Digi amps suck!

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 56
Just out of curiosity: has anyone ever found a digital amp that distorts less than an .07% from 20Hz-20kHz with all channels driven?

I ask because I'm running a test to see if any digi amp out there can beat good ol' HK analog amps...

bring it on!

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 333
Cy,

you'd probably get more feedback using this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=f530619bf0af7eb73441016784d5f07e &threadid=417894&pagenumber=1

or just posting this new thread there.

Silver Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 116
I know I might get flamed for this but take away the analog and you take away the "warmth" with music and what you have left is a clinical sound - detailed but clinical. At least that's what I experienced. Others will prefer the clinical sound and argue that "warmth" means colored but its what I prefer, as does anyone who uses tube based products (which I do not).

Silver Member

Post Number: 335
Markus,

no flames from me, just more questions: which digital receivers have you auditioned? Please detail the model, source, etc.

Silver Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 118
Edster - to be fair, the model I had for 2 months was the Panasonic XR50. I figured I would just start with one of the better digital receivers from the start as others seem to by hybrids of some sort (Sony, Harman Kardon etc.).

As I said, it was detailed but not to my liking. I prefer a more musical or warm presentation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 376
Markus,

what speakers were you running on the xr50?

I'd imagine if you had warm speakers that would probably take a lot of the edge off the "clinical" quality.

I listened to a friend's JVC RX-F10 running Ascend 340s which are a neutral to warm speaker, and it was pretty amazing.

Silver Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 119
I switched in and out a few of my speakers to form my opinion. They were Monitor Audio B2s, Definitive Technology BP2006TLs and Mirage Omnisats.

Sounded clinical with all of them but then again, I'm used to the sound from Anthem products and most recently Harman Kardon & Nakamichi.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us