Archive through April 20, 2005

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1701
Larry,

My mother had a copy of that story and read it to us on our usual weekend visit. I'm usually the one to give them a laugh or two with the odd joke and she was very pleased with herself to have something for us. Bless her. She's a tiny frail being with a host of problems making her 'golden years' a nightmare. She keeps on going and smiling. I hope to have her courage when it's my turn. Enough.

I don't think I have any talent for writing. Having said that, I did write a manuscript for a crime fiction novel about ten years ago and its fifteen hundred or so pages still hide in a cardboard box awaiting either disposal or another critical look to see if something there might be salvagable. Fuel for thought maybe - fuel for fire more likely. But it was kinda fun to write all the same.

Where we live there is little variation in the seasons. Almost no discernable difference in the lanscape and winter is usually short and mild. Probably much the same as your Swampville in Flawda. In fact the Gold Coast is Australia's equivalent of Florida - it's where a lot of Aussies go for their final fling before resting literally in the land downunder. At least we don't have far to go! LOL!

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 950
MR - Fifteen hundred pages!?! Good Eric, man, have you no mercy for your fingers? (grin) Hey, there's more than enough for a book - just get back into it and edit, edit, edit. Dan Brown could use some competition!

And Good Autumn to you!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1704
And a good Fall to you Larry - no, no, no, please get up!

Why do you guys over there call Autumn Fall anyway - because of the deciduous trees (leaves falling) or because of ice and its perils to humans? Or something else?

Anyway - "Fifteen hundred pages!" That's double spaced Larry. LOL!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3452

I once did a thesis on why Autumn is referred to as Fall. It is 1800 pages long.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 951
Jan V. - and what was your conclusion?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 952
My Rantz - you are right the first time. Autumn is called "fall" here because of the death and falling to the ground of the deciduous leaves. Oh, some people wanted to call the season "Senescence," but the Commoners thought that to high-minded, so "fall" continues. Besides, there is the sound-thing to consider here. Now, Spring, Summer, FALL, Winter sound fine. But what about "spring, summer, SENESCENCE, winter?" Nope doesn't cut it! (grin)

But in truth, we heah in Swampville DO worry about falling on the ice - the cubes that spill out of our hands when we get the ice out of the fridge! I've actually come close! (grin)

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1708
LOL! Larry!

"Jan V. - and what was your conclusion?"

Jan V. - and what was your motivation?

[grin]

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3454

Larry - About what?

Rantz - About what?

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1710
Jan

What about what? Isn't he on third?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 953
Jan V. - your conclusion about why autumn is called fall - I mean, after 1800 pages you should have formed SOME opinion! (grin) Or not. . .

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 1047
I would have concluded the paper was too damn long........................LOL!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3459

Damn Long is selling pork stickers in the bleachers.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1049
LOL!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1050
Jan,

There is a gentleman on Tube Talk that could use some of your input........

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 955
SM - know you're arm-wrestling with Uncle S. at the moment - and I think I speak for all the Dawgs in sending you good wishes for a speedy (and positive) conclusion. . .

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1052
I thought you guys/gal were suppose to remind me never to leave "Old Dogs?. Everytime I do, I run into some twit, who wants to say something moronic.

Back to the cave.........tubes GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3474

Can I say a new defintion of arrogance has been found?

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1724
Rick,

I won't say I told you so, but I told you so! LOL!

I tried to give our friend an image of you sitting across from your customer with a K-bar between your teeth just to show how a salesman closes a deal without resorting to unethical tactics - but it went straight over the poor little guy's head.

Now, about that two foot . . .

This ol' dog is feelin' a litle self concious right now! [grin]

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1725
Jan,

Well, I don't know but at least you can type it LOL!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1054
I'm worn out from chanting all night.....

"Be the Buddist not the Warrior"
Be the Buddist not the Warrior
Be the Buddist not the Warrior

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3478

Funny, I was thinking Arlo Guthry:
"I wanna kill,
I wanna kill ..."

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1055
That would be a waste of good energy and effort. He's already dead from the neck up. I choose to leave him alone to babble away, or just go away...................

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 957
All: Here I am listening to a near-devine recording of Mozart's 40th symphony - re-issue with Szell and the Cleveland band - and somebody e-mails me to switch down and read the Salesman thread that y'all are talking about. Sigh. Ruined the symphony (temporarily) for me. Left a short note which will only get me slammed, I'm sure.

The one thing I've always treasured about youze guyz and this forum is that there is free-will information and friendship - with, uh, "occasional break-downs." (grin)

I hate to see open anger on these forums, and only hope that it doesn't spread to the Dawgs thread - or Discoveries, for that matter!

Time magazine this week has an interesting story on Opera on DVD - and how more and more people want their music "with video." So - I guess/hope we can look forward to more DVDs of opera and orchestral performances? Hope so - I luv them!!

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1727
ANGER - WHADDYA MEAN ANGER?

WHO'S ANGRY?

oLD dOgS DoN't GeT aNgRy - ThEy GeT eVeN!

"more and more people want their music "with video." Larry, finally the opera buffs are catching on LOL!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 959
MR - yeah, there are two schools of "thought" on opera recordings: one, in which I rest, wants to see, as well as hear, the opera. the other folks are happy just listening to the whole thing.

