Bose 601 crossover ?

Username: Bluesy

Post Number: 1
Hi, all. I've had a pair of Bose 601's for about 30 years now. Haven't used them in years. Started using them again and notice that the tweeters don't work. Looking inside, there's a resistor (3.6 ohm 15W) that's connected only on one end. Nothing else looke amiss. Knowing nothing about crossovers, it seems that replacing the resistor might be in order. Anyone experience anything like this before? Should I just solder a new one in? Jeeeeeze, the resistor is only 60 cents. I'd really like to get these speakers going again. Any input would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 614
Try connecting the resistor in both sides.
If you have to replace the resistor, you might want to match the quality - it makes a difference in sound.

You can get the part at www.speakercity.com

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the link.James. The resistor wire is broken off right where it comes out of the resistor! Can't see how to re-connect it without replacing. Will take your advice on a quality replacement. One other thing- some of the tweeters (there are 8 total) read really high (90) ohms when checked with a meter. Not being an electronice guy, can i assume that these speakers are shot? A couple of them read 7-8 ohms. The rest really high. I'd like to be able to troubleshoot these speakers effectively so only the bad parts are replaced. Any was to check the crossovers? Do I check the speakers with all wires to them disconnected? What might that resistor do? Lots of basic questions, but like I said, I'm no electronics guy. TIA for input.

Anonymous

The tweeters that have that high of a resistance are piezo tweeters.

Anonymous

The tweeters that have that high of a resistance are piezo tweeters.

Post Number: 3
Anon;
Now that I know how to read the %^&*@@ meter correctly, most of the tweeters don't work. The ONE that does is 7.2 ohms. I found eight new replacements for $46.50-- but they're 4 ohms. Anyone
know how to utilize these in my existing 601's? Same mounting holes/tapped magnet, just an ohm difference. I'm open to suggestions. Found the resistor(s) at Mouser. There's only four or so components in the crossover-including the switch.
The switch is labeled "symmetry/asymetric" or something like that. Anyone know what that switch actually does? TIA for input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us