Paradigm vs. Klipsch vs. B&W vs. Monitor Audio vs. ???

Bronze Member
Username: Thephatp

Post Number: 20
Yes, yes, I'm starting another one...BUT, I'm trying to nail something down in the next week or so, and I could really use some help here. I'll tell you what I've found, and what I've read, and you tell me what you think, and if I need to check out anything else before I buy.

I've listened to a handful of speakers, but not a lot. I've compared the B&W 300 series and the Klipsch 25 series, and as of now, I'm strongly favoring the Klipsch 25 series. I want to do 7.1, but I can deal with 5.1 for now, as I have a price limit of about $1500-$1600.

I've described this in another post for ease, here it is again...My living room is open (half-wall to left, and open to breakfast and kitchen bar in back), with all ceramic tile, so I've started worrying about the brightness of the room added to the brightness of the speakers I love so much -- the Klipsch 25 series.

I've read a lot on other forums, and I'm discovering other widely favored speakers as well.

So this is what I need to know:
What is comparable to the Klipsch 25 series and B&W 300 series in other lines like Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Boston Acoustics, etc?

I don't know what to look for in Paradigm (their website doesn't break down the speakers as well as other sites). I've been told the Monitor series in Paradigm will rival the Klipsch Reference. What do you think?

I need specific speaker model numbers / series / etc. so that I know exactly what to compare. If I can get a great sound that I love as much as the Klipsch 25 series for a lower price, I'll do it. But I want suggestions instead of going into it blindly! FYI, I listen to a lot of music, and I've found myself favoring floorstanding towers for the fronts.

Any suggestions of what else I should look at that compares with B&W 300 and Klipsch 25 for around the same price or less?

Thanks!!!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 763
In the local store, I saw Klipsch RF-25 sold side-by-side with Paradigm Monitor 7 about 1 month ago. At least, that's what I recall. But looking at the store's web page I see that the Monitor 7 is cheaper than what I saw in the store. Maybe the price recently dropped. So, store prices in Canada:

PARADIGM MONITOR7 C$898.88 /pair
KLIPSCH RF25 C$1188.88 /pair
PARADIGM MONITOR 11 C$1388.88 /pair
KLIPSCH, RF35 C$1488.88 /pair

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 761
At the price of Monitor 7's, the Paradigm Studio 20 sounds far better, same goes for the Monitor 11 vs the Studio 40. The 20's and 40's are standmount but if music is your priority your ears would thank you.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 768
Chad, have you listened to Paradigm's? I would think that Klipsch are more forward-staging than Paradigm and would sound very different (from what others say).

Also, don't buy the RW-8 sub. Get a Hsu instead with the same budget, or a Synergy Sub-12 if you really want to stay with Klipsch. But with subs, there's little point in staying within the brand. I saw your post on the Klipsch forum but thought I'd say that here instead. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Vgtvidz

Post Number: 62
Peter, I guess you're talking about Dumoulin =)... I was able to deal my RF-35 to 1050$ CDN/pair + taxes. Also, when you're an engineer, you're supposed to have a special code on their website which gives you some rebates.

And Chad, just like Peter said, don't buy the RW-8, I have one and I'm replacing it! I'm getting the HSU STF-3. By the way, you can bargain the price on the speakers, it's easy, I'm telling you, I've seen the retailer price of my RF-35 and it was something around 800-900$ CDN. They make a lot of money on audio, don't be scared to bargain!

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 162
I'm not sure of Canadian pricing, but the Studio 20's are US$800. Like Art said, give them a listen they sound great.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 770
Thanks VGT Vidz! Yes I was talking about Dumoulin. Our "Stereo Plus" went out of business, leaving us with Dumoulin and Tanguay Electronique.

They pretty much have a monopoly here, so rebates aren't that great. Plus I hate dealing, so I often end up ordering online. Last fall, when I was buying a sub, I looked at the PW2200 at Stereo Plus and they were quoting me several hundred dollars more than people on the forum were saying I should be able to get without even bargaining! I bought a Hsu instead.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
I tried the PW2200 and I didn't like it, thought it was too boomy, the Klipsch RW-12 was quicker and tighter (imo). I think the PW2200 would be better for movies, anyway, arent you an engineer Peter? Because you could get your loggin for Dumoulin's website and you'd be able to get some rebates on TV/Audio/etc. Also, how would you compare the HSU STF-3 vs the Paradigm PW2200? It's going to be mainly used for music!

Chad, if you can't afford the towers, go with the RB-25 or 35 and get a really good subwoofer, I'm pretty sure you won't notice a big difference and yet, you'll still have an awesome system. Don't forget to pair the whole thing with a good warm receiver, dont go with Yamaha and Denon, personnaly, I never liked the way Klipsch sounded with those, I'd go with Rotel/HK/Or something like that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Ohhh by the way, Chad, when I bought my speakers (RF-35), I tried them against the Monitor 7 and 11, honnestly, I liked Klipsch more, I mean, I love the clean sound. Everything was tested on a Denon 3805 which is not the best receiver for Klipsch imo. Anyway, you like them, buy them =)

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 774
VGT Vidz,

I have a degree in engineering physics, but I don't pay my dues to the Order so I'm not legally an "engineer". :-)

I don't think the PW2200 got a fair shake with me. I went to my local Stereo Plus store last fall with my 7 year-old when we had 15 minutes to spare. The salesman put on a sample DVD and proceeded to show a preview of a horror movie (with my 7 year-old in the room). I could see that the receiver was set to some Pro Logic setting and not Dolby Digital or DTS, so it wasn't even a real LFE signal. The sub was boomy as heck and I commented as much; it was even booming on speech! The salesman looked surprised when I said that and he replied that maybe it wasn't calibrated. He compared with a PDR-10 which sounded much better. The thing is, my mother has a PDR-10 in her living room so I borrowed it for a week. It sounded okay and even helped with music, but when I got the Hsu STF-3 there was no comparison possible. The Hsu goes much lower, can shake the house, and still remains tight and fast on music. It does not muddy music at all, and adds real kick to a drum.

I used to crossover at 80 Hz and it was fantastic. Since my speaker upgrade, I crossover the center at 80 Hz, the surrounds at 60 Hz and the mains at 40 Hz. Sounds great to me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us