Well, I'm in a constant state of war with an Arizona friend on this - he says he is just as happy listening only, and eschews the "aria" CDs, demanding only the full-length opera CDs. Sigh.

I miss terribly the pagaentry of opera with sound-only, and need the DVD to fully enjoy the operas. I do, however, greatly enjoy the aria CDs.

Diff-runt strokes. . .

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1728
Larry,

Even though I am mostly into different music to you such as old rock, contemporary blues, jazz/blues and some jazz, I must admit to preferring 'listening only' also, but on many occassion we enjoy very much the video/audio concept and have numerous music dvd's to prove it. Seeing the performers strut their stuff often puts them into a different light on the imagination stage when listening.

I am hoping to receive my order of seven hi-res recordings from Acoustic Sounds (all the way from Amerika) today, so we can play them over the weekend. The price was right but it seemed to take five days just to compile them, weigh them, move them to their warehouse before posting. Maybe I just struck a busy time.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 961
My Rantz: Well, sir, you are dealing with a company that is located out in the wilds of Salina, Kansas. Even we here in Ameruka are not quite sure where that is! (grin) Yes, I split my orders between Amazon and Acoustic Sounds - and get fine service from both of them.

I'll be interested to learn about the time lag between your order date and when you actually get your discs! Those of us whose concepts of space and distance fail to include your part of the planet have a difficult time with estimation of delivery services. Now, if I could only visit your fair land, I might get a better idea of what is involved! Although, you must consider my aged and feeble brain. . .

Had to leave that ridiculous Salesperson thread under Speakers - the world is, indeed, full of very pathetic people! Sigh.

More anon. . .

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1732
Larry

Just picked up the order from my P O Box. I ordered April 5 today is April 15th so I guess 10 days is not too shabby. I just finished playing my first Dualdisc (DVD-A/CD) (Robert Cray) without any problem. I down, 6 to go!

I can't help but go to the 'Saleperson' thread - it's so much fun :-)

Later - a weekend of music coming up!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1056
Rantz,

Must be Robert Cray, "Time Will Tell". I'm sure you will enjoy it. I am a huge Robert Cray fan.

Have a great weekend!

PS-Salina, Kansas is like your remote outback, mate.... LOL!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1734
Rick,

Yep - right on. We too are big Robert Cray fans, exellent recording and sound. I'll report on the others after or during the weekend - got some interesting titles - well maybe to you Rick, not Larry LOL!

Kansas - Can't be too bad - I've heard a lot of bluesman say they're going to Kansas City!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1057
That's why they have the blues.............LOL!

All due apologies to residents of Kansas. This is called humor folks, or a feeble attempt at such. Thank you.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 963
MR & Rick: Well, now, as a person who's crossed and criss-crossed Kansas many times (always escaping) I've just got a couple of comments.

first, Kansas City has no relationship to the "real" Kansas, which is small towns and vast expanses of prairie where you can drive a half-day and never see another soul.

Second - those blues-guys sang of Kansas City because for decades it was a center for ladies of the, ahem, "evening" and of clubs where jazz and blues could be found most any night. Nowadays, KC is a rather likeable city - clean and cultural - and the Midwest weather allows you to be comfortable outdoors for about six weeks in spring, and perhaps eight weeks in the fall. Aside from that - YIKES! It's either broiling or freezing. Like most of our "beloved" Midwest.

Rick is correct - rural Kansas = Outback - without kangaroos! (grin)

MR - you get your CDs nearly as fast as I do! And I hope - despite the fact that you diss my music choices (double grin) - you enjoy your discs, one by one.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3499

Many bluesmen may say they're going to Kansas City, but they end up in Missouri.

Sorry, inside joke the those in the US.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 964
Jan V. - good point. Most of the good restaurants, etc. are in KC, Missouri, not Kansas. But in the "olden" days, Kansas side of the river had more red lights and blues notes.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1735
"despite the fact that you diss my music choices"

Not at all Larry - just know a lot of my music is not your music - though I know we could both sit in the same jazz club on occassion.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 968
My Rantz: Hope you got that double-grin when I talked about dissing. . . tongue hurts when in cheek. Old Canuck saying. (I think)

Hope you're enjoying your new finds from AS - Mer and I always look forward to the UPS or FedEx trucks - they honk and we run! (grin) sorta like an extended Christmas. . .yep.

Happy Weekend. . .

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2387
Sorry guy's and gal's I haven't been to comunative lately I've been really
really busy at work and home. Then I was sick and went to the hospital to have my back
looked at when I screwed it up this last weekend.

But I seem to be over the sickness and the back is much better.

So On to the new toys again. Hope all of the dogs are having a good long listen
to there music systems in whatever form makes them happy!

See that rants has new music and larry has his disk player back and jan
has his tubes untied while rick is still in the cave with his tubes and sm
went back to the trusty but not crusty mac while john is playing with his new/
old fangled speakers I belive 2c has new speaks and amperage.

Sem anything new with you? How about donrx? Arnold Layne? ben james?

Am I forgetting anyone? If I am I am truly sorry as I have a very bad memory!

