Power Ratings Equal or not to be equal

Username: Joey_chips

Fort lauderdal, Fl Usa

Post Number: 1
Im in the market for a new av reciver. Ive looked at sony,harmon kardon and onkyo. They all have differant power ratings. I guess im trying to find out if the sony is a true 100watts per channel or not. I know Onkyo and Harmon are better components and are probabley tru to there power rating where as the sony may not be true to its rating. I just want to get the best sound possible without jepordizing volume or stength. Will they Harmon at 75 watts per channel be a better choice with all Polk speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 347
sorry to say but both sony and onkyo fudge their numbers. i would ditch the idea of getting sony if HK is in your list. 75 watts should be more than plenty for most speakers. also take a look at NAD and marantz. they both make quite good recievers.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 810
I agree. 75watts should be plenty, especially if you own small bookshelf speakers like many in this forum.

Actually, the real answer depends on what Polk models you own, and how you intend to use them. At this point, we dont know whether 75watts is enough, or not.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 354
Receivers I'd look at: HK, Denon, Marantz, and if you're on a tight budget, Pioneer.

Fort lauderdal, Fl Usa

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the responses i think i am going to go with the HK however i do not have bookshelf speakers they are polk monitor 70 floor standing speakers

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
The HK you refer to with 75wpc is probably the 630 or 635, right? That's one SHWEEET receiver!

Are you using a sub with the Monitor 70s?

Fort lauderdal, Fl Usa

Post Number: 5
I have not bought the sub yet, I was looking at the polk 10 50watt because of room size but i have been entertaing the 12". The HK's Im looking at are the AVR635 and the DPR1005

Silver Member

Post Number: 359
Stay away from Polk subs, have heard nothing but bad things about them.

If you have a small room I'd look at the Hsu STF-1, it's $300.

If that's over your budget, I'd get the 10" Dayton sub from partsexpress.com at $145 shipped---this one often is described on audio forums like this as the best under-$300 sub out there.

Now of course if you have more money to spend, that opens up a whole other can of worms.

Between the AVR635 and the DPR1005 I'd take the 635, have heard a lot of grumbles about the 1005 especially when played at louder volumes. The DPR2005 though is supposed to be excellent. Go to the avsforum.com and look at the huge "List of digital receivers" there is some ongoing discussion of the HK digital receivers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us