Marantz PM7200 vs. Denon PMA2000IVR

Username: Zoey

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I need some advice. I'm considering buying a Marantz PM7200 or a Denon PMA2000IVR, but I can't find a store that carries both units, so I can't do a side-by-side comparison. Each store also has different speakers which makes it even harder to detect the differences. The Denon is twice the cost of the Marantz. I'll be using Linn Ninka speakers and a primare CD unit.

My questions are:
- Which has the better sounds qualities
- Which has more drive power
- If the Denon is a better amp, is the extra cost of the Denon worth it?

Thanks,
Zoey

nout
Unregistered guest
The Denon is the better amp when it comes to buillt quality and speaker control (drive power).
Sound qualities are very subjective, but overall I think the Denon is superior: bigger and more powerful sound, instruments are more "holographic" and the dynamics are better.
Denon's bass however is a love or hate thing: the upper bass is a bit fat...it has a light "loudness" character (something its little brother, the PMA 1500, also has)

The Marantz is more refined and subtle, with sensitive speakers you don't notice the less powerful speaker control the Marantz has in comparison with the Denon...I never heard of the Linn Ninka's...are they difficult to drive?
Denon is bold and expressive, Marantz the understated gentleman.

Although you cannot compare the two side by side, I'd strongly advice to audition both anyway, because they both have their merrits. (I like my Marantz very much)

nout
Unregistered guest
If the Denon is a better amp, is the extra cost of the Denon worth it?

I don't know, it depends on your room size I guess: the Denon is more powerful and strong enough to fill a very large room...and what about your speakers, how difficult are they to drive? (how sensitive are they?)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us