Anyway's hope all the dogs are doing just fine!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1060
.........they honk and we run!

A Pavlov conditioned reflex we all have, LOL!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 970
Rick: - all too true! (grin)

Kegman - welcome back - and welcome to your back - and we hope all is better for you! I empathize, as my back "went out" a couple of weeks ago, and is just now returning to what passes for "normal."

Yes, I believe all the OD's are in pretty good shape - except perhaps for SM, who disappeared under mounds of tax forms, and hasn't been heard from since. . .

My Rantz has set a long-distance-ordering record, with his recent purchase from Acoustic Sounds. A LONG way from Salina, Kansas, USA, to the friendly confines of Australia! And the dear chap got his CDs in 10 days! Takes me 5 days to get them here in Swampville! With no ocean to cross!!

And yes, Kegger, my "second" Yammie is doing pretty well - so far. I'm trying to think only positive thoughts, however. . .

Have a Great Weekend. . .

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 449
Kegger, sorry to hear about your back problem, they can be a real pain. Glad its doing much better now. I've been quiet as of late, though still pop in daily to keep up.

I spent some time last night reading about salespeople and speaker sensitivity. My god!! Easily as entertaining as anything Hiaasen has penned, eh Larry? :-)

Take care all. Have a great wekend!!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3002
Good to read that, Kegger. For the back, consider a treatment of plenty of listening with a little light exercise now and then. Say, turning over the LP.....

The Magic Flute is "Live from the Met" today, Larry. Someone tell Rick.

Jan,

Surely everyone knows Kansas City is not in Kansas. I liked the Beatles' version, myself. They could do twelve-bar OK in the early days. We once stayed overnight in Michigan City, which, if I remember correctly, is in Indiana. There must be stories behond these geographical curiosities.

Jan - do you know Michael Tippett's "A child of our time"? I was reminded of it this morning, listening to his "Concerto for Double String Orchestra". From all our posts on music, politics, and everything, "A child of our time" seems to me to have "J. Vigne" written all through it, and could not fail to stir. You've been missing out the "On this day". Yesterday was the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Belsen.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3511

"Surely everyone knows Kansas City is not in Kansas."

But it is. But, of course, it's not.

I'm unfamiliar with the piece, John. I'll try to find it. I have been rather lax of late on the historical stuff. The back room is nearing completion and so time has been directed elsewhere. Important days are ahead and I'll get back at it.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3512

To all who have checked in on the "Salespeople" thread; does anyone else wonder if eddie's last name might be Haskell?

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2391
Oh I forgot the gentelmen I got the table from is "supposably" the largest LP
dealer in north america and he just finished his list he sends to his customers
by mail and gave me a few copies of them for anyone who may be interested.
HE's listed in the latest issue of stereophile I believe "Larry Bright"

And John I am on the phono thread!

So if anyone would like to be sent a copy of the list just shoot me an email
with your address I'll send them. I was thinking Jan and John would maybe want one
but I don't know who else might want one.

I can give you his name/email/phone # if you would like to contact him.
He deals all over the world and 2 of the envelopes allready have postage
for your area of the world John so it's no big deal for me to send them.

He deals mainly in classical and has tons, if you want it he's probably got a
couple copies of it! His whole house upstairs and downstairs, every nook and cranny
is filled to the ceiling and then some!

I just bought a stack of rock from him as he does have some rock upto about 1980.
I believe he has new and used but would not sell a record that was not in excelent
shape unless noted and I believe on his list he grades them. I played 3 of the
albums I got from him and they look pretty new to me.

So party on Garth!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3003
Thanks, Kegger. I will e-mail you. I do not have my TT at present but it will be good to have the list.

Jan, I will not prattle on about that piece. Just listen. You gotta. I will not write any more, except to say it starts with reference to an historial event, and has a political agenda, plus the music is by Tippett. I heard Tippett give a pre-prom talk about it, once. He probably would have expected the audience to have read a programme note (I should think his own) or similar, and probably also have the libretto at hand, so a well-produced CD with booklet etc. would be the thing. No point in ripping; it is not background music. But there are excerpts which you have probably already heard, or at least heard of.

I'll see if I can find a good version over here and maybe send it if you are interested. I have a CD but it is in Sweden.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3515

John - Send something along when possible. I'll look for a copy locally.

Kegegr - I have been finding most of what I want on LP in the shops around town and at the library book store. I found two lesser known Mercury Living Presence Stereo discs at the Salvation Army for $1.99 each and asked for a deal. I ended up with 12 discs for $1.00. There was a Living Stereo (mono) and a few demonstration discs from the early 1960's that looked brand new.

At the library I found several interesting items. Mercury's, Red Seal's (before 1970), Columbia's, EMI's and so forth. Most of what is at the library has already been picked over for anything extremely valuable but I walked away with about 60 albums for $12.00. I went back a few weeks later and asked for the same deal and got another 25 for $5.00.

That will give me plenty to listen to for a long time. Virtually nothing I've picked up from these sources has been less than good quality and some has been close to excellent. I stay away from most didcs that were pressed after about 1975; by then the quality of too many companies had started down hill. I definitely pass on the DG's and Angel's from that period.

