Yamaha YSP-1 Digital Sound Projector

Username: Recordseller

Post Number: 1
I am interested in getting the new Yamaha YSP-1 Digital Sound Projector. Does anyone know how to set it up with a Yamaha RX-V2400 Receiver? The receiver does not have any analog outs. The YSP-1 does have coax and optical ins and one set of analog ins. The receiver has pre out jacks for front, surround & subwoofer. Thanks. Jeff

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 639
I've never heard of anyone buying one of those.

Isnt it just 'a speaker'????

Since it's only a speaker, wouldnt you connect it with speakerwire??

Are you thinking about buying this speaker instead of buying a five speaker surround system??

If so.....why?? Im not knocking your idea, but I was curious why someone would buy a single speaker that attempts to replace 5/7 surround speakers. Do you have major space issues?

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 478
No it isn't guys. The YSP-1 is a combined receiver and speakers. That's why it has three digital inputs (and a couple of analogue inputs too). I had fun setting up this little beast last weekend and it actually works!!

It's a great solution for people who don't want railing wires round the room and/or who don't want to live in speaker city.

The YSP-1 has the traditional digital decoders built into it. So it understands Dolby prologic II, Dolby Digital, DTS. It has 42 drive units in it (40 tiny drive units and two ordinary - 4 or 5 inch - drive units at the side), each drive unit has a digital amp powering it. The YSP-1 aims the drive units at the side walls to bounce the appropriate surround information and give you the semblance of surround sound. I don't think it's as good as an equivalent full 5-speaker system for similar money (such as Jamo's DRV50 based system), but it's much better than you'd think.

It has easy and manual setup modes. I went through the manual setup mode to set it up as well as possible for the room we were in. It has all kinds of adjustable paramters, such as how high off the floor it is, the beam angles (horizontal and vertical) to bounce off the wall etc. But it does t his relatively easily since it 'thinks' of speakers in the usual Front Left, Front Right, Centre etc. For example, you change the beam angle until you can almost 'see' a front left speaker, then you change the centre or the front right until you do 'all' the speakers. The final result is really quite believable, if not quite as good as a full surround package.

It has one weakness. Since the drive units aren't particularly big, its bass response isn't the best. It has a subwoofer output and I have tried it with a REL Quake to good effect. A decent sub certainly gives it more depth and more believability.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 640
Frank,

It sounds like a very interesting unit. I have smaller LCD upstairs in the master bedroom, and something like that speaker would be a really cool solution for up there. If it's part/receiver and part speaker, Im assuming it's not only powered, but you can operated it directly by connecting it to the TV without any other components.
I have no interest in building a 5.1surround setup up there, but the thought of that speaker is quite intriquing to say the least.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 480
Paul

That's correct. The Yamaha can take up to 3 digital inputs (1 coax, 2 optical) and a couple of stereo analogue inputs. So you could attach your TV to it via a digital input if the TV supports that for digital surround, or via the TV's stereo outputs for dolby prologic. Add a DVD player to watch DVDs.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Bacchus

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the direction Frank. I picked up a 250watt Klipsch. I will be hooking it all up tomorrow night. Will let y'all know how it works out. I have an eightteen foot vaulted ceiling in the living room so I interested to see its performance.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 486
What's the 250 watt Klipsch for? The Yamaha is a self-contained unit. All you need do is add sources...

Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 196
I'm guessing Rick is talking about a 250w Klipsch sub?

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 489
Aaaahhh!!! Right....

DOH! :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us