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 11
Ohh please can I help you with your homework?? Please?????

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 15
Rob - I know little of speaker design. Go to http://www.ishtek.com/spkrs.htm. Click on "Go to The Design Applet." It may be of some help.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 578
What's your major??

Woodshop?

rob dalton
Unregistered guest
they thanks alot jim. i appreciate the help. its weird how hard it is to get advice on these things. guess ive just been confused about what a forum is?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 277
i dont necessarily think the problem is in the forum members but in the way you asked for help. you were basically asking us to do the project for you as maui sarcastically pointed out. if maybe you gave a more indepth reason as to why a college student would be building speakers, or maybe fudge some story as to you interest in audio, then some people might have been willing to help you. with such a brief entry it is hard to see that you have any other intention but to ask for someone else to do the work for you.

rob dalton
Unregistered guest
im just lookin for some help. thats all. I never wanted to offend anyone. im an industrial designer and the engeneering aspect of porting a speaker is way over my head. This forum looked like a good place to find someone who could do what i can't. i would never want someone to do my work for me. I just need some help.

If you want some background info on me I'll give it to you, but I honestly thought it would bore people so I tried to get right to the point. I've always been an speaker enthusiast since I can remember. I've worked as an audio salesman for about five years so I have a pretty good ear for speakers. My interest led me to do a year long thesis on acoustics and am now designing a pair a speakers as the outcome of my research. I originally had them sealed, but havn't gotten the base response out of them that I wanted, so i decided to port them to increase the enclosures efficency.

Now for the past weak I've been doing some trial and errors on porting them with varied results. I dont have any equiptment to test them with so I have to go by ear. This is kinda tough when it takes me twenty minutes in between fiting various port sizes before I can test the next design.

Ive tried using the programs online but I honestly dont know what all the variables are they are asking me. Like what is the Port Tunig Frequency? So if anyone out there could help me I would really appreciate it cuz i am pretty stuck right now.

here is more info on the speaker and cabinet if it helps. Any advice would be incredibly helpful to me, so thank you in advance.

woofer = 6.5 in. polk audio driver
frequency response = 40 hz - 27khz
lowerd -3db limit = 50hz
upper -3db limit = 26khz
efficiency = 89 db

enclosure size = 1.16 cubic feet

rob dalton
Unregistered guest
im just lookin for some help. thats all. I never wanted to offend anyone. im an industrial designer and the engeneering aspect of porting a speaker is way over my head. This forum looked like a good place to find someone who could do what i can't. i would never want someone to do my work for me. I just need some help.

If you want some background info on me I'll give it to you, but I honestly thought it would bore people so I tried to get right to the point. I've always been an speaker enthusiast since I can remember. I've worked as an audio salesman for about five years so I have a pretty good ear for speakers. My interest led me to do a year long thesis on acoustics and am now designing a pair a speakers as the outcome of my research. I originally had them sealed, but havn't gotten the base response out of them that I wanted, so i decided to port them to increase the enclosures efficency.

Now for the past weak I've been doing some trial and errors on porting them with varied results. I dont have any equiptment to test them with so I have to go by ear. This is kinda tough when it takes me twenty minutes in between fiting various port sizes before I can test the next design.

Ive tried using the programs online but I honestly dont know what all the variables are they are asking me. Like what is the Port Tunig Frequency? So if anyone out there could help me I would really appreciate it cuz i am pretty stuck right now.

here is more info on the speaker and cabinet if it helps. Any advice would be incredibly helpful to me, so thank you in advance.

woofer = 6.5 in. polk audio driver
frequency response = 40 hz - 27khz
lowerd -3db limit = 50hz
upper -3db limit = 26khz
efficiency = 89 db

enclosure size = 1.16 cubic feet

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 22
Rob - Don't fret about it. This forum has more than its share of members (and non-members) who seem to skulk around waiting to pounce on anyone who posts a question or offers a reply that, in their pea-brains, offers an opportunity for criticism, ridicule, sarcasm and generally smart-aleck answers. Don't take it personally; everyone is fair game; they offer no one the benefit of the doubt. And they relish it; they wallow in it like a pig in manure.

If you decide to stick around this forum, as difficult as it is, try to ignore their unresponsive, insensitive and inane replies, and wait for replies which are responsive, instructive and civil in nature. There are many knowledgeable folks on this forum whose mamas raised them to respect others.

Now, that said, it did sound a lot like you were wanting someone to do the math for you. Perhaps your question could have been better posed; something like, "Where would I find the forumula for determining the size of a speaker port if I know the size of the box."

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 465
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/ports/

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 180
The real issue is that there are many, many variables that you haven't even touched on. There is no way to accurately determine the size of a port based simply on cabinet size and driver diameter. If you really want to know how to do it you'll need to study up on Theil/Small so you can calculate how your driver will behave in a given enclosure volume.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 46
http://www.eminence.com/eminence/pages/params02/params.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us