The older discs don't flex when you pick them up like the stuff from the '70's does. It may not be 180 gram audiophile vinyl, but most all of what I have been finding was produced before the LP manufacturers started grinding up old records (label and all) to make new crappy vinyl.

I'd appreciate the gentleman's email address, but I doubt I'll be in the market for much.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 972
Sem: Had to chuckle at your posting. Yep, Carl H. writes very well about people as pathetic and ridiculous as the "Salesmen" poster in question. The difference in writing is that Mr. Hiaasen is very intelligent. . .

John A. - if you look closely at a map you will see that there are two Kansas City's - one in Kansas (surprise!) the other jest acrost duh rivah in Missouri. One is better than the other, but I shall let each person who reads this decide for him/herself which is which! (grin)

Yep - I'm "into" the Met broadcast even as I type this. Love that opera! Just wish they could broadcast it on TV as well as radio! Wishful thinking, I know. . .

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3006
Where is this "Salesmen" thread? I am out of the loop.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1061
Under SPEAKERS John.

Thanks for the tip on The Magic Flute!

Cheers!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3008
Thanks, Rick. I've taken a look, but don't think I can add anything to that thread. Has anyone else noticed that J.V. contributes knowledge and insight here, a public forum, and for free?

I listened to the first 25 mins of "live from the Met". It was great. I keep suggesting we open the DVD, but tonight "Volcano" wins, it is on TV, so I take a look at ecoustics.

Good to hear from you, Sem!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3517

John - Thanks for the comment. The "Salespeople" thread is best left to die with eddie making rude comments about everyone he can find. I've read the thread again to see where I think it went off course and still come to the conclusion the 100+ posts on that thread were mostly reasoned responses to ed and ed insulting anyone who disagreed (and insulting people who weren't even there). If anyone comes across that thread at some future date, I'll leave it up to them to decide who was making sense.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the person who started that thread.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3009
I did not read it all, Jan, but I came away with the conclusion that Mr Ed makes some sort of living by lying to customers, and is trying to persuade himself that all salespeople do the same. That may be unfair, but "fair" is probably not an issue.

I said I would wrote no more on ACOOT, but, the outline and some notes are on:-

http://www.michael-tippett.com/iocchildeng.htm

Pull-quote: "I would know my shadow and my light, so shall I at last be whole".

But one has to listen. The whole thing. The words, on their own, do not do it justice.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 973
All: So - what is happening to the world? I read the "Salesman" thread and I feel insulted and angry. I go out to shop and people yell at each other and push each other's cars - I nearly got hit today by a woman who was angry, shouting, and going from lane to lane on the road. She hit the car next to me, and sped off. I tried to catch her and get the license, but stopped when I hit 60 mph - I just don't understand. I find this every day when I leave the cozy confines of my humble home. Sigh. WHAT IS HAPPENING?????

Sigh - sorry, Dawgs, I get so frustrated sometimes that I just shout. Nobody pays any attention, and I ease off into a Scotch and a book. Yep. . .

Respectfully (and calmly). . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 450

quote:

Good to hear from you, Sem!

Thanks John. I'm here often, mostly lurking, though I'm surprised you all couldn't hear me laughing as I read the salesman thread.

quote:

Sem: Had to chuckle at your posting. Yep, Carl H. writes very well about people as pathetic and ridiculous as the "Salesmen" poster in question. The difference in writing is that Mr. Hiaasen is very intelligent. . .

Larry, if you're interested, 60 Minutes will be doing a segment featuring Hiaasen tomorrow night. I'll be sure to watch, or at least tape for later.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 977
Sem: Thanks for the heads-up on Hiaasen on 60-M, and I'll surely try to remember to watch! I've been a huge fan of his for years - and hope he comes out with a new book soon!

If you "enjoy" the Salesman thread, you'll surely enjoy his latest outrageous blast at me - and my key-turning exit from his ranting. . .

SM - hope you made it through all of "Uncle's" paperwork OK - we await your pleasant "voice" again on the forum. . .

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3012
Sem,

Hail, fellow veteran! I am sure we both remember several posters like that Ed-person.

My conclusion is that they detect respect and trust, and get a kick out of trying to destroy what they are unable to create themselves. Rather as the junior sociopath enjoys destroying sandcastles made with care by children who take pleasure in working together. What the wreckers crave most is an audience which will admire the effortless way they can hurt people. They are always disappointed, and go away with more resentment at the unfairness of a world that does not acknowldge that they are more important than everyone else.

Hey, Sem: have you, too, gone "back to basics"? Got a tube amp, yet? No? Still listening to 5.1 with NAD and PSB...? Tut, tut! And you live so close to the McIntosh factory, too...

What a crazy forum. Why are we doing this.

Best to all.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1062
"I've read the thread again to try to see where it went off course."

It went off course when I lost my temper! For that I apologise to you all. I am ashamed when things like that happen. I shouldn't let some jerk get under my skin like that. I realized my mistake and thought the best course of action was to be silent. This guy obviously feeds off negative energy and karma from others.

Again my sincere apologies..............

"Why are we doing this?"

Because of the sound John! LOL!

Cheers to All

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3015
Rick,

I thought your posts on that thread were reasonableness itself. The "best price" includes service. Who can argue with that?

I wonder if you heard any of "Die Zauberflote" yesterday? New York Metropolitan Opera Chorus and Orchestra, conductor James Levine.

"Live from the Met" is on BBC Radio 3, FM analogue stereo. I guess it is beamed by digital satellite at GHz frequency. Wonderful sound quality. Is that not a marvellous thing? It starts at 6.30 p.m., here,; just right, except it competes with "Dr Who", which is on TV, and at 7 p.m. New Yorkers really attend opera at 1.30 p.m. on Saturday afternoon.....?!

My best wishes, Mr Barnes. I think I would be inclined to stay in what I believe was once called The Big Apple.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 978
John A. - thank you for a "reasonable" posting regarding the mind-warped comments from one obviously sick person on "Salespeople." Sigh. The one nice thing here is that, as I did, you can just lock the thread-door and walk away. . .

Yes to the Met - on all accounts. Oh, the Queen of the Night did strain a bit at the top notes, but her role is nearly impossible to sing! I give her several extra marks just for trying!!!

And yes, New Yorkers DO go to the Met of a Saturday afternoon - even been there myself, years back. . . Full house, too!

Rick: losing temper happens to all of us, sooner or later. Human nature, don't you know? Yep. . . For years, as a reporter, I had to face the likes of our common foe, and learned the fine art of shunning. Christians would know it as "turning the other cheek," I suppose - but it goes farther than that. Think of "ignoring" as the ultimate insult to a person who feeds on negative energy.

I have a policeman-friend in Chicago - a very bright young(er) man - son of our best friends, in fact. Once, of an evening, we sat and talked about dealing with the problem-people. He said that it is standard police practice never, ever to try to argue with a mental case, or a person on drugs. Their brains, he said, are simply wired differently, and thus not capable of rational and civil response.

Do I see this on another thread here? 'Scuse me for quoting, Kegger, but: "Yep."

I tend to "wimp out" when being taunted - I am not a good word-fighter, because my sainted Mother taught me at a very early age to be "civil in all that you say and do." Don't the British rub that into students in their schools? I'm sure they still do. . .

And as for John A.' suggestion that you remain in New York - aside from the winters, I might tend to agree. Mer and I have found relative happiness here in Naples - it is a truly beautiful town - but we must away to the wilds of Chicago every now and again for total immersion in The Arts. Symphony, opera, museums, plays,art galleries. . .

When you move down here, Rick, choose your town/city very carefully.

And John - we all wish that you could visit us, if only to see the various aspects of life in an environment truly "foreign" to what you have as everyday living. You are always welcome. . .

Sem - yes, I remember 60 minutes tonight - in fact (grin) Mer set an alarm clock for 7 p.m. - so we wouldn't forget it! How's THAT for intensity? (snicker)

And a fine day to all. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3016
Thanks, Larry. The sayings we take to heart. I remember "Never say anything behind someone's back you would not say to his face". It seems to me that there is a kind of simple integrity in that.

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 267
Hey Dogs,

Kegger hope you are feeling better and playing with your new toys!

I just finished an 8 hour "shift" of landscaping. Dug 18 holes and stuck plants in 'em, mowed the lawn, pulled weeds, etc. And that was just the front yard.

Came across this on CNN and I remembered there was a brief discussion of it on OD last year....

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/04/12/eye.ent.alpert/index.html

The Onix was packed up and shipped on Tuesday. Wished I had waited another day....on Wednesday, I did the taxes over and found some significant expenses I forgot to deduct and it reduced the total due by 63%.

Off to some fish sticks for grownups. Mahi-Mahi soaked in cream of Coconut, rolled in fresh coconut shavings and a light breading served with a side sugar snap peas and fresh pineapple. Good evening to all!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1064
SM,

YUM! Ejoy......

Good to hear from you, and glad you are feeling better.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1736
S.M.

Glad to see you are still A & W. Good to hear someone is doing some "yard" work, perhaps you might motivate me - but probably not. Gardening is not my on my 'favourites' list. Shame about the Onix - did you send the entire package back?

The dessert on Herb Alpert's "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" looks really scrumptious - are those strawberries on the whipped cream - mmmmmm! Of course the fish sticks sound good also but not nearly as interesting imo. LOL!

Kegger,

Sorry to hear about your health problems but pleased you are feeling better again. Now, just watch for radiation burns from all that tube gear [grin].

John A

Thankyou for the character description on the "Tubes" thread. Honestly, I do rather think that one was a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Also I don't believe I could be of much assistance to the guy from Tasmania as he could just as easily click on google as I could to locate tube/valve dealers here in Aus' though there is one nearby and I'll give him the web link on the Tubes thread.

Okay I know everyone can't wait for my assessment of the hi-res surround recordings I received from Acoustic sounds (yes I am being facetious) but I will post them anyway on the 'Rating' thread soon. I actually put in another order on the weekend for 6 more surround recordings and will place a further order when Dire Strait's "Brothers In Arms" is released.

What I will say here, is that hi-res surround continues to amaze me more and more. Anyone saying its affect on music is anything but very positive can't have heard it correctly or has their ears full of wax - and if I upset anyone by that statement, it's not personal, just how I hear it. Of course some of you may dismiss me as some backwater yahoo who wouldn't know music from a chainsaw, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Interesting note: I read on a tube manufacturer's website (It was a UK site on the Google ads sidebar but can no longer find it) that their amp's will improve sound ten times more than cables will - well. I guess that means many on this forum would be wasting their money on stepping up to tubes eh?

Later!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 981
SM - duh fish sounds great - but - how did you cook it? Bake it? Broil it? Inquiring minds want to know!

Sem: Watched the Hiaasen interview - and my only complaint was that he didn't announce a new book! For anyone who has not read him - please do - especially RICK, who will soon move to the most insane state in the union! Don't let it rub off. . .

Thanks again for the heads-up, Sem. . .

John A. - isn't it true that the "simple sayings" we absorb as very young children stay with us forever? Even if we don't always abide by them! (grin)

REspectfully. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3018
MR,

"Honestly, I do rather think that one was a case of the pot calling the kettle black."

YEP.

Larry,

I've pretty well stuck with than one, it was one of my father's, and got in plenty of hot water as a result. It is not so difficult if you speak a language which pretty well everyone else understands. The number of times in the other places people gave each other pointed looks, and then flipped languages, to make sure they were not understood. I even had that in hifi shops, on occasion.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 983
John A. - I'm sure you've noticed one huge difference between children and "grown-ups:" children just blurt out the truth, while we adults hide behind all sorts of word-facades, in an effort either not to offend or to be "politically correct." (God, how I hate that phrase!!!)

Going back (again) to one of your earlier descriptive phrases: "simple integrity." There you go again, sir - pinpointing a philosophy of life that Rick and I espouse - and it would appear that you do, as well. Bravo, sir. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 984
SM - yoo-hoo. SM, are you there? Ahem - SM . . .calling SM. . .

I can't stand it another minute! HOW DID YOU COOK THAT FISH LAST NIGHT!!! (grin)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 986
Rick: Walk, don't run, to a bookstore or library and pick up "Stormy Weather" or "Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiaasen. Some of his other books, too. Stormy Weather is especially good, in light of all our recent hurricanes. Think: "I'm tying myself to this bridge so the hurricane can hit me square in the face." Yep - it's in the book!

Yah wanna no ah-bout Flawed-duh? He's yer guy.

Fun reading, too!!! (grin)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 987
Rick: PS - once you get down here, if you don't vote "Skink for President" I'll lose all respect for you! (double grin)

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 452

quote:

Sem: Watched the Hiaasen interview - and my only complaint was that he didn't announce a new book! For anyone who has not read him - please do - especially RICK, who will soon move to the most insane state in the union! Don't let it rub off. . .

I watched it too Larry. He's natually very funny, no surprise there. According to his website, he's working on a children's novel titled "Flush" due out in September. I'm a bit behind, just reading "Skinny Dip" now, and as expected its a riot. I agree, everyone, Rick especially, should consider picking up one of his books if you have a good sense of humor and enjoy reading. If you do, just be careful if you're reading in a public place. On more than one occasion I've been known to laugh hysterically in an airport, etc. and getting the strangest looks from people.

http://www.carlhiaasen.com/

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1066
Larry,

I saw Mr. Hiaasen on 60 minutes, and laughed through the entire segment. I only have one question; If Florida is everything he says it is, how is it any different from New York? LOL! Sounds like I'll fit right in. Even my wife stated when she arrives in Florida she wants to simplify her life. She's starting to see it my way. I am a man of few wants, and even fewer needs. I just want to plant my old bones in the sun, and let it be............

Skink for President?

OK you can count on my vote. Anything for a friend. LOL!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 453

quote:

Rick: PS - once you get down here, if you don't vote "Skink for President" I'll lose all respect for you! (double grin)

In case you're wondering, "Skink" is a zany (and recurring) character in a few of Hiaasen's books. He's the ex-Governor (and ex football star, ex Vietnam War hero), of Florida who one day, after becoming fed up with the politcal corruption in Florida, literally walks out of the Capital and into the everglades. With a mismatched glass eye and donning a woman's shower cap, he becomes a hermit living in an abandoned station wagon, grilling fresh roadkill for dinner, and doing his best to "right" all those who he sees messing with Florida and her environment. I can't recommend this author enough, and as Larry mentions, "Stormy Weather" would be an excellent jumping off point.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 989
Sem - good points, my friend - and thanks for filling in all the Skink-blanks. Sigh. I should have done so myself (blush). And yes, I have been caught in public laughing a bit too hard whilst reading Hiaasen. Airplanes, especially, can be embarrassing!!! (grin)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 990
Rick: glad you saw Mr. H - and I was absolutely delighted to read that your wonderful wife wants to "simplify her life" once she sheds her New York address. Yep. That's the only way to go. Simple elegance.

Friends still marvel that Mer and I live a very good, but to them spartan, existence. Oh, we have everything we want - but our home is not over-decorated or over-filled with furniture. We tend to keep to our credo of having "a few good things." Emphasis on both "few" and "good."

Especially here in the near-Tropic climes, overstuffed is NOT the way to go! Which you have, I'm sure, already found out.

Now - I dare you, sir, NOT to laugh when you read Mr. Hiaasen. (grin)

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1068
Larry-Sem,

Thanks for the info. Skink sounds like my kind of guy. I'll try to coax him out of the glades to run for office. I'll be his campaign manager. Hell, I may just decide to run for some office myself..............(Jan just hit the deck)

Only kidding JV, I just wanted to see if the paint fumes cleared away.

Cheers!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 991
To all: - OK, friends - can we all agree PLEASE to shum the Salespeople thread? Please? Unless we shun this jerk, he'll just keep feeding on negative energy. .. .

I, for one, value our dear eCoustics forum. Hope you all agree. Only in ignoring this jerk can we regain sanity. . .

This is a plea, not a mere question, OK?

I, for one, have gotten much more than I've ever given on this forum - and I'm a bit desperate now to keep it clean and clear. Humor is fine - even some caustic digging - but juvenile hatred and spite are too much to bear.

OK - off the soapbox. thanx for listening. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 992
Rick: You are most welcome here in Flawed-Duh! But only if you promise NEVER to run for public office. If you do, sir, you will be admitting that you are a scoundrel of some sort - for that's the only people who run for public office here. Trust me, this is true. . .

Skink - WHEN you read about him in Hiaasen's books - makes a lot of sense. Even in a flower-covered shower cap! Yep. Take out his glass eye, polish it up, and utter some sanity! (grin)

BTW - roadkill may be out of favor at the moment, but it has been "unofficially" put on a lot of menues hereabouts!

Welcome to. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 993
SM - urgent plea. Can't stand it another minute. HOW DID YOU COOK THAT FISH??? Sigh.

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

Take the Eh Train to g...

Post Number: 304
Hey, Larry.

Are you going for your 'Gold' member status tonight? Geez, you have 7 posts to go as I type this!

Silver Member

Take the Eh Train to g...

Post Number: 305
As Gore Vidal once said, "Write anything, even if it's a suicide note."

Just kiddin', alright?! Don't take me seriously now, you Old Dawg!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3532

Rick, though I think we might differ on some policy matters, I have no problem with someone who has principles and understands the other guy does also.

Not to steal a thought on writer's, but here in Texas Kin/ky "the Kinkster" Freidman (of Texas Jewboy fame) has declared his run for the Governorship of Texas. His campaign slogan is, "How hard can it be?"

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 998
Don: Well, I'll be durned - haven't paid any attention to the posting-counter. But heck, I think I'll continue to post only award-winning prose, and let the count fall where it may! (falling down laughing)

One, two, three. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 999
Jan V. - Now durn it, fellah! Will yah quit tryin' tah steel our thundah? I mean, here you go, sayin' all sortsah tings about yer nutzy politicians - and we're down heah tryin' best-ust we can to keep our title as "Craziest State in the You-nyon!" Spitoooee. . .

sheesh, guy! have pity, will yah?

(drying eyes after laughing)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1002
To all: Sigh - crossed the Gold Line on the "Music" thread - and bow humbly before you all, awaiting the sword-smack that marks my rite of passage into Gold Status.

respectfully. . .

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3535

Post opinions here:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/132735.html

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1745
Larry, you were golden already. Congratulations. There are some among your elite group that will now try to convince you that tubes, turntables, electrostatic speakers and stereo are the true symbols of the golden membership. They will offer all sorts of advice, they will befriend you, offer their invaluable knowledge, but just remember - it is all a ruse. The equipment they worship is used to playback the mantra of the evil one himself. Hold fast and reject their pleas for change Larry, for they fear new technolgy, as new technology is salvation and only new technology will lead you to the promise land. He knows Larry, listen to Eric in true hi-res surround, and you will find that perfect solid state of tranquility. But you gotta have decent rear speakers LOL!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1004
My Rantz: Thank you, I think! But please remember, sir, that the siren call that you refer to centers on OLD technology. Tubes? Old. Turntables? Old. LPs? Old. Stereo? Old. So "their pleas for change" require a backwards-movement on my part - is that correct? Hmmm. . .

Maybe if everybody puts an LP on a turntable, and plays it backwards, it will sound just like a person on another thread whose name I cannot mention? Hmmm. . .

OK - good posting - and you are quite correct, sir. I do need to do something about those speakers. However, there is the matter of "the wife" and her objection to spending any more money on "stereo stuff." Sigh. . .

Meanwhile, I shall bask in the glow of my Gold Member - and enjoy my solid state - or whatever! (grin)

PS - don't read Salespeople - it will only get you angry all over again. I've begged Admin to delete the stupid thread!

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2402
Larry I see your sporting your new gold member, congrats, A little small but nice though!
Grin, Grin!

Now you guy's gone and done it, talking about that stupid salesmen thread!
You made me finally go check it out and of'course I had to post!

Looks like the only sain one here was miss SM.

---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to everyone for the kind words on my missfortunes lately.
And I'm getting pretty much back to my normal self, notice I did not say
"back to normal" just my normal self, that's all I ask for. LOL!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3537

"Salespeople" has been deleted.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1747
Shame "You Know Who" couldn't be deleted also!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1072
Jan,

I heard the Kink- Freidman story on the radio a few weeks ago. I wanted to ask you about it but I quess I had one of those senior moments. LOL!

I can only imagine the campaign slogans..........

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1008
To all: Wow - first my "small but nice" Gold Member gets toasted - and now there's even greater cause for glass-clinking! Goodbye to bad rubbish. . .

Kegger: I sympathize and empathize re your back. Mine is finally getting back to what is "normal for me." (nice phrase, BTW) Although I have to think before bending!! (grin) We hope our collective positive thoughts have helped. . .

SM: Where are you? Still waiting for my fish-cooking instructions! (grin)

Silver Member

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 307
April 2005 article: Is Vinyl Really Dead?

Click here

Silver Member

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 308
Good morning, All

Never heard of Mr. Hiaasen, but I trust your recommendation and opinion, so I'll check our local library for "Stormy Weather" and possibly, other works.

Sem / Larry, "Stormy Weather" is a good starter?

Thanks.
Don

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3541

1770 - Captain James Cook first spots Australia.

1775: American Revolution begins with battles of Lexington and Concord, Mass.

1927 - Mae West is sentenced to 10 days in jail for obscenity for her play Sex.

1938 - RCA--NBC begins regular television broadcasts.

1943 - World War II: German troops enter the Warsaw ghetto to round up the remaining Jews, starting the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.

1961 - The Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba ends in failure.

1972: The British army is largely cleared of blame for BL00DY Sunday which ended in the deaths of 14 civilians in Northern Ireland.

1993 - The 50-day siege of the Branch Davidian complex outside Waco, Texas, USA, ends when a fire breaks out. Eighty-one people die.

1995 - Oklahoma City bombing: The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, is bombed, killing 168.

Patriots' Day (Massachusetts, USA)
Declaration of Independence Day (Venezuela)
Republic Day (Sierra Leone)

Primrose Day (England) -- primroses are placed on the statue of Benjamin Disraeli in Parliament Square, London on the anniversary of his death (1881).

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 268
Damn! Y'all! Why'd you get the Salesman thread deleted before I got a chance to read it?

Congrats, Larry, on your gold membership. Remember, sometimes you have to step back in order to move forward. Simple elegance, friend. The fish sticks were baked on 375 until golden brown.

Sorry I haven't been active on the forum lately. I'm in one of my "avoid the internet" if possible phases. As a result, I'm behind on email and other things. But, I'm catching up on my yard work, my taxes have been paid, the Panthers season tickets have been bought and I finished reading a book, Farenheit 451.

I know this is a nonsensical post. Sorry. It's been a long day.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1750
SM

Good to see you're back. You didn't miss much on the salesman thread - only the world's dumbest salesman and biggest dope make much better men lose their cool. LOL!

Farenheit 451 - Burn it!

There have been many posts much more nonsensical - I'm guilty for one, but I won't name all the others. Ha Ha.

Cheers

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1012
SM - FINALLY! Thank you! Thought that's what you did, but not sure. Sounds really great!

Don: If you ever want to visit Flawed-Duh! you've gotta read Hiaasen. Stormy Weather is current, because of all our "latest" hurricanes. As a Canadian, you may not get all the nuances, but I hope you dip into his books - we in the "lower" states find them hilarious, and all too true!

Interesting, your "Vinyl" article. Don't really know what to say, except that I'm not about to spend more than a thou USD on a turntable, then cartridge, etc. etc. etc. - plus buying all those discs! For the purists - hey - gotta hand it to you - go for it! I spent too many precious hours grooming and de-staticing and de-popping, etc. my beloved LPs.

When the CDs came out - I raced for them - embraced them - and quickly got disillusioned by their tinny sound. "Perfect" sound? Cut me a break!

Now, however, I find that the latest-generation Redbook CDs and "most" of the SACDs take me back to the sounds of my youth - and the "LP sound." Will I ever consider vinyl again? Nope. No way.

I'll just sit here and wait until Blu-Ray washes over me, and makes all my systems - and discs - obsolete. Heck, I've been obsolete for years!!!
(grin)

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 457
Don,

Stormy Weather would be a good choice, though it really doesn't matter which order you read them in. I jumped around, depending on availablity of the earlier books, but have read the last three in order. Happy reading, just make sure you read it before you burn it.

SM,

The fish sounds good, the Panther season tickets even better. RE: John Fox, Giants loss is Panthers gain.
I remember reading F451 in HS, then seeing the movie later that same year at a church "youth retreat" weekend where the theme was questioning authority. Hope you enjoyed it, I know I did.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2404
SM good to see your still alive and getting ready for the football season.
This should be a very interesting year for both the panthers and the lions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry I know what you mean with the back and all.
I played football all my life from about 8 years old through 2 years of college
ball and never had any health issues so to speak of. So now to have to be aware
and careful of the things I do with my body takes some getting use to. As before
I could do anything and not have issues, now my back and feet get really sore
if I'm not careful of how much I strain myself which these days isn't much. LOL!

Also as I get older I notice I'm starting to develop some alergie issues.
Isn't life just great!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us